Guitar playing spots on board

lisakoivu

My husband bought a Hofner "Shorty" to take on long cruises, so he doesn't lose the callouses on his fingertips. The guitar is electric, but he plays it without any amplification right in our cabin, and it's much quieter than an acoustic guitar would be, not to mention VERY compact. It's perfect for his needs, without bothering another soul around him. I can sit right next to him & watch TV on low while he's playing; that's how soft it sounds.

This is the best solution I have seen. He could add a tiny amp and earphones.

Many cruises ago a fellow cruiser we called Banjo Jack serenaded Lido diners table side against their will. He did not win any friends.

Hello OP. If you'd like the advice from a cruiser and guitar player...

If he's good, people will listen. If he is a pro, he will respect the professional musicians right of way on the ship and not play in public, its just not good etiquette.

I'd bring a Baby Taylor or other travel guitar and only play it in the cabin or on shore. It has the hex key adjustable neck needed for humidity and environment adjustments. You can mute the guitar sound by stuffing one of the towel animals into the soundhole. It also fits in the overhead bin when flying.

btw, it is now considered 'bad form' now in general to play the guitar around the campfire....

It is this. "ON DECK OR IN THE BUFFET' that tell me everything that I need to know.

While one can always find some support, some things, times, places, are simply not appropriate.

No... Just no.

Well.... we're not familiar with the ship. Those two places came to mind. I can see from other responses that there are many other spots. I think there are more private areas on HAL than NCL that he could play and I'm happy for the help in discovering them. I did say buffet when it was closed....

Someone playing the guitar would not bother me, actually I'd probably enjoy it. I didn't understand whether he just wanted to play his instrument every day for practice purposes, or be a performer for the public. There are plenty of spaces out on deck where he could play and the sound of the guitar music would be lost a few feet away. Personally, it's okay with me if he wants to play a guitar on board.

Marianne

Just to play for fun.

Hello OP. If you'd like the advice from a cruiser and guitar player...

If he's good, people will listen. If he is a pro, he will respect the professional musicians right of way on the ship and not play in public, its just not good etiquette.

I'd bring a Baby Taylor or other travel guitar and only play it in the cabin or on shore. It has the hex key adjustable neck needed for humidity and environment adjustments. You can mute the guitar sound by stuffing one of the towel animals into the soundhole. It also fits in the overhead bin when flying.

btw, it is now considered 'bad form' now in general to play the guitar around the campfire....

I never thought about doing some playing on shore. That's a pretty good idea. He has a Voyagaire folding travel guitar with a folding neck that he uses when we travel. ... in case you're curious about those you can have a peek here: http://www.voyageairguitar.com/guitars

There are a few meetings rooms (Half Moon Room/Stuyvesent Room etc) that are used only occasionally and are vacant a lot of the time. I don't see any reason why he couldn't play in these.

This is a great idea. We're just not familiar with the ship. On NCL, space seems to be in short supply, even on the mega ships, everything seems so open and these "quiet spaces" or "vacant spaces" seem almost non-existent.

HAL ships have often had an entertainment staff guitar player - seen them in the MIX and the CrowsNest for usually late afternoon concert time. If there is one onboard, your husband could talk to him about finding some type of rehearsal space that maybe he himself uses. If the smaller meeting rooms are vacant at certain times, that is another indoor spot. Just hope you don't have an interconnecting cabin, because sound might travel more readily through that inter-connecting door than a solid cabin walls.

VOV can be pretty cold, windy any/or rainy out on deck, esp in the forward outer decks so while those are remote nooks on many cruises, not particularly well suited for this on the VOV. Maybe something can be worked out with the cruise director for music trivia and your husband can play a few bars of popular songs for trivial questions. Once they held a passenger talent night - never forget the cruise director's mother singing "I am the Dancing Queen" with all the right moves, but that was a very long cruise with lots of sea days.

That sounds like fun for a transatlantic or something!

...If most of the passengers would feel unhappy, that's what I need to know...

I don't think that you can extrapolate "most passengers" from the comments on CC. I suspect that on any given cruise probably less than 5% even know about CC. As to the wisdom of bringing a guitar on a cruise, as a player, I can't say that I've ever felt the need.

I would think he should play in your cabin or verandah or maybe even poolside but that would be a reach. I would find it annoying if he played in the Lido or MDR.

If I had the cabin beside his, I would find it worse than annoying if he played i n his cabin with no thought to neighbors who had that imposed upon them without asking them first.

If I had the cabin beside his, I would find it worse than annoying if he played i n his cabin with no thought to neighbors who had that imposed upon them without asking them first.

Well that's the problem with playing on a balcony, so that's sort of off my list...unless he did what someone else suggested and brought an amp with headphones. I never thought of that one, and I like it.

Well that's the problem with playing on a balcony, so that's sort of off my list...unless he did what someone else suggested and brought an amp with headphones. I never thought of that one, and I like it.

Many here seem to suggest he leave the guitar home. he has no t chartered a private yacht but is sharing the ship with so many others, some of whom may really do not care to hear a guest playing it . It is not his private vessel.

I am sure he is a b rilliant musician but that is not the point

I don't care how well he plays, I don't want to hear it in my cabin or out and a bout on the ship

AMP and head phones ? Groan , b ad idea IMO

Edited by sail7seas

Many here seem to suggest he leave the guitar home. he has no t chartered a private yacht but is sharing the ship with so many others, some of whom may really do not care to hear a guest playing it . It is not his private vessel.

I am sure he is a b rilliant musician but that is not the point

I don't care how well he plays, I don't want to hear it in my cabin or out and a bout on the ship

AMP and head phones ? Groan , b ad idea IMO

Why? An compact amp with a headphone out would allow the guitar to be player almost noiselessly as the OUT goes to the headphones not speakers. Actually a great idea considering the micro sized headphone amps out there now.

Yeah VOX has a whole array of the mini headphone amps, amPlug G2 series. Using that on a balcony or cabin would be practically noiseless, certainly no noisier than people just having a conversation. May get one for dh to try out at home. Look neat.

Edited by fatcat04

Oh please. Some of these posts are so over the top. If someone is playing an acoustic guitar in the cabin next to you, it's no louder than a TV at an acceptable volume level.[/quote

This assumes volumes is the only thing some dislike about someone disgturbing ghem with playing a musical instrument in their ca bi Maybe they don'gt li the sound of a flute, clarinet or or guitar and should not have the sound forced upon t hem when they are in their cabin for some quiet time. IMO

Oh please. Some of these posts are so over the top. If someone is playing an acoustic guitar in the cabin next to you, it's no louder than a TV at an acceptable volume level.[/quote

This assumes volume is the only thing some dislike about someone disgturbing ghem with playing a musical instrument in their ca bi Maybe they don't like the sound of a flute, clarinet or or guitar and should not have the sound forced upon t hem when they are in their cabin for some quiet time. IMO

Edited by sail7seas

This assumes volumes is the only thing some dislike about someone disgturbing ghem with playing a musical instrument in their ca bi Maybe they don'gt li the sound of a flute, clarinet or or guitar and should not have the sound forced upon t hem when they are in their cabin for some quiet time. IMO

This assumes volume is the only thing some dislike about someone disgturbing ghem with playing a musical instrument in their ca bi Maybe they don't like the sound of a flute, clarinet or or guitar and should not have the sound forced upon t hem when they are in their cabin for some quiet time. IMO

Is there any particular reason why so many of your posts are duplicated?

With the suggested headphones, there is no sound to disturb you. Otherwise, an instrument playing at low volume is no more intrusive than a TV playing in an adjoining cabin.

With the suggested headphones, there is no sound to disturb you. Otherwise, an instrument playing at low volume is no more intrusive than a TV playing in an adjoining cabin.

Any sound from a TV playing in the next cabin is intrusive. We virtually hear nothing from next door cabins, so any noise no matter what the source is unwelcome. Including balconies - conversations at normal listening levels from next door are as unwelcome as cigar smoke coming from the same balconies. One more vote for protecting the quiet nature of HAL ships and their consistently courteous passenger base.

Sorry, do not mean to offend but my vacation is MY vacation, if I choose to go to a show for entertainment that’s fine but I’m not interested in listening to someone randomly playing a guitar or a harmonica, etc. I’d especially be annoyed if I had to listen to it in my cabin or while enjoying my veranda.

Sent from my iPad using Forums