Lectures on Emerald Hawaii / Polynesia

tailspintom

Could some of you folks that have recently been on the Princess Hawaii / Polynesia cruise let me know, with some specificity, what the sea day lectures were?

Some time back, (2012 Golden) on a Hawaii cruise, there were two lecturers that were outstanding. Last year, on the Grand, were were underwhelmed with the lectures that were provided. We are hoping that, with the extended sea days on this cruise, there may be some interesting series in the morning and/or afternoon.

In the same vein, was there a string quartet / trio on board?

Could some of you folks that have recently been on the Princess Hawaii / Polynesia cruise let me know, with some specificity, what the sea day lectures were?

Some time back, (2012 Golden) on a Hawaii cruise, there were two lecturers that were outstanding. Last year, on the Grand, were were underwhelmed with the lectures that were provided. We are hoping that, with the extended sea days on this cruise, there may be some interesting series in the morning and/or afternoon.

In the same vein, was there a string quartet / trio on board?

Since the Emerald Princess does not begin its Hawaii & Hawaii/South Pacific voyages until October 4th, doubt anyone has past experience regarding the on board speakers. Elua, Hawaiian cultural program, has reported that they will be assigned to the Emerald for the 2018/19 Hawaii season. Not certain if that includes the 28 day South Pacific voyage.

Since the Emerald Princess does not begin its Hawaii & Hawaii/South Pacific voyages until October 4th, doubt anyone has past experience regarding the on board speakers. Elua, Hawaiian cultural program, has reported that they will be assigned to the Emerald for the 2018/19 Hawaii season. Not certain if that includes the 28 day South Pacific voyage.

Oops my bad. My comment was based on our cruise to Hawaii earlier this year on Grand Princess. Should be representative of what they do.

Was on the March 2018 Hawaii South Pacific 28 day cruise from LA and back . One lecturer spoke about classic cars etc and the other was a retired forensic crime scene detective . Did not attend any lectures as I would rather go to the gym or read.

I've been on two of them. This is what they had.

(1) You should have a Hawaiian couple, can stay the whole time or get off early.

(2)Also a naturalist..talking about the islands,people whales, ect.

(3) then someone else speaking on a different

subject that usually doesn't have to do with cruising

I've been on two of them. This is what they had.

(1) You should have a Hawaiian couple, can stay the whole time or get off early.

(2)Also a naturalist..talking about the islands,people whales, ect.

(3) then someone else speaking on a different

subject that usually doesn't have to do with cruising

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Aloha Kakou,

We will be on the Emerald Princess starting Dec 4 and stay on until mid-March 2019. We will not be sailing on the 28 day SP voyage...although I understand it is an amazing cruise and hopefully one day we will get a chance to work it.

Aloha No,

Tiki Dave

(Of Elua)

http://Www.facebook.com/eluamusic

http://Www.facebook.com/tikidavemusic

We did the 28 day Hawaii/South Pacific cruise last October. There was a woman who lectured on each island as we came to them. She totally blew it on one island - Pago Pago. I believe she was likely speaking about Apia (which we didn't visit) because pretty much everything she said about the island and the culture was totally wrong. There were a lot of very annoyed passengers who listened to her speak and then found out they had been given totally bogus info. Many didn't attend her talks after that fiasco.

Was on the March 2018 Hawaii South Pacific 28 day cruise from LA and back . One lecturer spoke about classic cars etc and the other was a retired forensic crime scene detective . Did not attend any lectures as I would rather go to the gym or read.

The classic car guy is fantastic, as is the forensic speaker. Lucky you if you get to have them. Go and enjoy!

We did the 28 day Hawaii/South Pacific cruise last October. There was a woman who lectured on each island as we came to them. She totally blew it on one island - Pago Pago. I believe she was likely speaking about Apia (which we didn't visit) because pretty much everything she said about the island and the culture was totally wrong. There were a lot of very annoyed passengers who listened to her speak and then found out they had been given totally bogus info. Many didn't attend her talks after that fiasco.

Thanks for the warning, Thrak. We go to Apia, so maybe it will be somewhat useful.

Cruisin'Rabbit, thank you as well. With this many sea days, we like the lectures.... if they are interesting.

Aloha Kakou,

We will be on the Emerald Princess starting Dec 4 and stay on until mid-March 2019. We will not be sailing on the 28 day SP voyage...although I understand it is an amazing cruise and hopefully one day we will get a chance to work it.

Aloha No,

Tiki Dave

(Of Elua)

Www.facebook.com/eluamusic

Www.facebook.com/tikidavemusic

Too bad. You would be great on the 28 day, and it is all related culture.

Aloha Kakou,

Aloha No,

Tiki Dave

(Of Elua)

Www.facebook.com/eluamusic

Www.facebook.com/tikidavemusic

Do you know which ship you will be on after mid March? We will be on the Ruby Princess sailing on March 24,2019. We were hoping that you would be on that sailing.

Aloha Kakou,

We will be on the Emerald Princess starting Dec 4 and stay on until mid-March 2019. (snip)

Yay! I'm (finally) taking my Hawaii cruise this coming January. I've been reading about Elua for years and am thrilled beyond belief that I'm finally going to get a chance to hear your lectures in person.

(snip)

Also an Australian fellow who discussed surviving in the wilderness.

Oh man! If it's Gordon Dedman who is giving the lectures, you owe it to yourself to attend. I had the pleasure of attending his lectures on the Regal back in 2017 and it was pretty much the highlight of my trip. I posted about it here: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=52085183&postcount=44

Maybe I'll get lucky and he'll be on the Emerald this January. I'd love to sit in on his lectures again.

Oh man! If it's Gordon Dedman who is giving the lectures, you owe it to yourself to attend. I had the pleasure of attending his lectures on the Regal back in 2017 and it was pretty much the highlight of my trip. I posted about it here: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=52085183&postcount=44

Maybe I'll get lucky and he'll be on the Emerald this January. I'd love to sit in on his lectures again.

Thanks for the information on Gordon Dedman, I will look out for him in the Patters. Also thanks for the link. I very much enjoyed reading it, especially for you wonderful tongue-in-cheek style.

Aloha Kakou,

Aloha No,

Tiki Dave

(Of Elua)

http://Www.facebook.com/eluamusic

http://Www.facebook.com/tikidavemusic

I am so disappointed ! We board the Star March 30 th for 28 days and I was so hoping you two would be on for the trip. [emoji22]

Brockmom

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Gordon was an excellent speaker about survival. Very valuable ideas for just in case.

Do you know which ship you will be on after mid March? We will be on the Ruby Princess sailing on March 24,2019. We were hoping that you would be on that sailing.

Aloha,

We do not know where we will be after our Emerald assignments. As soon as we know, I will post it here on CC and on our FB page at http://www.facebook.com/eluamusic

Aloha No,

Tiki Dave

Aloha Tiki Dave,

We just booked our 9th Princess Hawaii cruise for January, and I am so glad Elua will be on board. I think you and the lovely Leialoha were on the majority of them. The sea days have such an island flavor thanks to you.

Mahalo,

Lyssa

I’m a Princess Platinum. Lived on the Big Island for 10 years. Sailing on the Oct 4 voyage for nostalgia sake. What would you like to know?

My husband and I will be on the Emerald Oct 4, sailing. We have visited the Big Island twice, previously. On one cruise, we rented a car in Hilo, and, again in Kona, and drove extensively. Another trip, we just wandered around Hilo, on foot. This time, we’re thinking of the Hoppa bus to Rainbow Falls, the to Wed. Mkt, then complete the Hoppa loop. Does that seem like a reasonable plan?

Will we see you at the Meet and Greet?