Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

Good morning friends...…..my sis and bil are in Sydney, Australia and I received an email from them

this morning----this VIRUS is affecting them too...….they are boarding a ship tomorrow for a cruise

and lots of precautions are being issued...….she said the folks who are taking a b2b have to get off

and reboard so they can disinfect the ship and this is from my sister's email:

"They are not letting people board with Chinese, Hong Kong or Macau passports, or if your flight connected on Hong Kong, or if you have been in contact with anyone from any of those places in the last 14 days."

I am guessing all the cruise lines are being so extra careful and they really have to be...….this thing is just awful!

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

Good morning friends...…..my sis and bil are in Sydney, Australia and I received an email from them

this morning----this VIRUS is affecting them too...….they are boarding a ship tomorrow for a cruise

and lots of precautions are being issued...….she said the folks who are taking a b2b have to get off

and reboard so they can disinfect the ship and this is from my sister's email:

"They are not letting people board with Chinese, Hong Kong or Macau passports, or if your flight connected on Hong Kong, or if you have been in contact with anyone from any of those places in the last 14 days."

I am guessing all the cruise lines are being so extra careful and they really have to be...….this thing is just awful!

Norwegian has cancelled all Asia sailings for the rest of the year on one of their ships. 

I'm hoping it's clearing up soon I'm off to see my man in Penang at the end of May. 

All the people being repatriated from Wuhan back to the UK are being quarantined for a fortnight.  They've just announced the location for the second site, about two miles from my house! 😲

Edited by besberry

6 minutes ago, besberry said:

Norwegian has cancelled all Asia sailings for the rest of the year on one of their ships. 

I'm hoping it's clearing up soon I'm off to see my man in Penang at the end of May. 

All the people being repatriated from Wuhan back to the UK are being quarantined for a fortnight.  They've just announced the location for the second site, about two miles from my house! 😲

2 miles from your house? Be safe!

On 2/9/2020 at 3:03 AM, Lois R said:

Yes, cruise lines are needing to be pro-active!!.  Now in New Zealand.  For our Feb. 17 boarding in Auckland, Oceania announced more than two weeks ago that anyone from and/or who had visited mainland China would not be able to board and that they would be refunding their cruise cost.  

Our American Airlines #83 flight from LAX arrived slightly ahead of schedule Monday morning and all worked well.  It was smooth on the flight, for getting our luggage, doing customs, etc.  Fortunately, we were able to upgrade to Premium Economy with its 2-3-2 seating.  Much better than 13 plus hours in regular economy where things on this 787 are crowded in with 3-3-3 seating.  

Below are a few of our first-day visuals to confirm the beauty and tasty treats in New Zealand.  The NZ air is so super sweet and pure!!!   It's worth the long journey!!

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Amazon River-Caribbean 2015 adventure live/blog starting in Barbados. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.).  Now at 65,711 views:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

On our way to Coromandel, NZ, here are a couple of the views showing the beauty of the New Zealand countrysides mixed in with their dramatic coast lines in this scenic area east of Auckland.  Bring back memories for the beauty of New Zealand?:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger/better!)

1828867144_CMB_7856(1).jpeg.314fcd31ada3e20927c5d2ed12e96188.jpeg

CMB_7862.jpeg.eec74b3b28682e39ef324b352d14696f.jpeg

In Coromandel, here are two items of "visual evidence" for proof that the NZ food is good.  First, some mussel chowder with fries, etc., for me.  Second is my wife's mix of veggie treats that she rates among best she has ever tasted.  Both enjoyed with NZ wine.  Excellent!!:

CMB_7868.jpeg.e5b7f47685c50d8673897a3cb279f9ca.jpeg

CMB_7871.jpeg.240c7d301215109b644065c79c2d2e5c.jpeg

This was our first NZ sunset from Wyuna Bay Road near Coromandel.:

CMB_7880.jpeg.1c0d7298e933e90b620f0eed8816287b.jpeg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

Looks like a good start Terry!  What are the temps like?
We have acquaintances who just flew to Auckland in the past couple of days from the States in coach.  Could... Not... Imagine!

Appreciate this nice follow-ups.  Below is what AccuWeather shows for Auckland and nearby NZ North Island areas.  Super nice and near perfect now in Coromandel.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Live/blog, June 2017 from Portugal to France along scenic Atlantic Coast.  Now at 30,237 views.  Many interesting pictures, details for history, food, culture, etc.:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

From AccuWeather, here is the current, upcoming and recent weather for Auckland.  Here in Coromandel, we have perfect blue skies right now.  Later in the week, it will be warmer as we explore around Cambridge, the Hobbiton Movie Set, etc.  More in the 80'sF for that part of NZ.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see this visual larger/better!)

1342556881_ScreenShot2020-02-11at9_42_46AM.thumb.png.bee36f87eb6562cb8985c026bd11343b.png

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, TLCOhio said:

From AccuWeather, here is the current, upcoming and recent weather for Auckland.  Here in Coromandel, we have perfect blue skies right now.  Later in the week, it will be warmer as we explore around Cambridge, the Hobbiton Movie Set, etc.  More in the 80'sF for that part of NZ.:

Looks like fantastic weather...enjoy your South Pacific/Polynesian cruise!

Terry, have a great trip:classic_smile:

Thanks to everyone for the NY recommendations but my plans have changed again. I think I will be staying here as

my radiation treatments are in the stage of doing what I was told they would do---it looks like a rash/sunburn and

my home care has changed.....not just moisturizing  but now I have to use a saline solution as well...….so not

sure (if I am still doing this process next month) how it will be for a long weekend away. This was day 10 and the

redness is pretty large....thankfully no pain but I think it will just be easier to stay around here and I want to be

ALL BETTER for the big April trip.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, besberry said:

Enjoy NZ Terry.  Personally I think it's God's most boring country.  We once spent a month there, which was about six weeks too long!!  Having said that, whenever I've had port days there, I've always enjoyed them.

Appreciate the kind wishes from Spins, Lois, rloke, etc.  Sorry Lois will miss NYC.   In response to Beeberry, we super loved New Zealand from our various 2014 stops and exploring.  So far in our first two days here in the Coromandel area, that enjoyment has been so magnified and enlarged.  Yes, some NZ areas can be kind of average.  But, wonderful so far for us, including the super fresh air, nice people, etc.  

Below are a few more visuals to prove why New Zealand has been so enjoyable for us.  Enjoyed our second day in NZ in these scenic Coromandel areas.   Plus, the food is so excellent!!  And, the wine, too!!

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

AFRICA?!!?: Fun, interesting visuals, plus travel details from this early 2016 live/blog. At 48,639 views. Featuring Cape Town, South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

At Coromandel, their Driving Creek narrow-gauge railway is a top attraction and so interesting.  Loved it!!  It climbs up, UP through diverse forest areas, past unique pottery designs, etc.  More great views and sights, plus fascinating tunnels and bridges!!:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger/better!)

CMB_7940.jpeg.6e9a700ac36695f11cf81bfca46eb986.jpeg

CMB_8065.jpeg.a28bb41d529e5f7b40cabcc9c436f910.jpeg

At nearby Whitianga and Mercury Bay, we enjoyed their Pacific Ocean beaches and sights, including these three cute Oystercatcher birds.  Plus a typical coastline, beach view.   Fun!:

436325626_CMB_8183oystercatcher.jpeg.98c3398cc52f1c0dd54afa91a9b59a6e.jpeg

CMB_8193.jpeg.1fe92a005937f2f5a54e463b17c81cf8.jpeg

Last night at Coromandel's Peppertree, had some of New Zealand's Green Lipped Mussels.  Yes, they are large and very tasty.  Harvested right here.  So fresh and good!!  Any others previously had these famed NZ mussels?:

1171543426_CMB_8211GeenLiippedMussels.jpeg.a2a28157d0cca9e78f0f643c0c024489.jpeg

Have fun Terry,youve come at the best time of year.The Coromandel is a great spot to explore.

We have just had a couple from Arizona for dinner here in Auckland who we meet on a Silversea cruise two and a half years ago.Besberry,sorry you find it boring here ,I suppose you just have to know where to go and what to do.

Edited by MrToblerone

Greetings coolers!  I love catching up on all the exciting travel & trips everyone has been upto these last couple of months.  I was sidelined with a medical issue starting back in November, but am happily back amongst the living.  Even started back to work last week, albeit part time.  Just need to be in good enough traveling shape for our May Alaska/Canadian Rockies adventure.   Keep all the trip reports coming, and great pics ... still working on my bucket list.

Edited by UpstateJan
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

Appreciate the kind wishes from Spins, Lois, rloke, etc.  Sorry Lois will miss NYC.   In response to Beeberry, we super loved New Zealand from our various 2014 stops and exploring.  So far in our first two days here in the Coromandel area, that enjoyment has been so magnified and enlarged.  Yes, some NZ areas can be kind of average.  But, wonderful so far for us, including the super fresh air, nice people, etc.  

Any others previously had these famed NZ mussels?:

Terry, I know I'm in the minority.  There are some nice places to visit, Rotorua, Arrowtown and the like.  As for the green lipped mussels, they're good.  So is the venison.  As far as I'm concerned the best food and (and cheapest) I've eaten on my travels, was in South Africa.  It was a good few years back so I don't know what the situation is like now.  But we ate like kings for peanuts the whole three weeks.

23 minutes ago, besberry said:

As far as I'm concerned the best food and (and cheapest) I've eaten on my travels, was in South Africa.

South Africa is definitely a good place for inexpensive but excellent food. We were there in 2016 and you could get a sit-down lunch with wine for $30, and dinners were maybe as much as $50 if you went to a fancier place, more if you tried hard to spend more. Cape Town is comparatively more expensive though.

But our cheapest vacation dining experience in recent times was Ukraine, last year. We went to some highly-rated places and dinner was about $30-35, including beverages - usually a bottle of wine. One night we spent $15 at a Crimean restaurant, for a ton of food and a few rounds of drinks. We could barely walk after eating all of it.

We splurged in Kyiv our last night there, and went to the fanciest restaurant in the city. It was Inauguration Day and we saw several visiting dignitaries dining there, so we knew it was a highly-regarded place. We had 3 courses each, and the most expensive bottle of Ukrainian wine on their list, and sparkling wine too - for about $90.

The only problem is that you need a Ukrainian tour guide. Luckily, Chris is fluent! 😄  Can't wait to go back.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

Enjoyed our second day in NZ in these scenic Coromandel areas.   Plus, the food is so excellent!!  And, the wine, too!!

Yes, NZ can be a bit ordinary in places and the towns are often dull.  But, as Terry says, the food and wine are  generally excellent.  On our big road trip we stayed in a villa near Blenheim and cooked for ourselves and experimented with a lot of different wines.  Our favourite turned out to be Two Paddocks from a vineyard owned by actor Sam Neill.  If you find it Terry buy a bottle!

DSCN0299.jpg

Edited by Fletcher
  • Like 1