Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

2 hours ago, MissSophia said:

Good Afternoon!

Miss S has been well and truly scammed…🙈

Earlier this year my best friend and l bought tickets for an evening event dining under the wings of Concorde….red carpet, black tie bash….

The stage was set, hotel and driver booked and then….

Found out that it was a possible scam thanks to friends who had booked a similar evening aboard the Royal Yacht which was cancelled at literally the last minute.

Further digging, delving and emails to our potential venue have revealed that no such event exists….

Thankfully we’ve been able to limit the damage but it just goes to show how easy it is to succumb!

On a lighter note lunch at the Chester Grosvenor yesterday was excellent…two vodka martinis followed by champagne and the company of my beautiful DD….a real Mum and daughter day..

That’s life 😊

Lovely to hear that The Grosvenor went so well …. and a boozey DD lunch is a really lovely thing.  Wifey has one with our DD tomorrow.  I’m so looking forward to the credit card bill ….. 😉 

The scam is sad.  I know you know this stuff and are extremely self-sufficient so I simply (in case) to remind you should get ALL your cash back rather than a limited amount.  

In order of preference, presuming it was a CC, then it’s Section 75 of The Finance Act, followed by a discretionary  “chargeback” followed by the bank anti-scam recourse scheme.   

Anyway, today in an overcast day was steak pie and mash and Rhone red.  Later there might be a coffee and some incahol. 

Jeff

IMG_6313.jpeg

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

Screenshot_20240708-112327.thumb.png.e90f9a38ca27e678a4453dab7610d7ec.png

😄

So funny.  

Send me details of your cleaner.  They are hired.  I don’t care if the house remains dusty.  More drinking reduces the importance of dust.

Jeff

• Haha 2

On 7/6/2024 at 7:37 AM, DavyWavey70 said:

Have a fabulous time MissSophia. Lovely Hotel. I Did my work experience from college at the Grosvenor. Is Sunday lunch in the Arkle these days?

I thought the name of the hotel sounded familiar, so I pulled out my father’s daily diary of all our trips and lo and behold, we stayed at the Hotel Grosvenor in Chester on July 28, 1956!  We had sailed from NYC to Liverpool on Cunard’s Media and toured around England, Holland, Belgium and France before returning home on the RMS Queen Elizabeth.  I am so fortunate to have his diaries.  Dinner that evening was broiled salmon for some and filet of beef for others in the family at an extraordinary price of 12 shillings - I guess per person but he didn’t specify.  We only stayed one night and then went on to the Lygon Arms in Broadway.  Such wonderful memories.

• Like 4

Emtbsam - I wasn't at the Grosvenor that night - but a few weeks before I was at a dinner dance for someone's 18th birthday!  Dressed up in a long 'frock' for probably the first time.  It seemed like the height of glamour and sophistication to a girl from a little Cheshire village.  

• Like 6

56 minutes ago, Emtbsam said:

We only stayed one night and then went on to the Lygon Arms in Broadway.  Such wonderful memories.

Another fine Hotel, at my time at the Savoy they also owned The Lygon Arms. I Never worked there, only visited. Sounds like a great tour Emtb.

I'm glad you had a wonderful lunch MissSophia but I'm sorry to hear about the other business. 

Which "little Cheshire village" do you hail from Lola. I Was brought up on the Wirral.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

😄

So funny.  

Send me details of your cleaner.  They are hired.  I don’t care if the house remains dusty.  More drinking reduces the importance of dust.

Jeff

I have learned that dust is a protective coating.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Lincslady - I wish I had more memories of the hotel.  I do however, remember the Lygon Arms and the room we had where you had to walk through a lounge and up,a,flight of stairs to get to it.

All of the fine comments are appreciated.

For the ladies who appreciate skillful hands, I am reposting a link to my pizza instruction video.  I hope this one works.Pizza making video

if it doesn’t I will try to edit.  First time using streamable (expires after 2 days). 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Steve,

Thanks for taking the trouble and succeeding in posting the dough!  Have  you thought of uploading to Youtube which might be better ie easier and more permanent?  All we got was the stretch and it stopped. 🙂

You’re a skilled pizza man.  That is a great stretch.  Looks like high hydration, high gluten level etc. and possibly 00 flour?  

Love to see some more.  What oven and temp are you using? 

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, DavyWavey70 said:

Is anybody else getting slightly freaky page refreshes and view next posts? Things are getting jumbled to the point where I’m doubting my poor little mind. 

Must be a glitch in the Transatlantic cable. All fine here!

20 minutes ago, DavyWavey70 said:

Is anybody else getting slightly freaky page refreshes and view next posts? Things are getting jumbled to the point where I’m doubting my poor little mind. 

Here I cant see photos......since this morning.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

Steve,

Thanks for taking the trouble and succeeding in posting the dough!  Have  you thought of uploading to Youtube which might be better ie easier and more permanent?  All we got was the stretch and it stopped. 🙂

You’re a skilled pizza man.  That is a great stretch.  Looks like high hydration, high gluten level etc. and possibly 00 flour?  

Love to see some more.  What oven and temp are you using? 

Jeff

I have my own recipe I’ve seen folks use after I posted on a pizza site.  I use 50% caputo 00 and 50% King Arthur bread flour.

For baking the pie I posted was in an electric Garland oven, at about 700 degrees f.  I found the oven on Craigslist.  It’s a commercial desktop that runs at 110v but takes quite a while to heat up.  I’m good with wood ovens, but they are a lot of work to start and clean.

A few pie photos for fun. I like a rustic sauce style where I just tear the san Mariano tomato and leave chunks . Some would say I under cook.  My eaters aren’t fans of char though.

IMG_0034.jpeg

IMG_2864.jpeg

IMG_6720.jpeg

IMG_8490.jpeg

Edited by Pizzasteve
  • Like 8

Steve, thanks for posting your pictures.   Possibly like you I look at a lot of pizza pictures and all things pizza to me are far too close to an obsession!  

The quality of your pies are exceptional and your stretching and shaping really first class.

I imported a Fimar from Italy which runs up to 900f - and that can take up to an hour to warm and I also imported a thick stone which really helps.

Jeff

15 hours ago, Emtbsam said:

I thought the name of the hotel sounded familiar, so I pulled out my father’s daily diary of all our trips and lo and behold, we stayed at the Hotel Grosvenor in Chester on July 28, 1956!  We had sailed from NYC to Liverpool on Cunard’s Media and toured around England, Holland, Belgium and France before returning home on the RMS Queen Elizabeth.  I am so fortunate to have his diaries.  Dinner that evening was broiled salmon for some and filet of beef for others in the family at an extraordinary price of 12 shillings - I guess per person but he didn’t specify.  We only stayed one night and then went on to the Lygon Arms in Broadway.  Such wonderful memories.

That’s such a lovely story….along with the memories of DW and Lola…

The hotel and l go back to 1966 when l went to train with Steiner who’s salon was in the hotel….it was the start of my ambition to work at sea which l eventually achieved.

I have seen so many changes there over the years some good and some not so good…..it’s no longer the exclusively luxurious place it was but one still feels that special ambiance.

😊

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, mysty said:

Greetings Coolers!

Today's funny.....

66390722_1296189513878312_1600257243431829504_n.jpg.32c19f38626e44c40e7236cf1814988d.jpg

Love this funny….I would call it growing old disgracefully which is my sole intention if only to embarrass the kids! 😉😊

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2