Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

Paddy staggered home very late after another evening with his drinking buddy, Finney. He took off his shoes to avoid waking his wife, Kathleen.

He tiptoed as quietly as he could toward the stairs leading to their upstairs bedroom, but misjudged the bottom step. As he caught himself by grabbing the banister, his body swung around and he landed heavily on his rump. A whiskey bottle in each back pocket broke and made the landing especially painful.

Managing not to yell, Paddy sprung up, pulled down his pants, and looked in the hall mirror to see that his butt cheeks were cut and bleeding. He managed to quietly find a full box of Band-Aids and began putting a Band-Aid as best he could on each place he saw blood.

He then hid the now almost empty Band-Aid box and shuffled and stumbled his way to bed..

In the morning, Paddy woke up with searing pain in both his head and butt and Kathleen staring at him from across the room.

She said, 'You were drunk again last night weren't you?'

Paddy said, 'Why would you say such a mean thing?'

'Well,' Kathleen said, 'it could be the open front door, it could be the broken glass at the bottom of the stairs, it could be the drops of blood trailing through the house, it could be your bloodshot eyes, but mostly, it's all those Band-Aids stuck on the hall mirror.

• Haha 9

Some concern for our friends with EV’s...

Just wondering - Hurricane season with Electric Vehicles
Imagine Florida with a hurricane coming toward Miami.
The governor orders an evacuation. All cars head north.
They all need to be charged in Jacksonville.
How does that work? Has anyone thought about this?
If all cars were electric and were caught up in a three-hour traffic
jam with dead batteries, then what?
Not to mention that there's virtually no heating or air conditioning
in an electric vehicle because of high battery consumption.
If you get stuck on the road all night, no battery, no heating, no
windshield wipers, no radio, no GPS (all these drains the batteries)...
All you can do is try calling 911 to take women and children to
safety. But they cannot come to help you because all roads are
blocked, and they will probably require all police cars to be
electric also. When the roads become unblocked no one can move! Their
batteries are dead.
How do you charge the thousands of cars in the traffic jam? Same
problem during summer vacation departures with miles of traffic jams.
Yes, AAA is starting to prepare tow trucks to charge electric
vehicles. How much can they charge before returning to home base and
recharge the trucks?
There would be virtually no air conditioning in an electric vehicle.
It would drain the batteries quickly. Where is this electricity going
to come from?
Today's grid barely handles users' needs.
Can't use nuclear, natural gas is quickly running out.
Oil fired is out of the question, then where?
What will be done with billions of dead batteries, can’t bury them in
the soil, can’t go to landfills.
The cart is way ahead of the horse.
No thought whatsoever to handle any of the problems that batteries can cause.

Hmmmm !!!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

9 minutes ago, zqtchas said:

Some concern for our friends with EV’s...

Just wondering - Hurricane season with Electric Vehicles
Imagine Florida with a hurricane coming toward Miami.
The governor orders an evacuation. All cars head north.
They all need to be charged in Jacksonville.
How does that work? Has anyone thought about this?
If all cars were electric and were caught up in a three-hour traffic
jam with dead batteries, then what?
Not to mention that there's virtually no heating or air conditioning
in an electric vehicle because of high battery consumption.
If you get stuck on the road all night, no battery, no heating, no
windshield wipers, no radio, no GPS (all these drains the batteries)...
All you can do is try calling 911 to take women and children to
safety. But they cannot come to help you because all roads are
blocked, and they will probably require all police cars to be
electric also. When the roads become unblocked no one can move! Their
batteries are dead.
How do you charge the thousands of cars in the traffic jam? Same
problem during summer vacation departures with miles of traffic jams.
Yes, AAA is starting to prepare tow trucks to charge electric
vehicles. How much can they charge before returning to home base and
recharge the trucks?
There would be virtually no air conditioning in an electric vehicle.
It would drain the batteries quickly. Where is this electricity going
to come from?
Today's grid barely handles users' needs.
Can't use nuclear, natural gas is quickly running out.
Oil fired is out of the question, then where?
What will be done with billions of dead batteries, can’t bury them in
the soil, can’t go to landfills.
The cart is way ahead of the horse.
No thought whatsoever to handle any of the problems that batteries can cause.

Hmmmm !!!!!

Agreed. Several years ago when Jaguar first launched its EV, the I-Pace, I was invited to a fun event in Miami to test-drive the vehicles on a course they'd set up.  This was the year after Hurricane Irma led to evacuation orders being issued for more than 5 million residents.   The result was complete gridlock, with vehicles at a standstill for hours and many cars running out of gas on the highway. 

The I-Pace's range is 246 miles and the Jaguar EV representatives did not have an answer when I asked how they expected these vehicles would fare not only during a hurricane evacuation but during the aftermath of a storm when the power is sometimes out for weeks.

• Thanks 1

When the E.T. Wright shoe company closed down, I bought up as many pairs of my favorite design as they had in stock.  If I'm careful, they may last until I'm in a home wearing bedroom slippers all day.

When they ban gasoline engines, I will buy a new car and hope it lasts until that same terrible day.  [And if all the electric cars are disabled by a power outage, my then-senile driving skills will be less of an issue on empty roads!]

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Our daughter is currently visiting a dear friend in Albury, Australia.  It's her first visit to that beautiful country but she's afraid that she will die there because she looks left first before crossing the street.  A few close calls.  Hopefully she will remember to look right first soon!

• Like 2

Of course in Ireland they drive on the left but some years ago it was suggested they should drive on the right like the rest of Europe. This meant a complete change of driving side for all road vehicles. 

However, so as not to have the big change all at once it was proposed that all cars start driving on the right from 1 May but heavy vehicles didn't have to switch until 1 June. 

• Haha 4

55 minutes ago, Tothesunset said:

Of course in Ireland they drive on the left but some years ago it was suggested they should drive on the right like the rest of Europe. This meant a complete change of driving side for all road vehicles. 

However, so as not to have the big change all at once it was proposed that all cars start driving on the right from 1 May but heavy vehicles didn't have to switch until 1 June. 

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fi.ytimg.com%2Fvi%2Fh6RWrzRF8Fc%2Fmqdefault.jpg&tbnid=6VUtos6WTZVG9M&vet=12ahUKEwiL4dqH9NH-AhUiLt4AHY0vB0gQMygHegUIARDaAQ..i&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dh6RWrzRF8Fc&docid=nOzALQ6lpmL1BM&w=320&h=180&q=photo of swedish traffic change&client=firefox-b-1-d&ved=2ahUKEwiL4dqH9NH-AhUiLt4AHY0vB0gQMygHegUIARDaAQ

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

55 minutes ago, Tothesunset said:

Egad!  Were they also suggesting separate roads for cars versus heavy vehicles?  What kind of thought process would generate this idea?  Some dots were not being connected!

• Haha 1

Just now, mysty said:

Egad!  Were they also suggesting separate roads for cars versus heavy vehicles?  What kind of thought process would generate this idea?  Some dots were not being connected!

I might not have been totally serious. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Tothesunset said:

I might not have been totally serious. 

TTS,  you're going to have to shoot up a flare! 🤣  With the way our world is going your post sounded plausible!  My bad! 😅

• Haha 4

On 4/29/2023 at 12:48 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

When the E.T. Wright shoe company closed down, I bought up as many pairs of my favorite design as they had in stock.  If I'm careful, they may last until I'm in a home wearing bedroom slippers all day.

When they ban gasoline engines, I will buy a new car and hope it lasts until that same terrible day.  [And if all the electric cars are disabled by a power outage, my then-senile driving skills will be less of an issue on empty roads!]

Back in 1976, I had taken on a weekend job of installing a ceiling in a large warehouse for an older local fellow in the truck parts business.  This guy drove a 1972 (just before the original "Energy Crisis" or oil embargo), long, white Cadillac convertible, with red leather interior.  In the corner of the warehouse was a small area walled off with a roll up door.  I had occasion to go in there to access electrical service.  Parked inside - I kid you not - were two identical Cadillacs, a little dusty, but brand new - 10 miles on the odometers.  He told me he had found his favorite ride, and didn't want to put up with driving anything different for the rest of his life.  He'd start them up a couple times a year, but otherwise they sat there, waiting.  Like Jazzbeau's shoes. 

Meanwhile, in the present, my wife and I have had hybrid Toyotas and Lexus's, dating back to 2005.  We think they are the ideal mix of enviro sensibility, make mechanical good sense, and run on widely available gas.  (Plus tires and brakes last forever, and nothing breaks down, it seems.)  We just helped our daughter buy a Toyota RAV4 HPEV - Hybrid Plug In Electric Vehicle. It still uses gas, but can be plugged in to charge a battery that provides an EV range of about 50 miles, but also kicks in to augment the gas engine for a rather peppy drive, when you want it.  As far as my remaining driving years go, I hope I can do them all with gas hybrids, or an HPEV.  I suspect there will be gas stations for quite a while yet, and we can go drive 400 miles if we need to, without worrying about finding a public charger.  (Many of which our daughter tells us are broken or vandalized.)  The RAV4 she has plugs into a 110v plug we already have in our garage, and charges up in a few hours, when she visits.  The best of both worlds.  (But we didn't buy her 3!)

• Like 3

So when we got back from our snowbird escape in Alabama, everyone in NY said it had been a warm and dry winter (relatively speaking) and also a dry spring.  Well – now the April showers are trying to get the whole month's worth in one day!  This is how I feel:

Screenshot2023-04-30at6_38_56PM.png.ffbcfa4353e9a8e141b45b744e9c4db1.png

Luckily my sump pump is keeping up with the inflow, but I've never heard it work so hard and if it quits my basement will look just like this picture...

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

So when we got back from our snowbird escape in Alabama, everyone in NY said it had been a warm and dry winter (relatively speaking) and also a dry spring.  Well – now the April showers are trying to get the whole month's worth in one day!  This is how I feel:

Screenshot2023-04-30at6_38_56PM.png.ffbcfa4353e9a8e141b45b744e9c4db1.png

Luckily my sump pump is keeping up with the inflow, but I've never heard it work so hard and if it quits my basement will look just like this picture...

Jazz, you may need to stock some pool floaties and snorkels in your basement! 

April usually has such lovely weather, but that's definitely not the case in many places this year.  In Florida, we've been wondering if Mother Nature mistook April for August on the calendar because the weather in many areas in April has been dreadful, with heavy rain, hail - and even a tornado that touched down in my area on Saturday (my neighborhood is OK, but there has been quite a bit of damage nearby).    

• Like 2