More beer options on Princess!

dides

I just want to point out that someone recently posted saying Princess should add at least one craft beer to the menu, and he was chastised by people telling him to accept the current options and stop thinking himself so important that Princess would care what he wanted. It appears he deleted the entire thread. But I guess what the customer wants does matter, so here's to that guy! [emoji482]
Cheers to that!!

Sent from my 2PYB2 using Forums mobile app

A 'flight' is a sample of several beers, in smaller glasses. Often Brew Pubs will sell samples of four or so beers, usually on a wooden paddle with recesses to accommodate a small glass. This makes it easier to carry. Not sure but I think Vines might do Wine Flights - samples of several Chardonnay for example.

Thank you for the info.

I'm cruising to Alaska on Princess next month... and I'm thinking that the Beverage Package is not that good a deal - I'll just buy the beers by the bucket, and bring some wine on board. I love a draft beer vs a bottled beer, though. I wonder if they will have the new beer selections by September?

Here’s a link to the Princess press release about their updated drink options. I am also interested in how their wine menu will change.

Princess Cruises Unveils New Beverage Menus Featuring Globally Inspired Cocktails”

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=140690&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=2362817

”In addition to the new cocktails, the line has added 20 new high-end and exotic spirits, 39 new wines by the glass, and 17 new international and craft beers to the new menu.

The new beverage menu offerings will be available aboard all ships in fall 2018.

In addition to adding the new wines by the glass, Princess Cruises worked with Doug Frost, one of only four people in the world to hold both the prestigious ranks of Master Sommelier and Master of Wine to refresh the wine menus onboard. More specific details will be shortly announced”.

Hope this is rolled out in time for our October sailing!

I for one will welcome a better beer selection being offered. The beer they now sell ranges from swill to slightly drinkable. I am a lover of hoppy beer so bring on the more serious IPAs. The wine selection in Vines is decent but could be better and the selection of bourbon is basic at best. Hopefully they will add some decent drinkable bourbons to the list. As for the new foo foo drinks, I will pass. I gave up kool-ade decades ago.

At the end of the article it mentions 5 new ships on order between now and 2025. The first three will be royal class ships with the Sky being the first to be delivered in October 2019. The real new news are the two new class ships to join the fleet in 2023 and 2025 that will hold 4300. Those ships will be LNG ships. I am not too crazy about megaships and certainly not the gargantuan of the seas currently afloat now. It is time to retire the grand class ships.

I'm cruising to Alaska on Princess next month... and I'm thinking that the Beverage Package is not that good a deal - I'll just buy the beers by the bucket, and bring some wine on board. I love a draft beer vs a bottled beer, though. I wonder if they will have the new beer selections by September?

We were on the Grand from SFO on 07/25 10 day Alaska. Newcastle on Tap, 3 Alaska Breweries, Amber,White, and forgot the last. Guess my 15 beers a day PBP caught up to me.

I had a lovely Belgian Beer every night in the MDR on our Caribbean Princess Circle Caribbean cruise in March. 10%ABV. $11 plus gratuity per 330ml bottle :o Worth every penny though. I expect some of the new offerings will be priced similarly.

No way I'm paying $12.65 for a small bottle of beer (I don't care how good it is).

Once implemented, it’ll be interesting to learn if prices will also increase.

My RCI experience has been that I had to get a wine package to reduce their higher prices to the Princess non-package prices. I’ve read that prices for alcoholic drinks on Celebrity are more expensive than on Princess.

Last year’s wine list changes came with increased prices so it wouldn’t surprise me if their enhanced beverage menus had a higher price. The PBP increased the maximum price to $12 which might be more common with their new enhanced drink options.

The wine price increases with the latest wine list are ridiculous! We enjoy the Ruffinio Ducale Chianti Classico which increased in price from $42 to $46 or $52.90 with gratuity. With the 12 bottle Gold wine package that costs $33.20 but is only available on cruises of 10 days or more. We can buy it for around $18 with local taxes and with the $15 corkage it is the same price as with the best package.

On our upcoming 28 day cruise we will be bringing 18-24 bottles from our cellar and gladly pay the $15 corkage to drink good wines in the MDR.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Two words - WOOOO HOOOOOO.

About time. Their current beer selection is less than limited and wine selections by the glass ridiculous. Compared with other cruise lines they were so far behind I thought they forgot they were in competition.

No way I'm paying $12.65 for a small bottle of beer (I don't care how good it is).

Why can’t we bring beer onboard and pay something similar to a corkage fee after the FREE one?? Much discrimination toward beer drinkers as opposed to wine drinkers! Many dozens of wine choices...17 (?) beers to choose from! [emoji1361][emoji1361]

The new cocktails will be priced so that they are not included in the beverage package. That’s how it was when they came out with the new cocktails tied to Norman Love chocolates. The priced them above it so if you wanted one, you had to pay for the entire cocktail. IIRC, they were $14 or so.

I’m thrilled to hear about the new beers they will finally be carrying, it’s about time!!

You state this as a fact. Is it a fact and what is the source? I know most of us suspect something bad will happen with pricing which is sad because Princess was one of the few lines that had one bev package and it covered most of the single drinks, cocktails, glasses of wine, or beer as well as water and coffee drinks. Just watching to see if that advantage changes.

Happy to hear about more beer choice. Lots of PAX will like them. Princess, just in case you are reading this thread. Please offer more choices in Diet Sodas. I am getting tired of carrying mine on!

Can we also have more than one alcohol free beer. DH's new medication doesn't tolerate any alcohol at all.

Why can’t we bring beer onboard and pay something similar to a corkage fee after the FREE one?? Much discrimination toward beer drinkers as opposed to wine drinkers! Many dozens of wine choices...17 (?) beers to choose from! [emoji1361][emoji1361]

I consider myself a pretty well traveled beer drinker and 17 options over a week seems like plenty to me. However, I'm all for the BYOB or maybe a 6-pack per person. It's a step in the right direction but obviously can't please everyone.

That's a very valid point. Have you ever expressed your request to customerrelations@princess.com ?

Bring Belgiums or similar with a cork. We were in Belgium an brought beer on board without a problem when returned to the ship. It was not held and could be enjoyed in the room. I have not tried to board with a corked beer in my luggage but my guess is that a 750 ml bottle would look like a wine or port wine bottle and pass.

The 333 ml beer on board is Gulden Draak 9000 quadrupel. It is the best Beer on board the ship - by far. May not a hot weather beer, not a pool side beer. A great meal beer or an evening on the deck beer.

remember -- You have to quantify "IPA" an English IPA is very different than an American IPA. those that don't like one may like the other.

There was a beer on board the Sapphire out of Southampton. (22 0z.) It was an IPA, but that IPA had a strong malt backbone so an american beer person may not appreciate that beer for what it is, but it was a fine beer for pool side.

some interest on the tread about beer flights but for beer flights there would have to be an extensive keg beer offering which means MORE Taps. I do not recall a bar with extensive ( more than 2 ) taps.

The 333 ml beer on board is Gulden Draak 9000 quadrupel. It is the best Beer on board the ship - by far. May not a hot weather beer, not a pool side beer. A great meal beer or an evening on the deck beer.

This is the one I had on the Caribbean Princess every night in the MDR. Delicious ;p

it was on the cocktail menu in the pacific moon dining room. ( sapphire ) Then I asked the staff in the dinning room if it was available at all bars. I was told yes and if not they could get it for me . I found that every bar I asked had it . Be careful if this becomes your go to beer! If you do not know you are drinking a 10 % beer , you will when you have 3 and stand up .

and how did you learn it was available and was it shipwide, or just the mdr?

It was on the MDR drinks menu. Didn’t ask anywhere else. Like Charlie Murphy has said, it’s pretty strong and it’s also pretty expensive.

We love to drink local beers in most ports. I have always carried back one or two for our cabin and never been stopped. We enjoy trying all the varieties. Will be in the Baltic in two weeks and my beer buds are on overdrive.