Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

And here is another brand of what has been on the market for years and years.......fortunately, we did not use it.......when Mom made a dish with cheese in our home, it was 100% real cheese..........

Velveeta, not so much LOL

image.jpeg.6932029037f729832f78134e139cea2b.jpeg

image.jpeg.821bade3a57d235d85656411a0753e50.jpeg

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Daveywavey70 said:

What are these abominations? They couldn’t possibly have ever been near any self respecting cow/sheep/goat/buffalo or animal that chooses to identify as one of the above! 

Hi Davey, we still have A LOT of processed foods on the market......back in the day more folks ate them over "real food"....or so it seems.  Nowadays, I think (just my opinion) more people try to eat better, well, sometimes anyway LOL. 

9 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi Davey, we still have A LOT of processed foods on the market......back in the day more folks ate them over "real food"....or so it seems.  Nowadays, I think (just my opinion) more people try to eat better, well, sometimes anyway LOL. 

I Don't eat a lot of processed food Lois, I just wasn't brought up on it. My Grandfather was brought up on a farm in rural Poland and was completely perplexed when he joined the Merchant Navy in the 40's and came across the first tin of food he had ever seen. 

3 minutes ago, Daveywavey70 said:

I Don't eat a lot of processed food Lois, I just wasn't brought up on it. My Grandfather was brought up on a farm in rural Poland and was completely perplexed when he joined the Merchant Navy in the 40's and came across the first tin of food he had ever seen. 

That must have been a BIG SHOCK for sure!!!! 

37 minutes ago, SteveH2508 said:

As were oatmeal blocks.

Let us not discuss baby's heads though...

My OH was a catering officer in the RAF and therefore only too familiar with Compo rat packs, especially when supporting the RAF Regt on exercise/operations. 

A good chef can do wonders with Compo - mainly by throwing it in the bin and frying up some bacon! 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Tothesunset said:

My OH was a catering officer in the RAF and therefore only too familiar with Compo rat packs, especially when supporting the RAF Regt on exercise/operations. 

A good chef can do wonders with Compo - mainly by throwing it in the bin and frying up some bacon! 

Bacon grill was OK - I used to make a decent spag bol or shepherds pie with the corned beef. The Cheese processed went into/onto the instant mash on the shepherds pie. You did need some extras (onions mainly) to jazz it up a bit.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SteveH2508 said:

Bacon grill was OK - I used to make a decent spag bol or shepherds pie with the corned beef. The Cheese processed went into/onto the instant mash on the shepherds pie. You did need some extras (onions mainly) to jazz it up a bit.

Just for old times' sake:

IMG-20230221-WA0004.thumb.jpg.e9f59a3f5b3f0bd5659836fe6d9fad23.jpg

• Like 1

Today we visited Sabara a town where the first massive gold exploration took place in early XVIII century. Later the gold mining increased and moved to other areas around and new cities were established. In the pictures, 4 churches with different ages (all from XVIII century). Please note the size and decoration from the first one (smaller) to a big one with decoration outside and inside. In later XVIII and early XIX when gold mining was at the highest level, churches in the new areas are all painted in gold (I will not visit them at this trip). I hope you enjoy.

Igreja3.jpg

igreja4.jpg

Igreja1.jpg

igreja2.jpg

altar1.jpg

altar2.jpg

Teto.jpg

• Like 7

The aerosol cheese has to be one of the triumvirate of American corporate worst foods:  Take two pieces of Wonderbread, lay on a couple of slices of Spam, and squirt the Easy Cheese on.  Maybe wash down with a Blue Cream Soda, with a Tum chaser!!  That was where (at least in popular culture) our food was at in the post-war period.  It was a long process, starting in the late 60's and into 70's, to pull at least some of the population out of that hole.  Credit to many individuals who did heavy lifting - Julia Child, James Beard, Molly Katzen, Craig Claiborne, Alice Waters, Marcella Hazen, to name a few.  

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

Don’t forget this other “orange” food! Well not really food, it was created by chemists. So more of an elixir, or chemistry experiment. Still around even today in a slightly different iteration.

8B48DA67-5AE2-48EB-82B1-090E15D88DF8.thumb.jpeg.44ace57e2f3d31f018f85ba32e252edf.jpeg

Never really cared for Tang.  Always seemed odd!

• Haha 1