How formal is formal dress ?

For the last several RC cruise's I have not brought a jacket for formal night but still wear a tie with a long sleeved shirt with cufflinks and long trousers for formal night.

All preference at this point. I still wear both, but would drop the tie before the jacket.

All preference at this point. I still wear both, but would drop the tie before the jacket.
On P&O I bring my suit as it is compulsory on their formal nights but on RC especially in the Mediterranean in the summer it is just too hot for my jacket.

Royal can end all this angst by just setting a policy and enforcing it. And if the policy is “wear whatever you want” then so be it.

I don’t comprehend the point of going to to trouble to have suggestions and then just ignoring them altogether. They must read boards like this and see all the angst the current arrangement causes.

That is it. It is SUGGESTED dress each evening. And [most] people can read and interpret that guidance,,,, and do. Shorts to tuxes. All are allowed.

Less tuxes & evening gowns worn = less photos taken & sold.

This makes the most sense for a policy, no policy. On our Harmony Cruise there were people all over the Promenade getting their pictures taken. On BOTH formal nights.

Follow the money!!

Jim

That is it. It is SUGGESTED dress each evening. And [most] people can read and interpret that guidance,,,, and do. Shorts to tuxes. All are allowed.

See that’s the problem. All aren’t allowed by the (unclear) terms of the (unenforced) suggestions.

Does this policy allow shorts at dinner?

• Casual: You’re on vacation – relax! Jeans, polos, sundresses and blouses are all the right amount of laid back. Please keep swimwear to the Pool Deck. Shorts are welcomed for breakfast and lunch.

By implication, this policy doesn’t permit shorts at dinner, but in reality it does because Royal doesn’t enforce it. Except for the 0.001% of the time when some uptight head waiter decides to.

I guess my problem is I’m too much of a rule follower.

See that’s the problem. All aren’t allowed by the (unclear) terms of the (unenforced) suggestions.

•  

•  
  • Casual: You’re on vacation – relax! Jeans, polos, sundresses and blouses are all the right amount of laid back. Please keep swimwear to the Pool Deck. Shorts are welcomed for breakfast and lunch.

By implication, this policy doesn’t permit shorts at dinner, but in reality it does because Royal doesn’t enforce it. Except for the 0.001% of the time when some uptight head waiter decides to.

These are “Suggestions “. Why is that so hard?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• Casual: You’re on vacation – relax! Jeans, polos, sundresses and blouses are all the right amount of laid back. Please keep swimwear to the Pool Deck. Shorts are welcomed for breakfast and lunch

In regards to this issue your problem appears to be not understanding the actual language put out by Royal.

No matter how many times you repeat it... Not a Rule, Not a Policy. I's a Suggestion.

Suggest - to offer for consideration or as a hypothesis

This is the sentence right above the one you quoted.

"When you’re onboard, the right look will vary by venue. But here are a few types of suggested attire you’ll see, grouped by item."

Then there is this sentence. This is what it would sound like if it was a rule or policy.

"Please note that bare feet are not allowed at any time in any venue and tank tops are not permitted in the Main Dining Room or Specialty Dining venues for dinner."

Yeah folks, I know it’s a suggestion. That’s kind of my point. I’d prefer an actual rule. I don’t really care what the rule is. I just would rather have something clear and enforced, as opposed to a vague and contradictory “dress code” (Royal’s phrase) that ends up being meaningless. It’s frustrating and confusing for new cruisers.

Why don’t they just say the actual policy: wear whatever you want except bare feet and tank tops. I’d be fine if they’d just say that.

We just got off of Adventure of the Seas. We packed for 2 formal nights, even a blazer for my 10 year old. :-)

We haven’t cruised in 15years so we just figured formal nights were “formal”. People wore everything from Tuxedos to jean shorts.

I would say most people looked very nice at dinner. I honestly didn’t pay much attention to what other people wore.

Why don’t they just say the actual policy: wear whatever you want except bare feet and tank tops. I’d be fine if they’d just say that.

Why on earth would they? What would they gain?

They don't care if we argue amongst ourselves. It gains them nothing.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Forums mobile app

The time for suits and ties might be over but there is something between this and shorts and flip flops. If I go for a nice dinner in a nice restaurant I don‘t want to see old feet in flip flops, untidy legs and hairy shoulders and arms. Most upscale cruise lines changed their dress code from formal with suits to smart casual with long pants and no sports or bathing shoes. Shorts for kids are fine. Why not go for this dress code and enforce it? A fair compromise for everyone that keeps a little bit of a nice atmosphere compared to a McDonalds.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The time for suits and ties might be over but there is something between this and shorts and flip flops. If I go for a nice dinner in a nice restaurant I don‘t want to see old feet in flip flops, untidy legs and hairy shoulders and arms. Most upscale cruise lines changed their dress code from formal with suits to smart casual with long pants and no sports or bathing shoes. Shorts for kids are fine. Why not go for this dress code and enforce it? A fair compromise for everyone that keeps a little bit of a nice atmosphere compared to a McDonalds.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

So we will mark you down for letting what others wear bother you.

I don’t think you eat out much in Florida. With the exception of just a few, many fine restaurants have no issue with dress codes.

Bern’s Steakhouse in Tampa, which used to REQUIRE men to at least wear a coat during dinner have dropped that requirement.

Comparing those that don’t dress up to McDonalds people, or Trailer Park, is just not right.

So we will mark you down for letting what others wear bother you.

I don’t think you eat out much in Florida. With the exception of just a few, many fine restaurants have no issue with dress codes.

Bern’s Steakhouse in Tampa, which used to REQUIRE men to at least wear a coat during dinner have dropped that requirement.

Comparing those that don’t dress up to McDonalds people, or Trailer Park, is just not right.

This^^