Wifi Calling on board the Getaway via iPhone to Landline?

cruisegal415

I've been trying to figure the whole wi-fi/cell phone thing for the past day or so. I read that your smart phone can be used to make wi-fi calls without using cell towers. We tried it at home and it worked calling cell to cell. My question is does it work if you call a land line? Our dog is going to be neutered while we're on our cruise and we'll want to check on him after the procedure. We'll be at Harvest Caye the day of and Roatan the next day. I know we will have access to wi fi while at Harvest Caye and where we're going in Roatan (Infinity Bay). Will we be able to make a call from either of those places, or while on board the ship, to a land line to check on our boy?

Also related, we got the 250 minute perk and I see varying answers as to whether we can upgrade to unlimited when on the ship. If not, we can use the 250 minutes on one device and purchase the unlimited on the other device. How do you know when you've reached your 250 minute limit?

Not sure about being on a cruise ship but we used wifi calling while on a land vacation to St. Maarten. The problem arose when I was in the hotel making a wifi call and apparently unbeknownst to me my phone latched on to a nearby cell tower part of the time.

I came home to a hefty bill but luckily Sprint took off almost all of it. The rep told me that next time to make sure I don’t accidentally do that again to call them and let them know so they could prohibit international roaming on their end.

If I were you I would iron out such questions with the cell phone provider before your trip.

Not sure about being on a cruise ship but we used wifi calling while on a land vacation to St. Maarten. The problem arose when I was in the hotel making a wifi call and apparently unbeknownst to me my phone latched on to a nearby cell tower part of the time.

I came home to a hefty bill but luckily Sprint took off almost all of it. The rep told me that next time to make sure I don’t accidentally do that again to call them and let them know so they could prohibit international roaming on their end.

If I were you I would iron out such questions with the cell phone provider before your trip.

Turning on Airplane mode should solve that. Since phone calls are a revenue generator though I wonder if NCL blocks wifi calling...OP you might need to use a VPN.

I've been trying to figure the whole wi-fi/cell phone thing for the past day or so. I read that your smart phone can be used to make wi-fi calls without using cell towers. We tried it at home and it worked calling cell to cell. My question is does it work if you call a land line? Our dog is going to be neutered while we're on our cruise and we'll want to check on him after the procedure. We'll be at Harvest Caye the day of and Roatan the next day. I know we will have access to wi fi while at Harvest Caye and where we're going in Roatan (Infinity Bay). Will we be able to make a call from either of those places, or while on board the ship, to a land line to check on our boy?

Also related, we got the 250 minute perk and I see varying answers as to whether we can upgrade to unlimited when on the ship. If not, we can use the 250 minutes on one device and purchase the unlimited on the other device. How do you know when you've reached your 250 minute limit?

To answer your question, it doesnt matter what number you call (mobile or landline). Like someone stated, put your phone in airplane mode, connect to wifi, enable wifi calling on your device, and then dial away.

Not all mobile phones have wifi calling, in case you should have a different device. If your phone does not, utilize an app like WhatsApp or the like to make calls over wifi rather than cellular towers and incurring $$ from your mobile carrier.

I did this on the Getaway the first week of this month with no issues. Your phone and your carrier must support and allow WiFi calling.

Also I’ve heard the “free” 250 minutes are throttled and VERY slow. We upgraded from the free minutes to the premium unlimited. I have no experience trying to use the free ones for WiFi calling.

You have to upgrade to the premium service. You can use your 250 minutes as a credit toward the premium service.

WiFi calling normally works. Like anywhere, you are sharing the internet connection with hundreds/thousands of other people. Sometimes you will have perfect service. Sometimes you will have drop outs.

to answer the question of "how do I know what minutes I have left..." the ship Wi-Fi service requires that you log in and out. It will display your plan and what you have used/have left each time. Also multiple devices can use your one purchased plan, but only one at a time since you must log in and out. If another device logs in it will ask if you want to log the other out first. We had to always coordinate. "Are you using the Internet now?" "Can I have it for 15 minutes?"

I did this on the Getaway the first week of this month with no issues. Your phone and your carrier must support and allow WiFi calling.

Also I’ve heard the “free” 250 minutes are throttled and VERY slow. We upgraded from the free minutes to the premium unlimited. I have no experience trying to use the free ones for WiFi calling.

Can you tell me how much it cost to upgrade? In 2016, we upgraded our package on the Epic, and I think it was around $89.

See this CNET article about WiFi calling, how it works and how it's handled by different/major US carriers - https://www.cnet.com/news/what-is-wifi-calling-tmobile-verizon-att-sprint-project-fi-setup-faq/

Always reconfirm & check with your carrier about your plan's coverage and know/learn how to tweak the settings on your iPhone or Android devices. Learn about it all and try it before leaving for the next cruise, the middle of the ocean with nearest land tower 25 to 150 miles away is not the place to explore "how to reboot" or "what is Airplane Mode" etc.

For the OP, Getaway's "free" 250 minutes will yield you 200+ usable minutes for WiFi calling and other online use, allowing for time/overheads to log-in and log-out each time to avoid continuing to "run" the usage meter with time being deducted. Make sure you sign-out each time after use to avoid running out the time. For light & occasional usage, it is NOT necessary to upgrade or pay extra for the unlimited minutes/package.

WiFi calling, supported and enabled on iPhone or Android smartphone, does NOT require or need to run off an App - unlike VoIP Apps ... These are the ones we've been using for years - Facebook Messenger, iOS Facetime, Skype, WhatsApp, Google Voice/Hangouts & Duo, Talkatone and Ooma. Calls can be made to/from almost any telephone number, whether it's mobile/cellular or landline number - as long as it can be routed, often free (US/Canada #'s) and/or for a low & nominal rates, as little as 2 cents, 4 cents and sometimes 20 cents a minute - a fraction of what the NCL App iConcierge billed for, while connected to ship's WiFi inTRAnet (where no minutes/airtime are needed or used.)

WiFi calling works well with a typical 3G speed/connection at 1 Mbps, although audio calling has always worked at 2G/Edge speed over Skype audio - less than 3X dial-up (56k) speed.

Useful info about VoIP - https://www.eztalks.com/voip/10-best-voip-apps-for-android-smartphones-and-tablets.html

Welcome to the 21st century ... join the "cut the cord" revolution and cut/drop the landline(s) - it's enough to pay for 1 line of unlimited calling/text/data services each month instead to travel with, along with "home" use.

• Thanks 1

I have a landline, I don’t understand how you could call it using WiFi, since you need an app. We’ve used WiFi to call other cellphones.

The important phone is the one you are calling from, not the one you are calling. As long as your cell phone supports wi-fi calling you can call any number.

Thanks all. Just for kicks, we tried it in our home, turning off our cellular service, just using wi fi and called our own landline and it worked. Wasn't sure if it would be different on a ship or on an island in the Caribbean. Now just hope they let us upgrade from our "free" 250 minute plan to the premium plan. If not, I guess we'll have wi fi on two devices until our 250 minutes runs out. I have read very different answers on this on these boards. It appears it depends on the wi fi master on the ship at the time you try it. The NCL lady said no. But some people here have reported they were able to on board.

See this CNET article about WiFi calling, how it works and how it's handled by different/major US carriers - https://www.cnet.com/news/what-is-wifi-calling-tmobile-verizon-att-sprint-project-fi-setup-faq/

Always reconfirm & check with your carrier about your plan's coverage and know/learn how to tweak the settings on your iPhone or Android devices. Learn about it all and try it before leaving for the next cruise, the middle of the ocean with nearest land tower 25 to 150 miles away is not the place to explore "how to reboot" or "what is Airplane Mode" etc.

For the OP, Getaway's "free" 250 minutes will yield you 200+ usable minutes for WiFi calling and other online use, allowing for time/overheads to log-in and log-out each time to avoid continuing to "run" the usage meter with time being deducted. Make sure you sign-out each time after use to avoid running out the time. For light & occasional usage, it is NOT necessary to upgrade or pay extra for the unlimited minutes/package.

WiFi calling, supported and enabled on iPhone or Android smartphone, does NOT require or need to run off an App - unlike VoIP Apps ... These are the ones we've been using for years - Facebook Messenger, iOS Facetime, Skype, WhatsApp, Google Voice/Hangouts & Duo, Talkatone and Ooma. Calls can be made to/from almost any telephone number, whether it's mobile/cellular or landline number - as long as it can be routed, often free (US/Canada #'s) and/or for a low & nominal rates, as little as 2 cents, 4 cents and sometimes 20 cents a minute - a fraction of what the NCL App iConcierge billed for, while connected to ship's WiFi inTRAnet (where no minutes/airtime are needed or used.)

WiFi calling works well with a typical 3G speed/connection at 1 Mbps, although audio calling has always worked at 2G/Edge speed over Skype audio - less than 3X dial-up (56k) speed.

Useful info about VoIP - https://www.eztalks.com/voip/10-best-voip-apps-for-android-smartphones-and-tablets.html

Welcome to the 21st century ... join the "cut the cord" revolution and cut/drop the landline(s) - it's enough to pay for 1 line of unlimited calling/text/data services each month instead to travel with, along with "home" use.

When I sailed with you guys on the GEM, I used WiFi calling all the time, even while at sea.

The times I did a speed test, I was pleasantly surprised. I was getting 20-30 Mbps download speeds pretty consistently.

At that time, I had an iPhone 7. Now I have an iPhone X.

I used the WhatsApp to call people on cell phones. I turned on the airplane mode and the WiFi. Not sure about landlines.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

One other thought if anyone has issues with WiFi calling- we have Verizon and for $5/day we can use our normal plan when Mexico. They ask you if you want to initiate the services each day of the phone connects to a foreign tower so you always know if you are paying the charge.

I think there is a similar plan for other Central American countries. Just another option.

Thanks all. Just for kicks, we tried it in our home, turning off our cellular service, just using wi fi and called our own landline and it worked. Wasn't sure if it would be different on a ship or on an island in the Caribbean. Now just hope they let us upgrade from our "free" 250 minute plan to the premium plan. If not, I guess we'll have wi fi on two devices until our 250 minutes runs out. I have read very different answers on this on these boards. It appears it depends on the wi fi master on the ship at the time you try it. The NCL lady said no. But some people here have reported they were able to on board.

I have chosen the 250 free mins. Many time and we each get 30 free mins. As platinum. I have never upgraded anything. Internet wa plenty fast and we did countless FaceTime calls.

I will say the first time i used it I didn’t have the best location to use my device. The person at Internet cafe is a ton of help.

If you are calling the vet office be prepared if they answer and rapidly say “can you hold” then put you on a eternal hold. I quickly say “no, i am calling from out of the country”

One other thought if anyone has issues with WiFi calling- we have Verizon and for $5/day we can use our normal plan when Mexico. They ask you if you want to initiate the services each day of the phone connects to a foreign tower so you always know if you are paying the charge.

I think there is a similar plan for other Central American countries. Just another option.

I checked with our telecom office at work last week and they said my Verizon i-phone can make/receive calls from both Honduras and Belize for $10/day. They gave me a handout with three pages of countries now included in the plan (if I recall, it was 130+ countries). Almost all of them are $10/day, with Mexico and Canada at $5/day.

Actually kind of sad that work will still be able to get in touch with me on my vacation. :(

Just put your phone in airplane mode and use an app like; What's App, Skype or Wifi calling. No problem and I've used Skype and What'sApp numerous times.

Take care,

Mike

I just got off the Getaway and my boyfriend had a work emergency come up right before we left which resulted in him purchasing the premium package to be able to do work/make calls on the cruise. He told me if he had paid for it out of pocket (his company paid) he would have been really upset- while he was able to make calls they kept dropping and the wifi went in and out. You should be able to make phone calls with it but be prepared for some frustrations/requirements to be lenient about when the calls are made.

On board the Getaway now. We were able to upgrade for the price difference. The concierge (we were in the Haven) told us to wait for day 2 as it would be only $55 more instead of $85 so we sucked it up and stayed off our devices for one day. It was much easier on the second day since everyone and their brother were doing it yesterday and the lines were long.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• Like 1

So we just got home and I thought I'd report back. The wifi calling works when you're in port with free wifi, it does not work on the ship because they have it blocked. (Concierge confirmed it). However, the day we needed to call to check on the puppy we were on Harvest Caye and I was really upset that they don't offer wi fi there unless you have rented the $300 something cabanas. Every other port we were in, we had access to free wifi. I couldn't believe they didn't offer it on Harvest Caye.

So we just got home and I thought I'd report back. The wifi calling works when you're in port with free wifi, it does not work on the ship because they have it blocked. (Concierge confirmed it). However, the day we needed to call to check on the puppy we were on Harvest Caye and I was really upset that they don't offer wi fi there unless you have rented the $300 something cabanas. Every other port we were in, we had access to free wifi. I couldn't believe they didn't offer it on Harvest Caye.

That is what I speculated earlier in this thread...A VPN will solve that.

• 3 months later...

I just got off the Epic TA from Barcelona and wanted to add my experience.

I bought the Unlimited Premium WiFi package.  Everyone in my cabin was able to use the WiFi calling features of our respective carriers.  My wife and I have T-Mobile, and the two others had Sprint and Verizon.   All of us took and made calls, and texted.  No problems at all and good call quality.

Although I did bring and use a travel router, I didn't need to enable the VPN in order to use any features.

I was able to use an OpenVPN link to my house , and I also tested a Wireguard VPN service, and both worked fine.

Edited by tombec1
  • Like 1