LL Bean Excursion

I am sailing on the Grandeur on Aug 30 New England Cruise. Has anyone ever done the LL Bean Excursion? What did you like or dislike about it? Was it worth it? Is it mainly shopping? Do you get to visit the factory?

Are you going to Freeport, Maine? I have been there many times and love the whole city. It has great outlet shopping, too.

[

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Are you going to Freeport, Maine? I have been there many times and love the whole city. It has great outlet shopping, too.

[

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think the excursion OP is referring to is from the port of Portland Maine.

Freeport is a short drive from Portland and the home of LL Bean’s flagship store. I would be surprised if an LL Bean excursion out of Portland didn’t go there. And yes, not as good as Kittery, but lots of outlet shopping in the area.

I'm going to preface this by saying this is my own personal opinion and by no means am I trying to discourage you from going to LL Bean (I'm a huge fan myself) if that is on your bucket list. I have been to the LL Bean store, but not through a ship's excursion. While the store is great, if this is your first time to Maine it might be worth checking out some of the sight-seeing excursions. This my personal experience and others may have had a different one, but when I was at the store I found they did not carry several of the items or as large of a variety of a particular item as they have in the catalogs. For example I wanted one of those LL Bean t-shirts but they only carried one design and one color in the store where as there are a few more options in the catalog. They still had a variety of items though and I did not walk out empty handed. Whatever your decision, Maine is a great place to visit.

A few years back we won the excursion to LL Bean/Freeport once on board. A shopping excursion like this isn't something I think I would have purchased, but we really enjoyed it (especially since it was free). If you like going to Cabelas or Bass Pro Shops, you will be impressed with the size of this place, and I bet would enjoy it. But it is just one huge store, we didn't see a factory tour. There are other neat stores in the area as well. Having said that, if we go back to Portland, I am not sure I need to return to Freeport/LL Bean.

Beans has grown into 5 stores in Freeport (flagship, hunting and fishing, bike, ski & boat, home, and outlet). The excursion will most likely simply be a bus to take you to Freeport and back. You will then be free to wander Freeport and visit the Bean stores or any other of the outlet stores there. There really isn't a Bean's factory, as they don't make very much of their merchandise. They make their boots and tote bags and such at their manufacturing facility in Brunswick, ME, about 15 minutes away.

One of the cool things to note if/when you go to the Freeport stores is that none of the outside doors even have locks installed. Since the stores are open 24/7 including an exemption from a state law precluding stores opening on Thanksgiving day, there is no need for any locking of the doors.

I am a big fan of L. L. Bean and have been to the store in the past. But I really feel the best way to visit Bean is on the internet.

I agree... We live about 15 minutes from Bean's and prefer to order on line.

As an aside, the Adventure is our favorite ship, and it was in Portland on Sunday. We happened to park right next to the pier. It felt really weird not to be pulling out our seapass cards and standing in line.

Paul & Michelle

In Maine right now, as we spend every summer up here. Have been to the "Bean Store" and also not that impressed as we could not find many things we were looking for. Prefer to shop online also.

That being said...for the OP, here is a link you will find useful for NE cruising:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20

We were in Portland last month, and did visit the outlet. Very disappointed in the prices at their stores. We did find some bargains at other boutiques, but overall, would of better off going to our local outlet center. Even your ship may have better items and prices.

We have been there, and it is five different stores, besides the main store. I liked walking around Freeport. Hands down, the best chowder I have ever had was in Freeport. I do not remember the name, but it is off the main street across from the LL Bean main store where the ground slopes away, so the place is like in the basement. When you order, it is either cup or bowl, and type (cod,halibut,clam,etc.). Someone ordered in front of us, and wanted Manhattan clam chowder. The look on everyone's faces was priceless.