Do folks adhere to HAL email telling them what time to embark by deck?

WeRockChalkKU

There are 2 ships in Amsterdam this Sunday - Koningsdam and Prinsendam as far as the websites that list port schedules. HAL sent email saying that since there are 2 ships in port that it will be necessary to do check in by decks and then lists the time for each deck. Kdam sails at 5pm and Pdam sails at 6pm. Having a 2:30-3:00 check in time seems really late to me. Is this normal for Amsterdam checkin? Thanks for any info.

Staggered check in is relatively new at Holland America. It seemed to me that they were relying on voluntary compliance so far. If other cruise lines are any indication, that will change in the future.

This message may have been drafted using voice recognition. Please forgive any typos.

When we boarded K'dam in June we had an assigned boarding time. We had stayed at the Movenpick and walked to the terminal around 10:30 or so (our bags had been picked up at our room @ 8am). K'dam was the only ship in port. The line for check-in was moving well and they were giving out numbered boarding tags. We had been assigned a 2:30 boarding but we were on the ship by noon, dropped our carry-on in our stateroom and headed to the MDR for a very relaxing lunch.

HAL certainly has the ability to look at my reservation and see what time I was assigned and then make me sit in the boarding lounge if that is what works best for them. This last cruise was the first time that I recall being assigned a boarding time.

HAL does not enforce the boarding time on your boarding pass. They are essentially relying on “voluntary” compliance. We just get to the cruise terminal based on our schedule (which is usually “dictated” based on our airline schedule) and we’ve never had an issue with being put in the next available boarding group. Unless, of course, we are on one of our fortunate cruises where we booked a suite! Then it doesn’t matter. You get placed in the first boarding group anyway.

This last cruise was the first time that I recall being assigned a boarding time.
Precisely, these kinds of changes get introduced in stages, reliance on voluntary compliance before instituting any kind of enforcement. Since there is a cost-impact to this as well, I expect to see enforcement begin before my next Holland America cruise.

Precisely, these kinds of changes get introduced in stages, reliance on voluntary compliance before instituting any kind of enforcement. Since there is a cost-impact to this as well, I expect to see enforcement begin before my next Holland America cruise.

I doubt it. I've been seeing the assigned time on my boarding pass since at least 2008-2009.

I doubt it. I've been seeing the assigned time on my boarding pass since at least 2008-2009.
Before boarding the K-dam in 2016 ours always said 1:00, regardless of deck or cabin class. I don't consider that an "assigned" time, just suggested.

Unfortunately, no ... much the same as in many other aspects of daily life where more and more people believe that rules (including many customs and some laws) only apply to others and not to them.

Today in Seattle there is a Mariners baseball game at 1:10 pm, and it's Seafair weekend, which means the Blue Angels are flying midday/early afternoon, and I-90 will be closed from 12:25 to 2:45 pm, as they fly directly over the I-90 floating bridge and are a major, if exciting, distraction. That means a traffic jam on other arterials entering Seattle. My sister and her husband plan to be at the terminal at pier 91 around 10:30-10:45, and plan to board their ship (Amsterdam) at 11:30 am. Any passengers adhering to the suggested boarding times are going to be SOL if they want to board at 1pm today.

Not an issue for us. We really do not care if we board at 11AM, 3PM or anywhere in between. It makes little difference to us. Besides, we are not in any rush to go to the buffet. This is the one day that we avoid the buffet.

Unfortunately, no ... much the same as in many other aspects of daily life where more and more people believe that rules (including many customs and some laws) only apply to others and not to them.

NOT a "rule", just a suggestion to avoid congestion....

Totally agree. Very difficult to take a suggestion seriously when asked to board at 1 pm or later but then get invited to have lunch onboard in the MDR between 12:00 and 1:00 :confused:

Before boarding the K-dam in 2016 ours always said 1:00, regardless of deck or cabin class. I don't consider that an "assigned" time, just suggested.
Precisely. Staggered check-in times is Step 1 in the transition from a single block of time for check-in to an enforced system whereby passengers arriving prior to their specific check-in time will generally be turned away from the terminal. IIRC, it took Carnival roughly five years to make the full transition.

Today in Seattle there is a Mariners baseball game at 1:10 pm, and it's Seafair weekend, which means the Blue Angels are flying midday/early afternoon, and I-90 will be closed from 12:25 to 2:45 pm, as they fly directly over the I-90 floating bridge and are a major, if exciting, distraction. That means a traffic jam on other arterials entering Seattle. My sister and her husband plan to be at the terminal at pier 91 around 10:30-10:45, and plan to board their ship (Amsterdam) at 11:30 am. Any passengers adhering to the suggested boarding times are going to be SOL if they want to board at 1pm today.

My sister and husband boarded promptly at 11:30, and are already enjoying lunch in the main dining room.

Totally agree. Very difficult to take a suggestion seriously when asked to board at 1 pm or later but then get invited to have lunch onboard in the MDR between 12:00 and 1:00 :confused:

Common courtesy, politeness and etiquette are likewise just "suggestions" but I would rather see them followed than ignored just because they are not "rules". YMMV :)

On our Hawaii cruise out of Vancouver last spring only one person on our roll call received a boarding time email.

We all ignored it and there was no problem.

Our group of six was among the first on board.

Common courtesy, politeness and etiquette are likewise just "suggestions" but I would rather see them followed than ignored just because they are not "rules". YMMV :)
Yet, there are those who refuse to acknowledge the rules of hospitality includes both the host's obligation to guests and the guests' obligation to their host. It seems people pick and choose which bits they are willing to include in the list and which they are not.

In this case, common courtesy, politeness and etiquette dictates that I should act graciously and cordially accept my host's invitation to partake of lunch in the Dining Room and board at noon. ;p