Poor "Guest Relations" on Silhouette

polk01

Overall I'm having a great trip but I've had to deal with Guest Relations twice and on both occasions have been totally underwhelmed.

The first was that on boarding our "complimentary" drinks and WiFi packages were not included. Guest Relations told me they'd look in to our and get back to me. They didn't. On the third day I had to phone my travel agent, get them to call the Celebrity head office, who then contacted the ship. Only then was the issue resolved.

The second was to complain about the shuttle service from Rostock. We waited 50 minutes for a bus back to the ship. When I spoke to guest relations they acknowledged that the service had been poor and they'd had lots of complaints but as the shop didn't provide the service it wasn't their fault, they just collected the ticket money on behalf of the local operator without making anything themselves, there was nothing they could do about it and there would be no refund (I hadn't asked for a refund). It felt like it was a scripted response to make clear that they considered Celebrity had no liability.

Overall they gave the impression of being great at platitudes but having no desire/ability to address any issues.

I understand your disappointment but as far as the packages and any OBC you should always pack a copy of your invoice showing these things. That would have saved you those three days of waiting, saved calling your TA etc.

We also take copies with us to confirm OBC, excursions booked, speciality dining....

I do think, however, three days is quite a long wait with no response. I assume you paid for drinks and WiFi in the meantime and were then refunded?

I understand your disappointment but as far as the packages and any OBC you should always pack a copy of your invoice showing these things. That would have saved you those three days of waiting, saved calling your TA etc.

I had the invoice but it didn't match with their records. That's why I'm so annoyed. Most of it was sorted fairly quickly but what took the time was the last two internet packages. While the title of the packages had the WiFi the itemised section didn't.

Overall I'm having a great trip but I've had to deal with Guest Relations twice and on both occasions have been totally underwhelmed.

The first was that on boarding our "complimentary" drinks and WiFi packages were not included. Guest Relations told me they'd look in to our and get back to me. They didn't. On the third day I had to phone my travel agent, get them to call the Celebrity head office, who then contacted the ship. Only then was the issue resolved.

The second was to complain about the shuttle service from Rostock. We waited 50 minutes for a bus back to the ship. When I spoke to guest relations they acknowledged that the service had been poor and they'd had lots of complaints but as the shop didn't provide the service it wasn't their fault, they just collected the ticket money on behalf of the local operator without making anything themselves, there was nothing they could do about it and there would be no refund (I hadn't asked for a refund). It felt like it was a scripted response to make clear that they considered Celebrity had no liability.

Overall they gave the impression of being great at platitudes but having no desire/ability to address any issues.

It is great that you are enjoying the sailing, yet not the GR service aboard...

Unfortunately, it is your TA who must resolve issues with payments for items you purchased before sailing unless you purchased those items directly from X. I have been in that situation and know...

As for the transportation issue, have you tried the Tour Desk who would normally handle such issues aboard and most likely would have more power to do something?

Continue to have a bon voyage....

It is great that you are enjoying the sailing, yet not the GR service aboard...

Unfortunately, it is your TA who must resolve issues with payments for items you purchased before sailing unless you purchased those items directly from X. I have been in that situation and know...

As for the transportation issue, have you tried the Tour Desk who would normally handle such issues aboard and most likely would have more power to do something?

Continue to have a bon voyage....

Thanks. The packages were part of the Celebrity standard offer with all bookings made when I booked my trip, not anything I paid for separately that the travel agent was responsible for. This was a Celebrity head office mistake.

When I spoke to the Shore Excursion team about the shuttle service they referred me to guest relations.

OP - I am sorry to read of your issues and the way they were handled. Can I ask a question - were you expecting to dock in Rostock ? We are sailing this weekend and expect to dock at Warnemunde. Have they changed this? Shame if they have as we have made plans from Warnemunde.

Waggie

OP - I am sorry to read of your issues and the way they were handled. Can I ask a question - were you expecting to dock in Rostock ? We are sailing this weekend and expect to dock at Warnemunde. Have they changed this? Shame if they have as we have made plans from Warnemunde.

Waggie

Waggie

We docked in the Rostock container port which is in neither town. You'll need a taxi or the shuttle. I get the impression that they usually dock in Warnemunde, where you can walk into the town centre and get a cheap train to Rostock if you want, but clearly not always.

Thanks. The packages were part of the Celebrity standard offer with all bookings made when I booked my trip, not anything I paid for separately that the travel agent was responsible for. This was a Celebrity head office mistake.

When I spoke to the Shore Excursion team about the shuttle service they referred me to guest relations.

Sorry to hear that altogether...

Continue to enjoy your sailing and here's hoping there are no more incidents.

bon voyage

I've had a call from the Guest Relations Manager and he's accepted that his team let me down on both occasions, and taken responsibility rather than just blaming the people I dealt with. He acknowledged that on both issues his team could, and should, have done better. No excuses or platitudes.

He's refunded the shuttle tickets and asked there's anything else he can do to make up for the poor service. I'm now a satisfied customer. I accept that things go wrong but it's how the problems are resolved that counts.:)

Three times I have had incorrect info about my drink packages. Each time I showed them the invoices, emails and etc and they always told my the same thing, “that doesn’t mean anything to us. We will have to contact the home office. “

It is frustrating to have to interrupt a cruise waiting in the very long line at Guest Relations on the first day.

It appears to be a very common issue with X

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Waggie

We docked in the Rostock container port which is in neither town. You'll need a taxi or the shuttle. I get the impression that they usually dock in Warnemunde, where you can walk into the town centre and get a cheap train to Rostock if you want, but clearly not always.

Thank you !

Enjoy your last 2 days.

I've had a call from the Guest Relations Manager and he's accepted that his team let me down on both occasions, and taken responsibility rather than just blaming the people I dealt with. He acknowledged that on both issues his team could, and should, have done better. No excuses or platitudes.

He's refunded the shuttle tickets and asked there's anything else he can do to make up for the poor service. I'm now a satisfied customer. I accept that things go wrong but it's how the problems are resolved that counts.:)

Great to hear!

Three times I have had incorrect info about my drink packages. Each time I showed them the invoices, emails and etc and they always told my the same thing, “that doesn’t mean anything to us. We will have to contact the home office. “

It is frustrating to have to interrupt a cruise waiting in the very long line at Guest Relations on the first day.

It appears to be a very common issue with X

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

"Very common" ???? :eek: A couple of reports from cruises with 2500+ passengers on each sailing??? If be annoyed, too, but let's be real. It's not "very common".

Before the latest changes to the website the drink package, internet and purchased shore excursions,etc would show in the Cruise Planner under Order History. Then when the most recent redo of the website occurred those items didn’t show in the Order History. I have noticed in the past couple of weeks that they are showing again. I always check the Order History about 10 days before we sail and if anything is missing I contact X. Much easier to get it fixed before boarding the ship.

Before the latest changes to the website the drink package, internet and purchased shore excursions,etc would show in the Cruise Planner under Order History. Then when the most recent redo of the website occurred those items didn’t show in the Order History. I have noticed in the past couple of weeks that they are showing again. I always check the Order History about 10 days before we sail and if anything is missing I contact X. Much easier to get it fixed before boarding the ship.

j - all items, which we have purchased, do appear in my order history, this is in my cruise planner.

bon voyage

Glad that your problem was resolved.

Tip: If there is a question about your benefits Celebrity will allow you to make a free call to your Agent so they can speak directly to Guest Relations. You may make the call from your cabin by calling GR and they will dial the number for you. The call is absolutely free! You may call your Agent for other reasons as well. We've taken advantage of the service a number of times.

I believe that Jon Piling is GRM on SIL and he's one of the best!

Edited by Orator

Thank you !

Enjoy your last 2 days.

Waggie

I forgot to mention that for Stockholm we docked in Frihamnen rather than Nynäshamn. This had much better public transport links to the town centre with bus tickets available from the terminal.

Impressed that the OP came back and explained how the GR Manager called and took responsibility, and the OP accepted this as a positive. It seems to be human nature (at least on this forum) to have an issue and when it’s properly addressed, not accept the follow-up. Here, the OP did, put it in perspective and enjoying the cruise.

Stuff happens. The important part is the overall response of how it’s handled.

Now we can list out all the terrible things the happened to us and Guest Relations didn’t fix it. I remember when I as sitting in the main foyer near the Desk, and some woman was standing there yelling at the person, ‘Do you know who you are talking to???’. Beyond rude. Another guy said how terrible the service was on a cruise because they didn’t have an umbrella in his SR and he needed one since it was raining. The GR person said they didn’t have any extras but offered her own, asking him to return it to the Desk afterwards. He used it, and didn’t return it, leaving it in the SR and said he assumed they’d return it for him, followed by him continuing to complain abut poor service of not having an umbrella in his SR......wow.

We do have issues and there are times it’s not properly handled, as noted by the OP here, but we need to also consider the example the OP set for all of us.

Den

Tip: ...Celebrity will allow you to make a free call to your Agent so they can speak directly to Guest Relations...

Thanks for the tip Orator. Fortunately I live in the EU so was able to call on my mobile without charge but, if I have any problems when I'm further afield, that's great to know.

You're right it was Jon and he came across really well. I was impressed with him and his approach.

I will return home and tell people about my great cruise rather than the trip which was good but... and that had to be in Celebrity's interests. His intervention, at the request of the Concierge, has transformed my last impressions.

j - all items, which we have purchased, do appear in my order history, this is in my cruise planner.

bon voyage

That was the point I was making. Although they disappeared for a time things like drink package, Internet, excursions should show in Order History if they were a booking perk or purchased. After booking it can take a few weeks for things to appear.

That was the point I was making. Although they disappeared for a time things like drink package, Internet, excursions should show in Order History if they were a booking perk or purchased. After booking it can take a few weeks for things to appear.

We will have to watch then . Off on cruise soon . Although we booked with an agent the booking perks from Celebrity was Classic drinks package. Will take paperwork

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Waggie

I forgot to mention that for Stockholm we docked in Frihamnen rather than Nynäshamn. This had much better public transport links to the town centre with bus tickets available from the terminal.

Polk01 - thank you for taking the time to let me know - enjoy the rest of your time - safe travels home.

Ruth

(Waggie)

Glad that your problem was resolved.

I was just going to ask if Jon Piling was still on Silhouette. Agree, he is the best one I have ever dealt with.

They are correct that the paperwork you hand them really does nothing. Changes get made all the time and new paperwork generated constantly. Paperwork can also be easily forged or altered these days. They're only going to honor what's confirmed in their systems because it should reflect the most accurate info. It sounds like Celebrity has some system in which lots of these things are entered (or maybe confirmed) manually, so I'm guessing there's a breakdown in that system along the way.