Soda Package Question

jewel825

I have only bought the soda package on Royal Caribbean so I'm not sure how it works with Carnival. On RC, it's fountain drinks only that you can get from a bartender or from the self serve machines when you use the special cup they give you. I bought the package because I preferred fountain drinks over cans.

It sounds like Carnival is only cans which is fine. However, I keep reading that passengers are often served flat sodas from cans already opened and sitting out and warm drinks are poured over ice. Is that really true? If I don't buy the bottomless bubbles and just pay each soda as I go, do they give you the full can then? Or is just whatever fills a glass with ice?

That's partially true.

If you order a soda at a bar that has fountain soda, you'll get fountain soda. But some of those bars don't have some types of soda in the fountain system, so if you order say, a Coke Zero, it will be out of a can. They don't give the whole can, but at the busier bars, they go through the open cans fairly quick.

I've also had bartenders toss the open one and open a new one for me, if they feel it's been sitting for so long.

But you've hit on one of my frustrations. I drink a lot of soda, and I've always bought the soda card. But I'm not really happy with getting warm soda poured over ice. It instantly melts half the ice and gets completely watered down.

So I try to use the indoor bars, where at least the soda is stored at a cooler temp than the outside bars where it sits in the Caribbean sun all day.

In the dining rooms, I've sometimes been brought a cold can and sometimes gotten fountain soda. Not sure if it varies by ship.

Since you prefer fountain soda, just figure out what bars have a fountain system and use those. The bars at the aft corner of the lido deck seem to usually/always give cans.

I've done the BB and yes you get fountain at some bars and cans at others. In the MDR always got a can and the can was left at the table for me. I have also asked for the can at the bars that provide them and have never been refused.

You can purchase it on the second day.

Good to know.. If I purchase it on day 2 of an 8 day cruise will they charge me for 7 days ? I tried purchasing online last night for just myself. Wouldn't go through. When purchasing online are you required to buy for all passanger ?

Yes, what you describe is accurate. We have started to just carry on our own cokes which Carnival allows in your carry-on. Twelve cans per person in your carry-on and you can put twelve for each person in one carry-on. You may also bring more on at each port.

We found that you really only get half a coke when ordering via bottomless bubbles and yes, it is often flat. It is better to order without the package and pay for the whole coke occasionally.

Don't forget you can take your own soda on with you to save the markup Carnival has. You can also buy more in ports. That way you can keep it cold in your fridge and have whatever type soda you want, not just the Coke products.

Good to know.. If I purchase it on day 2 of an 8 day cruise will they charge me for 7 days ? I tried purchasing online last night for just myself. Wouldn't go through. When purchasing online are you required to buy for all passanger ?

you can not buy for day two etc online its for the entire duration and yes you can buy one person at a time.

(you can also carry on your own 12 pack of cans too for each person)

you can not buy for day two etc online its for the entire duration and yes you can buy one person at a time.

(you can also carry on your own 12 pack of cans too for each person)

May have been a problem with website..I was successful in purchasing BB, water, and internet online this morning

They were saying that you cannot purchase for a portion of the cruise (i.e., day 2 onward) online.

That I figured. I just wondered if I purchase onboard on day 2 would I be charged for 8 days or 7 .. Moot point as I was able to purchase all 8 days in advance.. Trying to keep final bill to a minimum.

You're not going to be charged for days you didn't have the ability to use (getting charged for day 1 when buying on day 2).

Understood.. I assume I still have to go to one of the bars on embarkation day so they can put a BB sticker on my card ?

Understood.. I assume I still have to go to one of the bars on embarkation day so they can put a BB sticker on my card ?

depends on the ship. Your sign and sail may be in your mailbox when you board so you do not have access to the card If you prepurchase you will use your boarding pass to get your soda because it will be on that boarding pass

That's partially true.

If you order a soda at a bar that has fountain soda, you'll get fountain soda. But some of those bars don't have some types of soda in the fountain system, so if you order say, a Coke Zero, it will be out of a can. They don't give the whole can, but at the busier bars, they go through the open cans fairly quick.

I've also had bartenders toss the open one and open a new one for me, if they feel it's been sitting for so long.

But you've hit on one of my frustrations. I drink a lot of soda, and I've always bought the soda card. But I'm not really happy with getting warm soda poured over ice. It instantly melts half the ice and gets completely watered down.

So I try to use the indoor bars, where at least the soda is stored at a cooler temp than the outside bars where it sits in the Caribbean sun all day.

In the dining rooms, I've sometimes been brought a cold can and sometimes gotten fountain soda. Not sure if it varies by ship.

Since you prefer fountain soda, just figure out what bars have a fountain system and use those. The bars at the aft corner of the lido deck seem to usually/always give cans.

It’s the warm watered down soda that is turning me off from this program. It’s too bad because I really like the convenience of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've done the BB and yes you get fountain at some bars and cans at others. In the MDR always got a can and the can was left at the table for me. I have also asked for the can at the bars that provide them and have never been refused.

It’s good to know they actually do have fountain at some of the bars. I was under the assumption it was all cans.

On my last cruise we were served the entire unopen can each time. I am not sure if this was just on the Dream or if other ships are serving the entire can.

It seems like it’s hit or miss like that when I fly too. Sometimes the flight attendants give you the whole can and other times you just get what they pour for you.

If you buy them individually, they give you the full can.

That’s good to know! I think I will probably bring some on board with me and buy them individually when I’m out and about. I just didn’t want a half open watered down flat can that I’m buying individually. Those are spendy sodas!

Yes, what you describe is accurate. We have started to just carry on our own cokes which Carnival allows in your carry-on. Twelve cans per person in your carry-on and you can put twelve for each person in one carry-on. You may also bring more on at each port.

We found that you really only get half a coke when ordering via bottomless bubbles and yes, it is often flat. It is better to order without the package and pay for the whole coke occasionally.

Thank you! I think you guys have me sold to do that! I really do appreciate all the responses back. I read Carnival’s policy but I like to hear the reality of how it really works. They don’t write in the policy that you get flat already open cans!

At dinner in the dining room they bring the whole can, but at many of the bars - yes you get one opened and often flat already and hot which just melts the ice and waters down your drink. Just one of the many reasons why I don't even buy the package anymore and just bring on our own sodas instead.

We have known bartenders to give the entire can, especially if you tell them you want one unopened. My mother used to do that to take a drink back to the cabin for later. She never found one to tell her they couldn't.

It’s good to know they actually do have fountain at some of the bars. I was under the assumption it was all cans.

This was my impression as well based on our Liberty cruise in May. I had purchased Bottomless Bubbles then learned there was no fountain coke anymore on Carnival. So, I drug on my own Pepsi. I didn't even think to ask while on the ship, I had my pop.

We are trying to plan an inexpensive warm family cruise for next summer and leaving Carnival off the list really limits the choices. I can't choke down a can of coke but fountain is just fine. If there are fountain stations on all the ships that's great. The reply I received earlier there are not. Maybe it depends on the ship? Are they removing or adding?