Mariner Society Credit for traveling solo

ChinaShrek

I recently finished a 7-night cruise on the Koningsdam. I was traveling alone in 4103 (not a solo cabin). I received credit for 7 night sand two nights for spending. I thought I earned double credit when traveling solo. Is this correct? I just want to make sure before I call them. Thank you.

I recently finished a 7-night cruise on the Koningsdam. I was traveling alone in 4103 (not a solo cabin). I received credit for 7 night sand two nights for spending. I thought I earned double credit when traveling solo. Is this correct? I just want to make sure before I call them. Thank you.
Sorry, no. Only if you're in a suite. Many people think you should get double credit since you're paying the supplement.
  • Like 1

I PAID double for my neptune suite and got no mariner days for the second person fare I paid. I got the usual double or me (one person) b ecause I was in a ne pt une Suite.

I think the days shoul d b e awarded for the 'phantom' second guest's fare that was paid.

I am so many days way over FIVE Star mariner, it would be of no vALue to me but it woulD matter for oTher people.

it is 'cheesy ' to take double fare but deny awarding mariner days. IMO Makes them look very small and greedy, some may think.

Sorry, no. Only if you're in a suite. Many people think you should get double credit since you're paying the supplement.

SORRY - NO, NOT when in a suite. NO days at all for that second fare paid tthough only one guest. in the cabin. Zip, zero, nothing.

SORRY - NO, NOT when in a suite. NO days at all for that second fare paid tthough only one guest. in the cabin. Zip, zero, nothing.

I think you've misunderstood catl331, whose post indicates that you only get double days for suites, not for paying the single supplement.

Sorry, I didn't mean that ... just that you only get double days for being in the suite, not for being solo in a suite. If you got double for solo in a suite then it would be quadruple! :)

Sorry, I didn't mean that ... just that you only get double days for being in the suite, not for being solo in a suite. If you got double for solo in a suite then it would be quadruple! :)

They could award double days for the person occupying the Suite( and only number days of the cruise to the account of the actual guest for the phantom guest's fare

They could award double days for the person occupying the Suite( and only number days of the cruise to the account of the actual guest for the phantom guest's fare
Yes, and they could give double days for anyone sailing solo in any class of cabin except single cabins ... and it would cost them nothing. Makes sense to me. :)

Yes, and they could give double days for anyone sailing solo in any class of cabin except single cabins ... and it would cost them nothing. Makes sense to me. :)

I FULLY AGree. :)

You did not pay double, you paid for a cabin that was intended to be sold to two passengers. So if it was not a qualifying cabin for double points, no one would have gotten Mariner credit anyway.

HAL would do well to convert unproductive retail sales spaces into solo fare interior cabins, to accommodate a growing market of solo travelers. Paying double is onerous - having done this myself - but no reason HAL should lose money either not selling that cabin at full price to two passengers. (Maybe minus a food credit.)

I have no squabble with paying double occupancy. It's no different from the universal policy of hotels regarding solos. However, I DO have a problem with the fact that we're not given the extra loyalty-program points. Roz, you are correct in that Princess is the only other line under the CCL umbrella that awards double points. But double points are awarded to customers of the lines of RCCL -- RCI, Azamara, Celebrity. There are a few other lines that I've heard of but can't remember now and no time to research it. Perhaps someone else will jump in here.

Anyway, every couple of years I write to HAL complaining about the loyalty-points issue. And every time I receive the same boiler-plate response: They explain the existing Mariner program and say they're "thinking about" awarding double points for solos.

Anyway, every couple of years I write to HAL complaining about the loyalty-points issue. And every time I receive the same boiler-plate response: They explain the existing Mariner program and say they're "thinking about" awarding double points for solos.

While this doesn't affect either of us yet :eek: I would be more in favour of HAL reducing the single supplement rather than giving additional cruise day credits. Even if they limit the categories of staterooms that could be booked to obtain the lower supplement.

I have no squabble with paying double occupancy. It's no different from the universal policy of hotels regarding solos. However, I DO have a problem with the fact that we're not given the extra loyalty-program points. Roz, you are correct in that Princess is the only other line under the CCL umbrella that awards double points. But double points are awarded to customers of the lines of RCCL -- RCI, Azamara, Celebrity. There are a few other lines that I've heard of but can't remember now and no time to research it. Perhaps someone else will jump in here.

It would be interesting to do an analysis across the various cruise lines as to the cost-benefit of Mariner benefits, compared to how loyalty beneifts affect other cruise lines. HAL, from some reports, seems to have a higher percentage of "loyal" passengers. Which means on some cruises the HAL loyalty benefit perks can overwhelm the bottom line and ability to even honor them. Maybe those other cruise lines don't have the same high percentage of loyal travelers as HAL faces, so they can "afford" to offer on the face more perks?.

I don't know. Just curiosity speculation here. But I do know when there are many 4-5 start Mariners on a cruise like seems to happen on the VOV cruises routinely or other popular cruises, this leads to a loss of revenues due to the speciality dinner and beverage discounts. And they can't even provide priority tender benefits because of the sheer number of loyalty passengers. When you have 700-800 4-5 star Mariners show up on embarkation day, you can forget "priiority" boarding too. And the 24 hour free laundry turn-around becomes routinely 48 hours instead.

You did not pay double, you paid for a cabin that was intended to be sold to two passengers. So if it was not a qualifying cabin for double points, no one would have gotten Mariner credit anyway.

HAL would do well to convert unproductive retail sales spaces into solo fare interior cabins, to accommodate a growing market of solo travelers. Paying double is onerous - having done this myself - but no reason HAL should lose money either not selling that cabin at full price to two passengers. (Maybe minus a food credit.)

I beg to differ. If a cabin is designed to hold 3 or 4 passengers and only 2 people book it, they don't pay for the 3rd or 4th passenger. No one likes paying the single supplement, but it's the price we singletons (to quote Bridget Jones) pay to cruise solo. I think giving solos extra credit is reasonable.

Roz

I beg to differ. If a cabin is designed to hold 3 or 4 passengers and only 2 people book it, they don't pay for the 3rd or 4th passenger. No one likes paying the single supplement, but it's the price we singletons (to quote Bridget Jones) pay to cruise solo. I think giving solos extra credit is reasonable.

Roz

Now you know what other cruise lines to take in the future who will provide this benefit. Don't let HAL keep ripping you off.

Appreciate your point about cabins designed to handle 3 and 4 passengers. Anyone booking those cabins, (virtually all since most cabins have sofa beds) those cabins should actually be paying for 3-4 passengers, and not just for the standard double. Hard to argue your logic here.

This is a great untapped revenue raiser for HAL. I hope they get started on it as soon as possible. No corner of the ships should not be paying its own way. Presuming the normative is binary couples is so out of date. HAL could even provide sharing lists so total strangers can bunk in these under-performing cabins priced for two, so they can start maxing out this under-utilized retail space right now. This would provide an instant solutions for any new passenger balking at the 3-4th in cabin passenger surcharge.

In fact, this does bring back an old sea-going tradition. My own first cruise were in four person bunk bed cabins with total strangers and bathrooms down the hall. Brava for the good old days. 7 days Greek islands and Turkey for $90 was part of the good old days too for those four person cabins.

Credit goes to you for this splendid innovation in cruise pricing, Roz.

... cabins designed to handle 3 and 4 passengers. Anyone booking those cabins, (virtually all since most cabins have sofa beds) ...
Nope. The Kdam has 504 triple/quad/family out of 1331 cabins, or 38%. The Signature and Vista ships have 45% and 46% respectively. See https://www.hollandamerica.com/content/dam/hal/inventory-assets/ships/pdf-files/FastFacts.pdf You can't put 3 people in a cabin designated as double just because it has a sofa, because lifeboat capacity limits the total number of passengers. Edited by catl331

I most certainly did pay 200% of the pp fare for my Neptune Suite and was a solo occupant. Neptune suites qualify for double.

I got no credits for paying the second person fare (for the phantom guest who was not t here.)

I don't quibble them charging 200% but I dO quibble the denial of mariner day credits..... they could call it on b oard spending as that is the logic for charging solos 200% to 'make up for the 'second person having no on board spending.

The irony is I have so many days, the added days would be of no value to me unless the number of star categories are changed.

Not giving those cedits makes them look greedy and 'cheesy' IMO

Edited by sail7seas

I most certainly did pay 200% of the pp fare for my Neptune Suite and was a solo occupan. Neptune suites qualify for double.

Do the math. You paid for the two beds in the cabin, even though it was your choice to use only one of them.

I don't get double loyalty points at a hotel when I stay as a solo. I didn't get double loyalty points on Royal Caribbean when I cruised as a solo. I don't expect double loyalty points on HAL if I cruise as a solo.

Looking at the 4 and 5 star mariner benefits, they're not all that great. Three star mariner status is still a long way off too, so I'll have to pay for my own laundry for a while. At least paying for the laundry will increase my mariner status.

Maybe HAL and other cruiselines should go to the model of hotels and price by the room instead of by the passenger.

Do the math. You paid for the two beds in the cabin, even though it was your choice to use only one of them.

The math is quite simple.

The pp rate was given and it was doubled, That is 200% I Have clearly stated I KNOW why and and d o not have quibble with that. ONLY quibble in this regard is to not give the solo occupant of the cabin any m mariner day credit,,, and suggested they could call it on board spending as that is the logic given for charging double-- loss of second person on board spending..... call that throw away second fare 'on board spending' Think a bout it for a minute. It makes sense, IMO

AGAIN, my quibble is NOT them charging full second fare for the phantom s econd person. I know why and am okay with that.

Hope I have made myself understood this time. :)

As I am now done.

Edited by sail7seas

Maybe HAL and other cruiselines should go to the model of hotels and price by the room instead of by the passenger.
That is essentially what the single supplement does - charge for two people when the room is only occupied by one. My preferred hotel chain gives me loyalty points based on the price paid, not by the number of people in the room. If HAL did the the same, they would be giving the double points for single occupancy with a supplemental fee.

That is essentially what the single supplement does - charge for two people when the room is only occupied by one. My preferred hotel chain gives me loyalty points based on the price paid, not by the number of people in the room. If HAL did the the same, they would be giving the double points for single occupancy with a supplemental fee.

BY Geoge, THat is GOOD :)

Send the suggestion to Mariners Society, PLease. ? :)