Wash and fold laundry bag

papadewey221

Color me curious. If you get that many bags of free laundry you must have been on lots of Carnival cruises. Haven't you sent laundry out before?

6 bags would be 2 first-time Platinums with 3 free bags each on a 7-12 day cruise.

I had never sent out laundry either until I turned Platinum, but at that time Platinum was the highest level, with unlimited free laundry, so bag size didn't really matter.

Very small maybe 16 inches long 12 wide and tappered at the bottom.

On my last cruise (Splendor in April) they appeared to be switching from the bigger paper bags to smaller plastic bags. At least the laundry that I sent out in the larger paper bags came back in the smaller plastic bags. Not sure if those plastic bags are now in the cabins to send out laundry in.

My advice is to roll your clothes before putting them in the bag, as you can fit more in that way. And the bag doesn't have to close, just make sure things are packed in there snugly. Also, fill out the name/cabin info on the bag before filling it. P.S., those paper bags rip easily!

My advice is to roll your clothes before putting them in the bag, as you can fit more in that way. And the bag doesn't have to close, just make sure things are packed in there snugly. Also, fill out the name/cabin info on the bag before filling it. P.S., those paper bags rip easily!

Seconding the rolling, you can get quite a good number of clothes in the bag if you roll everything tightly. If we had to pay per item it would have cost us $140 or so. (And we usually bring duct tape in case the bag does rip.)

Just to give you a word of caution regarding how they do the laundry for the wash-n-fold service. First off they transfer the clothing to a mesh bags to keep your entire initial bagged items together, loading the machines with multiple mesh bags from several cabins/passengers. They use very hot water, with industrial detergent (no fabric softener that I've noticed), and then it is dried in large industrial tumble dryers at high temperatures.

So do not send anything new that has not had a few washings at home to release any over dye. Do not send anything that you can't afford a little shrinkage on. Since they only look to match the items count and types (shirt, pants, etc), they are not looking to correct stains or if a piece can even be laundried, you still need to pre-treat and verify care labels that the pieces can be washed on hot and tumbled dry on high.

Do use your various bags to color sort as best you can. Do sent the bags out as soon as you feel a bag is full enough, with 6 bags you can send one out daily on a week long cruise, no need to wait till a bag is completely full. Do not expect same or even next day delivery, as turnaround time is affected by the number of passengers using the service. (Use tends to be greater on Journey and one off special itinerary cruises as these attract more Platinum+ passengers.) Do inform your steward that you have laundry to be picked up as soon as you are ready to release a bag or 2, especially if you picked afternoon/evening cleaning service.

+1. This is why I have not used this service. I do like the option of having washers and dryers on the ship though! May be anal but many of the clothes I buy require special care, i.e. cold water only, no fabric softener and so on. Don't ask my wife about the wool coat of her's I put through the dryer once though. : P

I have sent out laundry before in one bag and it has come back in two! It is all in the rolling! :D I also only send 'casual' things.Socks, shorts, underwear, bathing suits, etc. Nothing that would have a heavy potential for damage.

We just got off the Horizon and they are using the plastic bags for the laundry service. They seem smaller than the old paper bags but they don't tear as easily so I was able to fit more into the bag. I think I fit in four shorts and eight shirts and had room for more.

6 bags would be 2 first-time Platinums with 3 free bags each on a 7-12 day cruise.

I had never sent out laundry either until I turned Platinum, but at that time Platinum was the highest level, with unlimited free laundry, so bag size didn't really matter.

Thank you for clearing that up for me!

I definitely rolled the clothes. I then "Tetris"ed the rolled clothing into the bag.

I have sent out laundry before in one bag and it has come back in two! It is all in the rolling! :D I also only send 'casual' things.Socks, shorts, underwear, bathing suits, etc. Nothing that would have a heavy potential for damage.

My record is 28 items sent soiled in one bag returned clean in three bags.

I purchased tops that are 55% cotton/45% poly and shorts that are 92/8 at Kohl's just for cruises. They were inexpensive (the tops were under $6 each so I wasn't worried if something happened) but they went through Carnival laundry services just fine. Now that summer clothing is on clearance :loudcry: it's a great time to buy them.

I only send clothing that I wash AND dry at home. (pjs, nightgowns, socks, undies, the aforementioned clothes, etc.)

Yes, roll the clothes to get more in the bag. And yes, be sure what you send can handle the heat. I noticed the lace on a pair of undies came back faded. It didn't bother me since they were everyday undies, but I would have been upset if it had been a favorite top. Other items that survived just fine were socks, shorts, tshirts, swim trunks, swimsuits as well as all the other bras & undies.

I love sending out the "casual" things. I had been reading about this on this board and stuffed my bag. I - however - had not read anything about filling out a form and we didn't have a form in our room, only the bad. So I didn't fill out a form and missed Wednesday's washing. We got our stuff back Thursday night and were disembarking Friday. While it didn't really help me with the cruise clothes, it sure was nice to come home with more clean clothes than dirty ones for a change!

I'm one of those Platinum people who have never used the laundry service, even though I tell myself I'm not going to pack as much & will use it. I know I wouldn't send any of my night-time dressy stuff, but I'm really going to try not to pack as many shorts & jeans and use the service on my cruise in October.

I understand that t-shirts go through fine - how about casual button down shirts? I guess I would need to look at the labels, but I wear those rather than t-shirts most of the time - would be nice to only have to pack a couple instead of 5 or 6.

How long was it before she started to talk to you again. :p :)

She tells everyone that story. So I am still living with it many years later. Ironically, I ask her to put all my dress clothes for work and that I wear to church and on holidays in a separate basket. I am finicky and want to wash, dry and iron (if needed) myself. The men's store I get my dress clothes from, for instance, recommends dry cleaning as a last resort as they've told me a few dry cleanings can destroy a nice garment after just a few cleanings. Spot clean with a slightly damp rag and hover the iron over suits they recommend. Send it for dry cleaning only as a last resort.

As for shorts, t-shirts, bathing suits, I've went quality over quantity in recent years. Most of my shorts are $60+ (on sale) and bathing suits (board shorts) about the same. But they last if you take care of them. So in the long run, it comes out being about the same price in all likelihood. So long as you stay the same weight! My son's $8 shorts from Walmart, though, I'd have no trouble sending out. lol

On Sunshine they are using the new plastic bags for both submitting and return of laundry. Lying flat, I measure the bags to be 22 inches by 14 inches (I am excluding a strange perforated strip at the top that always rips off unintentionally when trying to use the bag - I have no idea what it is intended for).