Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

1 hour ago, highplanesdrifters said:

Wow, thank you for sharing. That was excellent. Going to put it on the big screen to start cocktail hour. Besides the amazing voices I really enjoyed all the different strings.  We have been lucky enough to see Ringo Stars All Star band. Worth seeking out. 

A bit of rock n roll trivia, lovie is an expert😉.  The producer Sebastian Robertson is the son of Robbie Robertson The Bands co-founder.

Wonderful bit of trivia!  Thank your lovie for that!  So glad you enjoyed it!  I was singing along and the local dogs joined in! 😅

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, JSR said:

HI I am new to the water cooler. I am not sure if this is the place to ask my question or not - what the heck, I will give it a shot. 

They are somewhat random.

Background:

We are gone 30 days in June, 14 on Endeavour ( Iceland and Svalbard) and 7 on QM2 (transportation home) and 5 in Amsterdam. 

We are also booked January 4-March 15 on Nova GV South America. Mind you the longest cruise we have been on is 14 days with a one day break then 9 days. So 71 days is a huge leap for us. Minus a little bit of concern about the heat in Rio and the Amazon we have no reservations about this cruise. 

I then spotted a 33 day cruise mid October- mid November Lisbon to Lisbon to FLL. I have not booked this. I am tempted too but am concerned it is too much travel (is there such a thing?) given the other bits of life. 

Question:

How many cruises in one year are two many? How much time can you be away while helping your daughter plan her formal big city wedding- will start in July when return from vacation? 

Thanks for helping me debate this. 

Considering what our wonderful world has experienced over the last three years,  I would say let your pocketbook decide! 😁  Life is short and there is no time to waste!  We are booked on the upcoming holiday season cruise departing mid December 2023 which will flow into the 2024 World Cruise which ends May 26, 2024.  That will be 160 days.  We are hoping the travel gods and goddesses smile. 

Regarding your wedding planning duties,  if you are comfortable using the internet,  which it seems you are, it should not be too onerous to deal with most issues that way.

Carpe diem JSR! 😁

• Like 2

During the depths of the Covid pandemic early period, there were mercifully a number of these wonderful songs done with compilations of contributions from people all over the world.  I know I took a lot of comfort in seeing them, and seeing that people all over the world were still cooperating to do something meaningful.  This version of The Weight is one of the best.  

Meanwhile, here's a link to a little diddy that you might enjoy: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=St6jyEFe5WM
Procol Harum was one of the first bands to have a dedicated lyricist - Keith Reid.  The lyrics to this song are really just a tone poem, they never claimed any great meaning, just a powerful mood to go with the classically inspired music.  Bernie Taupin was lyricist for Elton John, the Grateful Dead had their lyricist.  I'm always impressed when a band knows enough to have one.  If you enjoy this video, there are others from PC that are astounding, such as Conquistador with the Edmonton Symphony Orchestra. 
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Will Work for Tiramisu said:

During the depths of the Covid pandemic early period, there were mercifully a number of these wonderful songs done with compilations of contributions from people all over the world.  I know I took a lot of comfort in seeing them, and seeing that people all over the world were still cooperating to do something meaningful.  This version of The Weight is one of the best.  

Meanwhile, here's a link to a little diddy that you might enjoy: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=St6jyEFe5WM
Procol Harum was one of the first bands to have a dedicated lyricist - Keith Reid.  The lyrics to this song are really just a tone poem, they never claimed any great meaning, just a powerful mood to go with the classically inspired music.  Bernie Taupin was lyricist for Elton John, the Grateful Dead had their lyricist.  I'm always impressed when a band knows enough to have one.  If you enjoy this video, there are others from PC that are astounding, such as Conquistador with the Edmonton Symphony Orchestra. 

Beautiful WWFT!  Thank you!

Good morning, JSR, I agree with dawn and mysty.....go on as many cruises as you are able🙂how many are too many in a year? I don't think there is an actual number for it.

Oh....congrats on the upcoming nuptials and hope it all goes smoothly.

7 hours ago, Lois R said:

Good morning, JSR, I agree with dawn and mysty.....go on as many cruises as you are able🙂how many are too many in a year? I don't think there is an actual number for it.

Oh....congrats on the upcoming nuptials and hope it all goes smoothly.

Thank you  Lois, Dawn, and Misty. 

I am trying hard to wait and see how it goes on the Endeavour and then decide, though it is hard not to just book it. I may no longer be an option by then due to availability...I know I can plan the wedding from a far (heck I planned mine via fax from 6000 miles away and I was young). I just do not want to miss those special moments with our daughter. 

My husband laughs and asks me if I trying to set a spending record between the cruises and the wedding... LOL

All good, I appreciate having a space to talk about this while I debate with myself!!!

• Like 1

At yesterday's trivia we came in second. On one of the winning teams was a lady who had a birthday that day. She turned 100. Don't think I will be able to match that but would be delighted if I did.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, drron29 said:

At yesterday's trivia we came in second. On one of the winning teams was a lady who had a birthday that day. She turned 100. Don't think I will be able to match that but would be delighted if I did.

She was a ringer!  She has so many more years' worth of trivia memory!  [If she can still remember any of it...]  That's why we like to play Trivial Pursuit, Genus Edition with our kids:  we lived that stuff, and they haven't even heard of most of it.  😅

• Haha 2

Coolers - anyone been to either Namibia or Botswana?

Looking for a place to go in October. Botswana seems to have some great lodges and the Okavango Delta looks like a unique place. We've looked at some of the A&K itineraries and also the Sanctuary Lodges. Sanctuary also offers a lodge-hopping itinerary which includes a few days near Victoria Falls to start. We're looking for a mix of game viewing and "other" since we've done a few safaris in the past.

We have looked at Namibia for years but cannot get a feel for how to best visit there. Some of the landscapes look unique, and we've actually done a series of virtual walks through Namibia on our treadmill... It looks like a place we must visit, but it seems that everything is far-flung and connecting the dots might be a challenge. Also, it seems that nobody offers an itinerary that COMBINES Victoria Falls with both Botswana and Namibia, which would be perfect for a 2-week trip.

Any advice welcome!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Coolers - anyone been to either Namibia or Botswana?

Looking for a place to go in October. Botswana seems to have some great lodges and the Okavango Delta looks like a unique place. We've looked at some of the A&K itineraries and also the Sanctuary Lodges. Sanctuary also offers a lodge-hopping itinerary which includes a few days near Victoria Falls to start. We're looking for a mix of game viewing and "other" since we've done a few safaris in the past.

We have looked at Namibia for years but cannot get a feel for how to best visit there. Some of the landscapes look unique, and we've actually done a series of virtual walks through Namibia on our treadmill... It looks like a place we must visit, but it seems that everything is far-flung and connecting the dots might be a challenge. Also, it seems that nobody offers an itinerary that COMBINES Victoria Falls with both Botswana and Namibia, which would be perfect for a 2-week trip.

Any advice welcome!

we have been to both places. we incorporated a ss cruise with an ak safari. our goal was to start at iguazu falls and end up at victoria falls to compare the two. we ended our trip with a bush plane safari to 3 different camps. the best view of vf is from a copter, next best is from the zambia side. we just viewed it from the zimbabwe side. back then we were nearly the only ones there because that's when the blacks were killing the white farmers so we got an up close view.

the camps were in botswana and were excellent, the delta is a great area.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

JP  we did Sancturary lodges  and they were great,  I was in the a moon boot with a # R leg and knee !!  They organised a everything  - I could not say a negative thing about  the whole time  ... 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As Rojaan said we have been to Botswana with Sanctuary Lodges. It was great. We did 3 lodges in Botswana and one in Zambia. The Zambian camp is close to Victoria falls and we also walked with rhinos there. We actually did this after a West Africa cruise on the Explorer and we had 2 stops in Namibia but no wildlife viewing.

The Sanctuary lodges in this trip report.

https://www.australianfrequentflyer.com.au/community/threads/a-botswanan-adventure.50060/

We did a second trip to Sanctuary lodges with Makanyane in South Africa and Bwindi in Uganda to see the gorillas. This was the trip were Rojaan was disabled but still was able to get to see the gorillas. This trip was after a Cape to Cape cruise on the Explorer again.

https://www.australianfrequentflyer.com.au/community/threads/africa-jungle-and-veldt-by-caravan-and-sedan-chair.82483/

Both thoroughly recommended.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1