Guitar playing spots on board

lisakoivu

I think this is kind of a weird question, but I guess I just wanted to gather some opinions

My husband is late 40's. We've probably cruised 10 times, mostly for a week at March Break and usually NCL. We cruised Canada New England on HAL once and really loved it.

I am trying to get him to do Voyage of the Vikings next summer - we think the itinerary looks AMAZING, but we have never been on such a long cruise with so many sea days before. I like sea days, but sometimes he gets bored.

He likes to bring his guitar and play around the ship - on deck or in the buffet between meals. Is this going to be possible or really disruptive? Nobody has ever asked him to stop and lots of people seem to really enjoy. He tries to pick a quiet corner.

I'm just always paranoid about ruining someone else's vacation in search of my own, so I'm just wondering what others think. I think 17 days will be a deal breaker without the guitar....

We once had a man sit on a wooden bench outside our window on the promenade and play a guitar softly for about an hour in the evening. It didn't bother us, but if it had we wouldn't have hesitated to ask him to move.

Sorry, Unless there is a slight chance that I enjoyed this for a few moments, there is a better chance that I would be complaining to all of powers that be onboard. I find the very idea of the expectation to be able to play for a 'captive audience' to be offensive.

This is a private and for-pay vacation venue. Not a public square.

I do not buy 'but I might get bored' as a justification.

In the buffet? Even between meals there are people who like to go in for a quiet cup of something, and read in peace. Playing a guitar there is a bad idea.

He should leave the guitar at home. If he can't manage to do that, he should find a place where no one is around to play. Perhaps inside the dining room, away from tables? Some ships have an area for musicians in the dining room.

An outside deck where there is no one else?

Sorry, Unless there is a slight chance that I enjoyed this for a few moments, there is a better chance that I would be complaining to all of powers that be onboard. I find the very idea of the expectation to be able to play for a 'captive audience' to be offensive.

This is a private and for-pay vacation venue. Not a public square.

I do not buy 'but I might get bored' as a justification.

I'm not justifying. I'm asking for opinions. If there was an expectation, I wouldn't ask for opinions. I'd just proceed. I'm really surprised you find my question offensive. Giving offense was certainly not my intention.

Edited by lisakoivu
expansion

Think about this like smoking fumes - except it is a form of noise pollution. Ignored by some; unwelcome by others. Being on ship does require putting limits on one's personal freedoms. Though you raise a good point - should ships maybe offer a public "recreation" room dedicated to those with these sorts of hobbies or crafts that might create noises or fumes? A piano etc for guest use, a place to paint with oils or pound, hammer and glue small projects?

Voyage of the Vikings leaves little time to be bored plus there are excellent books about the Vikings that can take up plenty of spare time. I would not pass up this cruise because one might not find a private place to play one's guitar. Air guitar anyone? I believe there was prior thread when some one asked if it was okay to "softly" play their recorder on board.

While some might find it enjoyable, many, including me, would find it irritating. It reminds me of a friend who brings his guitar to many get togethers and thinks everyone enjoys it - believe me, they don’t and most leave soon after he starts playing, but he never gets the hint.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I appreciate the replies. What is interesting is that, in the moment that he is playing, nobody complains. It's easier to find out what people really think on a message board than in person - which is why I am asking. In person, people just walk by him and smile.....and I'd probably do the same. An interesting commentary on modern society and the willingness to be more blunt when online/anonymous. But I digress. Thanks for the thoughtful replies.

While some might find it enjoyable, many, including me, would find it irritating. It reminds me of a friend who brings his guitar to many get togethers and thinks everyone enjoys it - believe me, they don’t and most leave soon after he starts playing, but he never gets the hint.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This does resonate, thank you.

....... An interesting commentary on modern society and the willingness to be more blunt when online/anonymous. But I digress. ........

Not really. There is an ancient Alasatian folklore character called a "waggi", who once a year hides in his traditional waggi costume and can tell the truth to anyone during the three day late winter Fashnact festival. https://www.gettyimages.in/photos/waggis?sort=mostpopular&mediatype=photography&phrase=waggis

So anonymous "truth telling" appears to be a long-standing human tradition; not just a modern one. And a necessary public safety valve as well. American Revolution was also born out of the wide distribution of pseudonym pamphlets.

Not really. There is an ancient Alasatian folklore character called a "waggi", who once a year hides in his traditional waggi costume and can tell the truth to anyone during the three day late winter Fashnact festival. So anonymous "truth telling" appears to be a long-standing human tradition; not just a modern one. And a necessary public safety valve as well. American Revolution was also born out of the wide distribution of pseudonym pamphlets.

A yearly waggi event could come in handy in many workplaces!

People are ridiculous. He’s not more bothersome than people taking up Lido space to play cards, chair hogs, smokers, people taking 70 zillion pictures, kids on phones, elevator people who are only going one floor, whatever. No one has paid for a private ship. Cruising means you get to deal with other humans who might make noise, be smelly, take up a space you’d like, or just generally interact with you in a way you might find imperfect. If he likes to play, he should bring his guitar and play. If someone takes issue, they can move OR ask him to. No big deal. Cruising with 1000 other people means understanding that 500 of them might be doing something annoying.

A yearly waggi event could come in handy in many workplaces!

Maybe the reason for the success of the Swiss society - they are pretty tight-lipped most of the year, and then it all comes out (in highly regulated fashion) during this three-day festival with is both social and political. The one in Basel Switzerland is particularly well done - we just went again this year. The "cliques" spend all year meeting in private to draw up their protests against the government or society and then act them out "anonymously" during this short time interval. Or private persons are given license to go tell a neighbor off too as long as that person thinks no one can tell who they are in their elaborate costume - in theory anyway.

People are ridiculous. He’s not more bothersome than people taking up Lido space to play cards, chair hogs, smokers, people taking 70 zillion pictures, kids on phones, elevator people who are only going one floor, whatever. No one has paid for a private ship. Cruising means you get to deal with other humans who might make noise, be smelly, take up a space you’d like, or just generally interact with you in a way you might find imperfect. If he likes to play, he should bring his guitar and play. If someone takes issue, they can move OR ask him to. No big deal. Cruising with 1000 other people means understanding that 500 of them might be doing something annoying.

No, you are not entering a free for all space. Check your privilege. But then I see you have very little experience on HAL ships. They are not free for all environments. I hope you enjoy them anyway.

No, you are not entering a free for all space. Check your privilege.

Actually, you are. You’re signing up to sail on a ship with other passengers and public spaces, where the cruise line makes the rules. Unless the cruise ship makes a policy, you have no right to expect fellow passengers to behave in a certain way in those spaces. Check YOUR privilege. It’s not any different than people who bring Bluetooth speakers to the beach or pool. Do I find it annoying - maybe if they are listening to music I don’t like - but that doesn’t mean they aren’t within their rights to do it. I have two choices: 1. Ask them to turn it down 2. Move

No, you are not entering a free for all space. Check your privilege. But then I see you have very little experience on HAL ships. They are not free for all environments. I hope you enjoy them anyway.

The itinerary was right for us, for this trip and we are bringing along an older family member who will enjoy the slower pace and excursions that are geared toward the mobility impaired. In general, I think I will prefer Celebrity to this line, but who knows.

I’m a quiet, polite cruiser. But, I do not allow myself to get my panties in a wad about what others are doing. It’s up to the cruise line to enforce their rules. I have no expectations of others behavior beyond that. I do not expect others to govern their behavior by what I find annoying.

Birthdaygirl30..... You are right on describing "bothersome". One person sitting at a Lido table, or near the Lido center pool, occupying a whole table, loading up the remaining chairs with their personal stuff so no one else can snag a chair, reading a book, with their feet up on another chair, right at noon lunch time. All the while, other people with plates, loaded with food and drinks, from the Lido or Dive-In, trying to find a place to sit and eat their lunch. And the person reading, gives these people with loaded plates a dismissing look, basically saying "I'm here, you're not, and I'm not moving, and I don't care if it's lunchtime".

I see you have very little experience on HAL ships. They are not free for all environments.

Well, it's true that every line is different. People have mostly enjoyed it (or said they have) on NCL. Which is why I'm asking. I know HAL is an older demographic, with a ton of "repeat customers" with high mariner status and such. So that's why I'm asking. Was only on the Maasdam and that was a very quiet cruise for sure.

It's both true that HAL is a mass market line like all the others, that in that case you have to put up with a lot of strangers in close quarters, AND that people who sail HAL have a different view of "noise" and environment than pax on other lines.

So that's why I posted. If most of the passengers would feel unhappy, that's what I need to know, rather than whether it's black and white right or wrong, although I really do appreciate all perspectives.

Hopefully we can all get along.

Actually, you are. You’re signing up to sail on a ship with other passengers and public spaces, where the cruise line makes the rules. Unless the cruise ship makes a policy, you have no right to expect fellow passengers to behave in a certain way in those spaces. Check YOUR privilege. It’s not any different than people who bring Bluetooth speakers to the beach or pool. Do I find it annoying - maybe if they are listening to music I don’t like - but that doesn’t mean they aren’t within their rights to do it. I have two choices: 1. Ask them to turn it down 2. Move

You don't get to use BlueTooth speakers at the pools or out on decks on HAL ships either. You might need an attitude adjustment before you board.

Birthdaygirl30..... You are right on describing "bothersome". One person sitting at a Lido table, or near the Lido center pool, occupying a whole table, loading up the remaining chairs with their personal stuff so no one else can snag a chair, reading a book, with their feet up on another chair, right at noon lunch time. All the while, other people with plates, loaded with food and drinks, from the Lido or Dive-In, trying to find a place to sit and eat their lunch. And the person reading, gives these people with loaded plates a dismissing look, basically saying "I'm here, you're not, and I'm not moving, and I don't care if it's lunchtime".

There are any number of things that other people do on the ship that I find annoying. No worse than on my drive to work, in a crowded mall, etc. This attitude that someone is more entitled to their vacation than another, this expectation of people to follow rules made up in your (the general your, not you in particular) head, it makes people miserable for no reason.

Bottom line: does the cruise line have a rule or policy against something? If not, feel free to have at it. Expect that someone might ask you politely to quit it - decide how you will respond.

I’m never afraid to ask a fellow passenger about sitting in a chair for a minute while I grab a bite and promising to move when the rest of their party arrives. Shockingly, they are almost always happy to make a little room!

Well, first of all, I echo the comments of most other posters that he probably should not be doing it in a public venue like the Lido or atrium.

However, on Deck 6 on the R-class ships there is a small forward open deck area with deck chairs that is very little used. It's not part of a highly-trafficked area -- you have to deliberately WANT to go out there. Since I'm usually in an interior and don't have my own verandah, I like to sit out there and read sometimes. I have VERY rarely encountered other folks out there, other than during glacier-viewing. I'm assuming from the context of your OP that he's doing it for his own enjoyment and not an attempt to "entertain" other pax, so the solitude shouldn't bother him.