Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

I want to wish Coolers and readers a very Merry Christmas and I send best wishes for the happiest and brightest of New Years!  This holiday season will be a trial for some and a disappointment for many.  Look for any bit of joy you can find!  Keep smiling Coolers!

DSC00005rEV.jpg.3d30bfaa69ca2f0b378f5bacfe7ac7d3.jpg

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, zqtchas said:

lovely eyes, no cataracts.

Cataracts dealt with years ago!  😁  Most of my moving parts are still functional. Gears don't engage as well as they used to but they still engage!  I am one very lucky cookie! 😁

• Haha 1

Terry's after the fact snowfall map is, as expected, much more accurate than the predictions.  We were forecast to get between 8 and 12", with less than a 10% chance of 20".

Here is a photo of our driveway yesterday, and yes, the yardstick does start at zero!

20201217_173140.thumb.jpg.ab8bbaf17f3ae40feb3798561324a97c.jpg

Our snow-thrower has an intake that is 20" high, so clearing 30" often requires using a shovel to cut down the top first.  Of course, the town snowplow helps by moving the snow from the street into a large and wide mountain at the foot of the driveway.

20201217_155330.thumb.jpg.7ef7812443df31e6de12c43bfcf5d3a0.jpg

Unlike our front liners JP and Chris, we have no place we need to go now.  Peter still remembers the frustration of commuting to Albany with the drivers "being safe"  by driving 15 miles an hour with their 4 way flashers on.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, mysty said:

Greetings Coolers!

Today's funny.....

131925914_3587310057982666_8527093446390612463_o.jpg.5c71ad249d9f13a48ec248ab479172c9.jpg

Have a great safe day all!

Mysty, thank you for Canadian memories.  We had a good friend who lived in the Pleasant Park neighbourhood in Ottawa.  He was the one who helped all the neighbours with repairs and with the snow blower.  Your picture could have been taken at his house.

A&P

• Like 1

@FlyingScotSailors - that is impressive! Great pictures, and love that red jacket. I think we have 8 of them now between the 2 of us. I wore one outside while shoveling the walk this morning. The older parkas were decent but these newer 2-piece parkas are just great winter coats. We wear them constantly. SS should pay us to advertise their product - we get lots of questions!

20201218_113825.thumb.jpg.fcbb7a995d3f1060be1e8ec92e10cb50.jpg

After yesterday's insanity I took today off and Chris is working from home, so we're nestled here for the day - though I have been out for some errands. I managed to find a goose. (Sorry, Fletcher, it's a frozen one). Now to browse some recipes.

20201218_115555.thumb.jpg.da68c06ec772ec17a2a88bbf44231e01.jpg

Chris saw on Facebook that Exit 9 was closed yesterday! The horrors. Hope you're well-stocked. We are awaiting a few new gins that are supposed to arrive via FedEx today. AMEX was offering a $20 rebate on a $100 purchase from a spirits delivery service,  and I found a free shipping deal, so why not? I have some Bombay Sapphire East, Botanist, and Glendalough on the way. Let the taste testing commence!

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, silkismom said:

I wanted to share a photo I took several days ago from our bedroom window. Hope I did this correctly.

006-1.jpg

Hi, you did it perfectly.  Thanks for sharing😀

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jpalbny said:

@FlyingScotSailors - that is impressive! Great pictures, and love that red jacket. I think we have 8 of them now between the 2 of us. I wore one outside while shoveling the walk this morning. The older parkas were decent but these newer 2-piece parkas are just great winter coats. We wear them constantly. SS should pay us to advertise their product - we get lots of questions!

20201218_113825.thumb.jpg.fcbb7a995d3f1060be1e8ec92e10cb50.jpg

After yesterday's insanity I took today off and Chris is working from home, so we're nestled here for the day - though I have been out for some errands. I managed to find a goose. (Sorry, Fletcher, it's a frozen one). Now to browse some recipes.

20201218_115555.thumb.jpg.da68c06ec772ec17a2a88bbf44231e01.jpg

Chris saw on Facebook that Exit 9 was closed yesterday! The horrors. Hope you're well-stocked. We are awaiting a few new gins that are supposed to arrive via FedEx today. AMEX was offering a $20 rebate on a $100 purchase from a spirits delivery service,  and I found a free shipping deal, so why not? I have some Bombay Sapphire East, Botanist, and Glendalough on the way. Let the taste testing commence!

The Botanist is superb JP. You'll love it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, QueSeraSera said:

"She was dazzling - alight; it was agony to comprehend her beauty in a glance" F Scott Fitzgerald. 

Anniversary coming up in 2 days.  Wish I could come up with such words...

You know what Que...beautiful words do not mean nearly as much as loving actions!  They tend to speak louder than words!  🥰

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

JP,  I am waiting to hear how that goose came out (with pictures of course😃).

Me too! 🤣

Looking at recipes now.

I do not want to prepare it with a traditional stuffing. That would require the stuffing to be fully cooked which I think will overcook the meat. I found a recipe that uses a brine first, then you let it dry for a day or two so the skin isn't soggy, then stuff some fruit inside and roast it. That is the winner so far.

But not finalized. I have until Monday or so to decide. The bird is thawing in the fridge and it's still pretty solid at the moment.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jpalbny said:

Me too! 🤣

Looking at recipes now.

I do not want to prepare it with a traditional stuffing. That would require the stuffing to be fully cooked which I think will overcook the meat. I found a recipe that uses a brine first, then you let it dry for a day or two so the skin isn't soggy, then stuff some fruit inside and roast it. That is the winner so far.

But not finalized. I have until Monday or so to decide. The bird is thawing in the fridge and it's still pretty solid at the moment.

Oh ok.....this is for your Christmas Dinner? I should have said waiting to hear how the goose

"comes out".......for some reason I thought you had already cooked it!  I am so confused.