Forward Facing Suites

HHIturtlelady

We are currently booked in a forward facing Penthouse with Large Balcony (cabin 10000) on the Jade for a 10 day Southern Caribbean in November.

Looking for recommendations as to whether we will be able to use the balcony at sea. I have heard that we can't or it would be too windy to use it. Pros and cons?

We are weighing our options to keep this or upgrade to a 2 bedroom suite. I wanted a larger balcony buy all the 2 bedrooms are mid-ship.

We enjoyed our forward facing suite on the Star. This was a Mexican Riviera cruise and sometimes it was windy, sometimes not. While on the lounger, wind was not that bad. While standing, more noticeable. Is deck 10 right below the bridge? If so, you will be asked to keep the lights off at night (keep the drapes closed) so that there is no reflection to obscure the view from the bridge. All in all, we loved that suite!

We had 10500 on the Pearl during our panama canal cruise. I specifically booked it for the canal transit because I wanted that view. Which was great.

During the other times however, there was a lot of wind issues. Could had been the weather conditions, how fast we were going etc... but there were times that it was hard to be out there. We were right under the bridge so we had to curtail our lights at night by making sure our curtains were closed.

One other thing I did not like, the door to the balcony was heavy. Not a normal balcony door. It was loud and cumbersome. It took me a couple of days to figure out how to open it without hurting myself.

But the balcony is amazing. We had a canal cruising party out there.

I would not book it again. In fact, we are taking a full transit canal cruise this January and I specifically booked an AFT suite for this one. Not only wanted to be able to use my balcony more but wanted a different view of the locks and canal.

Hope this helps....some people love the forward suites, just not my preference but glad I did it for that cruise.

We are currently booked in a forward facing Penthouse with Large Balcony (cabin 10000) on the Jade for a 10 day Southern Caribbean in November.

Looking for recommendations as to whether we will be able to use the balcony at sea. I have heard that we can't or it would be too windy to use it. Pros and cons?

We are weighing our options to keep this or upgrade to a 2 bedroom suite. I wanted a larger balcony buy all the 2 bedrooms are mid-ship.

Stick your head out of your car window at 20mph. That about as much wind you will typically have when staying in a forward facing balcony when the ship is moving. With that said it could be less if the wind if coming from behind, it could be considerably more if the ship is running into the wind. The railing will give you some protection but not much

Had a forward Penthouse on the Dawn a few years ago. It was great. A little windy at times but the balcony was huge. Would do it again. Our next cruise is on the Breakaway in a aft haven suite so will soon be able to compare the two balconies.

If you do go ahead with the bow balcony please report back your results. We had one booked for a Panama Canal transit but switched to an aft penthouse when it became available. I think the view from the bow would be awesome but was also concerned about the wind factor.

If you do go ahead with the bow balcony please report back your results. We had one booked for a Panama Canal transit but switched to an aft penthouse when it became available. I think the view from the bow would be awesome but was also concerned about the wind factor.

Aft are great, we have had them on 3 cruises. However on two of the three we would end up with a decent amount of soot depending on the wind. The first time we had an aft suite on the Gem for Bermuda. One of the days in Bermuda it was covered, during the three day stay they came by 4-5 times and washed it off

Oh this is my predicament also. I booked Joy 2/2020 12 day partial canal.

I had originally booked a Haven aft penthouse. Now my sister and hubby are joining us

They want to be in the Haven and they took a 2 bedroom for the two of them,

and there was one H2 Owners that I grabbed.

Will I be sorry? It's a lot of money.

...and there was one H2 Owners that I grabbed.

Will I be sorry? It's a lot of money.

We had an H2 Owners on the Pearl and loved it. No question the balcony was windy while underway, enough to make the furniture dance around at times. We could scurry out to the full size hot tub and sit behind the partial wind shield comfortably but on the loungers it was obnoxious. Crew came in a few times in the 7 day to take in the pads and bungee down the furniture.

We had 4 in the H2 cabin and it was very doable. Of course 2 of you end up on the couch pull-out which isn't great but works. Depending on your comfort level having all 4 in the same cabin might be an option and significantly cut your cost, it did for us.

Each cabin has pros/cons. I don't think you will be sorry with your choice the cabin is unbelievable but it will be windy, at least it was on the Pearl.

We have stayed multiple times on the Pearl in the corner H3 suite. It has a front balcony and a side balcony. Most of the time we used the side balcony when underway. The front is beautiful to stand on especially at night to star gaze. If it is good weather and the ship is not going very fast the front is very usable.

We had an H2 Owners on the Pearl and loved it. No question the balcony was windy while underway, enough to make the furniture dance around at times. We could scurry out to the full size hot tub and sit behind the partial wind shield comfortably but on the loungers it was obnoxious. Crew came in a few times in the 7 day to take in the pads and bungee down the furniture.

We had 4 in the H2 cabin and it was very doable. Of course 2 of you end up on the couch pull-out which isn't great but works. Depending on your comfort level having all 4 in the same cabin might be an option and significantly cut your cost, it did for us.

Each cabin has pros/cons. I don't think you will be sorry with your choice the cabin is unbelievable but it will be windy, at least it was on the Pearl.

Well, at least it will be a hot wind, as Panama is warm. And we will have her side 2 bed balcony, though those are very small.

I just thought for the canal it would be a such a great view. And I see now they have a sliding doors, not the old heavy ones like I'm having on the Star 5/24 Venice front owners with two balconies :)

Graytech..you did canal March/April? How hot was it? We're doing Feb 2 but I don't know if it's much cooler then. Thanks

Really depends on the weather - we did an 11 day partial Panama Canal in the same cabin on the Jade last November and were on the balcony every day because the weather was beautiful. I had heard of problems with wind but took the chance anyway because I really wanted to be on my own balcony during approach to the canal. We didn't encounter any cons at all.

'We've been on the Pearl and Jewel in Alaska with forward balconies and just got off Breakaway in the Baltic in the owners suite

On the Pearl and Jewel we did sit out on the front but when it was at sea it was a bit windy - and there is an outer door that needs to be shut or there is wind noise - and it was cool.

On the Breakaway the front door was easy to use, light and sealed wonderfully. It was warm so nice to sit out.

The other advantage is that you get a great view as you come into port and when its in port its lovely to sit out with a drink an watch the world go by

we are very much looking forward to our forward suite next May on Dawn. we've tried an aft, now we're going front.

we often stand on the top deck at sea and face forward for the view.... its pretty windy but nothing we cant handle.

I stayed in an Owners suite on the Jade which has two balconies, one facing the front and one the side. I found the front balcony to be way too windy unless we were in port. It was really neat watching sailaway from there though. Can't go wrong with a Haven Penthouse regardless of where the balcony is.

Graytech..you did canal March/April? How hot was it? We're doing Feb 2 but I don't know if it's much cooler then. Thanks

We actually have a Star aft penthouse scheduled for March/April 2019 for the ocean-to-ocean canal transit. We were in the Pearl Deluxe Owners Suite on a southern Caribbean 7 day in January. It was very warm, just too windy at times. Don't know about the Canal in February.

We were in 15500 on the NCL Pearl and loved it. I found a link to a review with photos for cabin 15000. I see the layout of the Jade and Pearl balconies are different so my wind comments may not apply to the Jade.

This is of the Pearl DOS -

http://www.jimzim.net/NorwegianPearl.html

This is of the Jade DOS -

https://www.cruisecritic.com/photos/ships/norwegian-jade-438/the-haven-deluxe-owners-suite-393058/

We had 10500 on the Pearl during our panama canal cruise. I specifically booked it for the canal transit because I wanted that view. Which was great.

During the other times however, there was a lot of wind issues. Could had been the weather conditions, how fast we were going etc... but there were times that it was hard to be out there. We were right under the bridge so we had to curtail our lights at night by making sure our curtains were closed.

One other thing I did not like, the door to the balcony was heavy. Not a normal balcony door. It was loud and cumbersome. It took me a couple of days to figure out how to open it without hurting myself.

But the balcony is amazing. We had a canal cruising party out there.

I would not book it again. In fact, we are taking a full transit canal cruise this January and I specifically booked an AFT suite for this one. Not only wanted to be able to use my balcony more but wanted a different view of the locks and canal.

Hope this helps....some people love the forward suites, just not my preference but glad I did it for that cruise.

We were in 9502 on the Pearl and had almost exactly the same opinion. One other thing I noticed was that the view from inside the room wasn't as good as a standard balcony cabin because of the heavy door (it's not glass like other balcony doors). I probably would only book this category again if it was a Panama Canal itinerary. The balcony would provide amazing views while transiting the canal, and the ship is moving so slowly that the wind wouldn't be so bad. We were on a Caribbean itinerary and felt that the balcony was almost useless (for us, anyway).

We are currently booked in a forward facing Penthouse with Large Balcony (cabin 10000) on the Jade for a 10 day Southern Caribbean in November. Looking for recommendations as to whether we will be able to use the balcony at sea. I have heard that we can't or it would be too windy to use it. Pros and cons? We are weighing our options to keep this or upgrade to a 2 bedroom suite. I wanted a larger balcony buy all the 2 bedrooms are mid-ship.

We think that the SE forward facing penthouse stateroom are the best rooms on the ship. And, the 10000 has the added benefit of extra room space due to the bridge bump-out.

It is a hull balcony, so if you are sitting, the wind is swept right up and over your head. If you lean up against the rail, you'll feel the wind. In room 10000, the front bay window is near the rail, so you can sit/stand inside the comfort of your room and enjoy the 180 degree views.

If you want the super big balconies, the 9000 and 95000 rooms are better.

99f060932f4478be6174d6a199591309.png

dc7d41261953768c46d079a95d1ad420.png