Oceania NEXT

LaCroisiereS'amuse

3 hours ago, LHT28 said:

good  news  on the workmen

I am surprised  you are tendering there  ..is there other ships in port

You do need to go away from the port area  to see anything  touristy

they do have some  nice shopping at the port  😉

Did you get the  high winds  that are in the area ??

There was a Silversea ship at the dock.  No wind, calm, cool, and sunny.

We walked around the town and came back. 

23 hours ago, Wol said:

Plus one!

We had the pre-dry dock experience a few years ago several days before Vancouver on Regatta. They were jack-hammering paint off the decks all the time with bits all over the place, and the Regatta lounge was denuded of carpet, etc etc.

How long ago was that ?

I recall many years ago on one of the crossings  they started work on the ship   many unhappy sailors  ..as they should  be

3 hours ago, LHT28 said:

How long ago was that ?

I recall many years ago on one of the crossings  they started work on the ship   many unhappy sailors  ..as they should  be

My point exactly, but why take a chance.  They are not giving us a discount but maybe just trying to fool us that all would be O.K.    Now way I would sail on one on those trips. 

Thanks for the photos.  That's just awful!  I was thinking I wouldn't mind so much (assuming no construction noise) because we don't go to the shows that much OR the pool.  But I was wrong. It's not right to do this to passengers who paid a lot of money for a vacation, not to be in a construction zone!

Mura

10 hours ago, Mura said:

Thanks for the photos.  That's just awful!  I was thinking I wouldn't mind so much (assuming no construction noise) because we don't go to the shows that much OR the pool.  But I was wrong. It's not right to do this to passengers who paid a lot of money for a vacation, not to be in a construction zone!

Mura

What a mess.  The nerve of them to do that.  

4 minutes ago, RJB said:

What a mess.  The nerve of them to do that.  

We were also on the Regatta, Victoria to Vancouver.   Wherever we walked, or tried to, on the ship we were met by workers carrying off furniture and old carpeting. It was a very unpleasant ending to an otherwise very good cruise. Oceania should plan enough time to do whatever work on these old ships so as not to begin it while loyal cruisers are still on board.

14 minutes ago, orchestrapal said:

We were also on the Regatta, Victoria to Vancouver.   Wherever we walked, or tried to, on the ship we were met by workers carrying off furniture and old carpeting. It was a very unpleasant ending to an otherwise very good cruise. Oceania should plan enough time to do whatever work on these old ships so as not to begin it while loyal cruisers are still on board.

I have read about this kind of thing on other ships but did not think it would happen on Oceania.  Guess I was quite wrong and people should  should make sure their cruise in not the last one before a dry dock.   This could happen to you. 

I talked to a couple last night at Martinis that said they are on deck 7 and the workmen are working on that floor. They said they've been on ladders stringing wires through the ceiling. 

I've seen nothing out of the way yet. 

Raining in Halifax today. Oh well, we're headed south soon, will get warmer all the way. 

Today we were supposed to be in Bar Harbor but the Captain is taking us to Boston instead. We'll overnight there instead of just one day. It's probably a fair trade. We won't get there until around 2pm. 

The weather was pretty rough last night and we'd heard the last two or three ships into Bar Harbor didn't tender due to weather conditions. 

Will be in Hamilton Bermuda in a couple hours. Supposed to be St George but too windy for the cut. 6 days left on this cruise and still no sign of an early start on the work. There was a blurb in the Currents a day or so ago mentioning due to ongoing maintenance some areas might be inaccessible. I've seen no evidence of this either.

Last night at the Repeaters party the GM mentioned that there will be 1900 + workers on the ship for the dry dock.

• Like 1

On 11/7/2018 at 11:33 AM, ORV said:

Today we were supposed to be in Bar Harbor but the Captain is taking us to Boston instead. We'll overnight there instead of just one day. It's probably a fair trade. We won't get there until around 2pm. 

The weather was pretty rough last night and we'd heard the last two or three ships into Bar Harbor didn't tender due to weather conditions. 

Too bad as Bar Harbor is a wonderful place to visit, but safety first.  Always.   

A new feature already installed on Insignia is vibrating and rocking beds. Oh wait, that was the weather. :classic_unsure:

Pretty rough coming back from Bermuda to Charleston. 

I noticed on this cruise the only use for the Artist Loft was a puzzle on the table. Do they only have an artist on board for the RTW cruise? 

1 hour ago, golfguyhhi said:

Orv,

Did you see any pre-drydock work being done on your cruise?  Was the deck 7 wiring project continued on any other deck?  Was any carpet ripped up?  Banging and clanging, hammering, areas roped off and made unavailable?

Why should we have to worry about this?  Should skip any cruise just before a dry dock to be safe.  

1 hour ago, golfguyhhi said:

Orv,

Did you see any pre-drydock work being done on your cruise?  Was the deck 7 wiring project continued on any other deck?  Was any carpet ripped up?  Banging and clanging, hammering, areas roped off and made unavailable?

Not really, but the Boutiques will be closed a day before we get to Miami. Heard a little banging, but then again you always do. 

56 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

OMG  how will people spend their OBC ??  :classic_ohmy:

Easy!

You can make out with reception before the account closes that any unused OBC goes into the crew gratuities.

In the past we've done that or, on several occasions bought watches and the like and entrusted the GM with giving all non-officers raffle tickets for a draw - the crew really seems to get a kick out of that.

• Like 1

LHT28:  I've personally done it aboard Oceania as recently as last month.

The thing is, you need to be careful about how you word your request.  If you say, "I want to donate my unused OBC to the crew fund," you'll be told, "That's not possible."  (As least, that was my experience early on.)

However, if you mention that you've read in the FAQ section on O's website that "guests may adjust gratuities while on board the vessel at their sole discretion" and that you'd like to increase your gratuities to match the amount of unspent OBC in your account, they'll do that for you even if your standard grats were pre-paid.  

They won't accept the instruction until you've finished spending OBC, meaning (usually) the night before the cruise ends or up until accounts close on the morning of arrival.

1 minute ago, DrHemlock said:

LHT28:  I've personally done it aboard Oceania as recently as last month.

The thing is, you need to be careful about how you word your request.  If you say, "I want to donate my unused OBC to the crew fund," you'll be told, "That's not possible."  (As least, that was my experience early on.)

However, if you mention that you've read in the FAQ section on O's website that "guests may adjust gratuities while on board the vessel at their sole discretion" and that you'd like to increase your gratuities to match the amount of unspent OBC in your account, they'll do that for you even if your standard grats were pre-paid.  

They won't accept the instruction until you've finished spending OBC, meaning (usually) the night before the cruise ends or up until accounts close on the morning of arrival.

ok thanks

I tried to donate the leftover OBC  & as you say was told NO

I guess you need to play the game