Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

14 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Yes.

But as I plan for my impending retirement, it's a reality check that I'm indeed that old...

You're young at heart!  And you are still a relative baby compared to Myster and me! 😅

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jpalbny said:

But as I plan for my impending retirement, it's a reality check that I'm indeed that old...

The reality check will come when you are half-way around a caldera (or halfway up a tower) and your body decides to point out its age in all caps, bold, italic!!!  😱

• Haha 6

Earlier this year Myster and I got the chance to taste a delicious Mexican version of a shrimp cocktail called Coctel de Camarones.

single.jpg.25fee4626044d11db1e3316098702353.jpg 

Here is the recipe for those interested.....

Coctel de Camarones

Ingredients
⅓ cup Spanish onion, chopped

¼ cup freshly squeezed lime juice

1 pound chilled cooked medium shrimp - peeled, deveined, and tails removed

2 roma (plum) tomatoes, chopped

1 cucumber, finely chopped

1 stalk celery, finely chopped

1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped

2 teaspoons salt

2 teaspoons ground black pepper

1 ½ cups chilled tomato and clam juice cocktail (such as Clamato®)

1 cup chilled ketchup (such as Heinz®)

1 bunch fresh cilantro - stems discarded and leaves chopped

2 tablespoons hot pepper sauce (such as Valentina®)

2 avocados - peeled, pitted, and chopped

Directions

Step 1 - Gather all ingredients.
Step 2 - Mix onion with lime juice in a small bowl and allow to stand for 10 minutes.

Step 3 - Meanwhile, toss shrimp, roma tomatoes, cucumber, celery, jalapeno, salt, and black pepper in a medium bowl until thoroughly combined.

Step 4 - Whisk tomato and clam juice cocktail, ketchup, cilantro, and hot pepper sauce in a separate bowl; stir dressing into shrimp mixture.  (Our recipe addition a shot of vodka) 🙂 

Step 5 - Gently fold in avocados. Stir in onion mixture. Cover and chill thoroughly, at least 1 hour.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/228393/authentic-mexican-shrimp-cocktail-coctel-de-camarones-estilo-mexicano/

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

The reality check will come when you are half-way around a caldera (or halfway up a tower) and your body decides to point out its age in all caps, bold, italic!!!  😱

Undoubtedly. That's why we are doing as much of that as possible, now, while it's easier. We are very lucky to have this opportunity and we plan to make as much of it as we can!

• Like 8

Yes, jp, make the most of it.  But you may be surprised at how long you still 'feel' young for.  When I was little my granny wore long black dresses, and seemed really ancient; she was probably 65 or 70.  Here I am still wearing jeans, and my children are over 65!  (I was a child bride of course).  So don't expect to start fading from fitness until at least 80, since you two are obviously fit at present.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Some times remarkable things happen. I had been having marked mobility problems since early May when I developed right sided sciatica. A bone scan revealed I had a crush fracture of L2 which caused increased problem with my known Spinal canal stenosis at L4,5.

But 10 days ago my back pain basically disappeared for the first time since 2010. So my walking has increased to 12-16000 steps a day.

And today my weight was down to 79.3Kg. 174.5 pounds. The last time I was at that weight was 60 years ago in my last year at High School.

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, lincslady said:

Yes, jp, make the most of it.  But you may be surprised at how long you still 'feel' young for.  When I was little my granny wore long black dresses, and seemed really ancient; she was probably 65 or 70.  Here I am still wearing jeans, and my children are over 65!  (I was a child bride of course).  So don't expect to start fading from fitness until at least 80, since you two are obviously fit at present.  

Thanks Lola. I've been thinking about age a lot lately. Being "old enough" to retire will do that to you I guess.

Three of my four grandparents were relatively young. When I was born, they were aged 45, 47, and 49... all numbers which I've surpassed quite a while ago! And yes, when I was a wee lad they seemed ancient to me as well. I can't reconcile this, since I'm definitely not ancient yet!

Anyway. This year for whatever reason, my tomato crop is rubbish, but I have heaps of beautiful basil to use up.

I had stale bread lying around so I made panzanella salad with store-bought tomatoes for dinner tonight. Along with tons of my basil. It was delicious. 

20240812_201320.thumb.jpg.e8ee2ca248b1ac4be0d88d81534582c0.jpg

Accompanied by a quick pasta dish with prosciutto and garlic.

20240812_201324.thumb.jpg.1f7c2c2516a7cab76d7c1299ce608539.jpg

A Frappato from Sicily went well on this delightfully cool summer night. Pleasant dreams to all!

• Like 12

We often complain about our NHS but l can’t speak more highly of them after my son in law took ill on Sunday night..paramedics stayed with him for over three hours which thankfully avoided him being admitted into hospital…sometimes the rough days are hard but as we get older more bearable….l think 😊

IMG_1855.jpeg

• Like 6

Last year, I decided to embark on a bit of a fitness routine to see if I could feel less flabby and generally stronger.  My routine only lasts about 15 minutes, and I have seen some positive results especially in the way my clothes fit.  I decided to do my age in sit ups, so this year I have been doing 77 sit ups daily.  Now as I approach my birthday, I realize that instead of slacking off, I will have to do 78!  Then, if I am lucky, 79, 80, etc.  I have to admit, it is a bit of an ego trip, but it keeps me going.

• Like 8

Today we did our wine and spirits run to the LCBO.  We picked up one of our favourite gins....Ungava.

Ungava Gin
The Gin As Wild As The Arctic

Six rare botanicals that grow in the Arctic tundra influence the exceptional taste and colour that is signature to Ungava Gin.

Taste Profile
Nose
The Nordic juniper expresses its citrusy character with verve.

Mouth
Bright, lively and exceptionally smooth. The unusually long five week steeping process allows for an aromatic balance of citrus, warmth and spice.

Six Rare Botanicals
Nordic Juniper
Wild Rose Hip
Labrador Tea
Crowberry
Arctic Blend
Cloudberry

Ungava-Gin-750ml-EN-compress.png.ce9bc9ac0a9ed98d6c780edc07597dc3.png

The other Canadian gin we enjoy was not in stock..... Empress 1908

Empress 1908
INDIGO GIN

Handcrafted in small batch copper-pot stills, Empress 1908 Indigo Gin is made by Victoria Distillers and inspired by the legendary Fairmont Empress Hotel in Victoria, British Columbia. Since 1908, travelers from around the world have fallen in love with the hotel for its majestic grandeur, picturesque vistas, and incomparable afternoon tea service. This tradition in particular inspired the creation of Empress Indigo Gin. By taking a classic Empress tea and coupling it with carefully sourced botanicals, we created a unique gin that pairs traditional juniper notes of a London Dry with a modern flavour profile. The result is a gin that is at once delicate and opulent.

Butterfly pea blossom gives Empress 1908 its distinct indigo hue. Discovered in another bespoke Empress tea blend, the pea blossom imbues the gin with a distinctive earthy note that balances traditional citrus notes and yields a rich pigmentation. This deep indigo hue changes to bright lavender, soft pink, or fuchsia depending on the mixer, adding to the rich sensory experience of enjoying an Empress 1908 cocktail. No artificial colours or stabilizers are used, so while the flavour will last forever, the unique indigo colour will fade over time. Fading is accelerated by exposure to sunlight, so we recommend that you experience each bottle within a year of purchase and store it in a cool, dark place. After all, a gin this beautiful is meant to be enjoyed at its best.
Capture.JPG.fd9669e61c6720c5c38bb564aa945176.JPG

Maybe we are mesmerized by the colours.  😅

On our big adventure we had access to an awesome rum from Barbados.....Bumbu.

Bumbu Rum

This craft spirit is made in small batches at a 19th century distillery in Barbados, using a 400-year-old recipe. Rumoured to be a favourite of sailors and seaside merchants in the colonial West Indies, its tropical fruit and spicy notes give it a distinctively Caribbean character.

The Original Bumbu's heritage isn’t just historical – it’s geological. Unlike most Caribbean islands (formed by volcanos), Barbados was created by coral reefs. Here, the ground water is purified as it’s forced through our natural limestone, making Barbadian water some of the finest in the world.

This exceptionally pure water, coupled with carefully selected sugarcane from across the Caribbean and South America, lends the lightness and smoothness that’s central to Bumbu’s remarkable drinkability. Pure Bajan water forms a part of each bottle of Bumbu.

646729.jpg.thumb_1280_1280.jpg.a2588254333cbf667448c58da4e50215.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, DavyWavey70 said:

I Remember that Empress gin very well M. Very nice. I’ve been down another rabbit-hole on YouTube tonight. The destination was the last time God save the Queen was sung. Sorely missed. 

image.png

Beautiful @Daveywavey70!  Both the tribute and the gin!  🥰

On 8/13/2024 at 11:45 AM, jpalbny said:

Thanks Lola. I've been thinking about age a lot lately. Being "old enough" to retire will do that to you I guess.

Three of my four grandparents were relatively young. When I was born, they were aged 45, 47, and 49... all numbers which I've surpassed quite a while ago! And yes, when I was a wee lad they seemed ancient to me as well. I can't reconcile this, since I'm definitely not ancient ye

image.jpeg.fc74c61e3501f04639e734f7d3a9723a.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Back to the gins - as effectively a non-gin drinker (i.e. only with tonic, or better in a negroni), presumably you are drinking these spectacular gins neat, or on the rocks, or some other way,  in order to really appreciate the special flavours?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lincslady said:

Back to the gins - as effectively a non-gin drinker (i.e. only with tonic, or better in a negroni), presumably you are drinking these spectacular gins neat, or on the rocks, or some other way,  in order to really appreciate the special flavours?

We have been known to drink them neat.  😁  Mostly they are enjoyed in a very dry martini.  Yummy!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, M, sadly another drink I do not enjoy much (the problem is I really do not like the taste of gin!) but my favourite drink of all time is a classic Negroni - and I have been drinking them since long before the recent surge of interest.  Maybe partly because it is so easy to make, just one third of each ingredient.  And pretty alcoholic of course.  More than two and you are likely to be under the table.

• Like 3