Anyone had a shared dinner table lately?

We love MTD and not having to deal with a large table anymore. Three hour dinners are just not our thing. We meet so many people on the cruise - at the pool, bars, etc, that we have found we LOVE having dinner in MTD with just the 2 of us. Normally others are close enough if you want to chat you can. We don't do desserts as a rule, so being able to get in/out of dinner in 1.5 hours at the most is fantastic. Have so many other things to do than sit and wait for 3 hours so everyone is done with dinner.

We enjoy talking about our day, who we met, etc and what we are doing the next day. We have done MTD since it started and never will go back. Also for us, the flexibility is key. I don't want to eat at a certain time. Now we eat around the shows or whatever is going on each evening. Totally works for us.

Did you "copy and paste" me? Lol. This is almost exactly what I say, when this question is posted. :):cool:

We love MTD and not having to deal with a large table anymore. Three hour dinners are just not our thing. We meet so many people on the cruise - at the pool, bars, etc, that we have found we LOVE having dinner in MTD with just the 2 of us. Normally others are close enough if you want to chat you can. We don't do desserts as a rule, so being able to get in/out of dinner in 1.5 hours at the most is fantastic. Have so many other things to do than sit and wait for 3 hours so everyone is done with dinner.

Total exaggeration. We always do early seating at a table for 6 or 8 and dinner has never lasted 3 hours. If it did, the late seating diners would be breathing down our necks for their table. 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 is the norm.

We are happy to share tables at breakfast or lunch. It's only one meal, and we enjoy meeting new people on these terms.

We do not want to share a table for dinner, and potentially get stuck dining with people we don't like. Also, we tend to do a fair bit of specialty dining, and would feel bad about leaving empty seats for our tablemates each night.

We usually do late seating but table for two. We're not at all social. Like to keep to ourselves. Lately, we don't even go into the dining room. I guess after almost 32yrs. we're still okay with each others company.

We choose MTD and when we turn up ask for the biggest table, sometimes we are first, other times people are there. New people to meet every night. We are from Scotland and on our Baltic cruise became great friends with a Florida couple, we have kept in touch and met up again in Miami!

We always ask for a large table during lunch in the MDR as well. We meet a lot of nice and interesting people.

For some reason every lunch has at least one person asking the same 3 questions every day:

1)Where do you live ?

2) What is your job ?

3)Do you have any children ?

We always request a table for 2. We don’t really want to talk to anyone else. We like reliving our day, planning tomorrow, sharing our food, and talking with the waiter/assistant waiter.

Our past cruise we were very happy with our table for 2. Until the next table over (also a table for 2) did not respect the gap at all. We might as well had been a table of 4. From the moment we sat down they talked, and talked, and talked. I never got to talk to my wife because this couple would not stop talking. The kind of people who could talk to a wall.

If there was one positive from the experience it’s that we are now 100% totally sure we never want to sit with anyone but us.

Yep.... # 2 is terrible. Hope people read this.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I always hate when I'm asked:

1. How much did you earn last year?

2. I'm not feeling well, do I look sick to you?

3. Are you going to finish that?

4. Who are you voting for this time around?

5. Can we switch seats?

6. Are you the guy who dated my cousin in High School?

7. You look familiar, were we in prison together?

I have to add that there was one time on Oasis that due to a mix up, we ended up at a table for four for one night. First two nights we did specialty restaurants, and when we arrived at our expected table for two on the third night, the dining staff had forgot to split the table into two two's.

Anyways, we thought we would suck it up and make do. Suddenly there is an all ship announcement asking for O negative blood donors. I was ever so relieved to be able to escape this couple for a bit! I get back to the table (turns out they only wanted male donors) and the man of this couple states that he too is O neg., but that every since the Hepatitis scare in the boat shed, he can't give any more! WHAT???

Then as we were finishing up our entrees, the wife reaches over and takes our dirty plates and utensils and starts piling everything up in the middle of the table! Even our waiter had a hard time keeping the shock off his face when he came to bus the already bussed table!

At the end of the meal we made a stop to request a new table! We honestly felt badly about ditching anyone, but enough was enough!

Trust me, it seems to always come up onboard.

We like wearing our Harley shirts and you would be surprised how much pleasant conversation that produces.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Worst table mates ever wore HD tee shirts almost every night. Brilliance out of Tampa. All he did was talk about being a crane operator in NYC.

I never asked what he did. He had no interest in anything we said. She seemed embarrassed by his behavior.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Worst table mates ever wore HD tee shirts almost every night. Brilliance out of Tampa. All he did was talk about being a crane operator in NYC.

I never asked what he did. He had no interest in anything we said. She seemed embarrassed by his behavior.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Why would you ask, sounds like he took that topic off the table?

Maybe "Is that as uplifting a profession as it sounds?"

We usually ask to be at table for 6 or 8. Like others have said, some couples never show up, or are at specialty restaurants several nights. Our last cruise, there were 3 of us and two additional couples who came each night, so it can still happen. We all laughed a lot and had some fun conversations.

We were at a table for 6 on the Allure and one of the couples said they were on a second honeymoon and were going to get a table for 2. The next night another couple was assigned to our table in their place, and he spent the entire meal telling us stridently what was wrong with the health system in the US - he was from Canada. Another man at our table tried to answer some of his comments in a reasonable way, but it was not an easy dinner. His wife said nothing. The next night they did not show up and we had pleasant dinners the rest of the week with the remaining couple.

Most unusual table mate for me. ---- lone lady cruising solo. She had a few too many , fell asleep sitting uprite at the table. Still asleep when we all left.:lips-sealed: :rolleyes:

OMG that's so funny. Good thing her face didn't fall flat into her food.

My wife and I have only been on 7 cruises and we have always sat at a table of 8 or 10 and we have thoroughly enjoyed meeting our tablemates except on one cruise. We had a couple that could top anything you said. They talked over everyone and treated the waitstaff like slaves. We will continue to dine at the large tables but if we ever encounter another situation of obnoxious people we will ask to be moved to another table. We've paid too much for our cruise and we aren't going to allow anyone to ruin it.

I can't stand it when others treat the workers like slaves or are rude to them. They probably don't have the education or the money like people do on cruises, but they are humans and have feelings too. Yes, I'm THAT person when I hear people acting like idiot's and are rude and I will put them in their place. So funny to see their faces. I'm probably the first one that has ever said anything to them and they are usually very shocked. :') Others can think I'm a bi+ch, but I don't care. They have no right to treat others like that.

We usually ask to be at table for 6 or 8. Like others have said, some couples never show up, or are at specialty restaurants several nights. Our last cruise, there were 3 of us and two additional couples who came each night, so it can still happen. We all laughed a lot and had some fun conversations.

We were at a table for 6 on the Allure and one of the couples said they were on a second honeymoon and were going to get a table for 2. The next night another couple was assigned to our table in their place, and he spent the entire meal telling us stridently what was wrong with the health system in the US - he was from Canada. Another man at our table tried to answer some of his comments in a reasonable way, but it was not an easy dinner. His wife said nothing. The next night they did not show up and we had pleasant dinners the rest of the week with the remaining couple.

Rude Canadians...who knew?? ;) LOL Yes, we do exist.

But we have learned to never Never NEVER talk about health care during a cruise; it can start off a firestorm. I will never forget one lunch on a Carnival ship. I believe it was a table for 6 if not more and we were all chatting about where we were from. Then this one older woman who apparently had a real bee in her bonnet about health care took over the conversation and got progressively louder, leaned into us, (she was sitting beside DH), and became so offensive that we just got up and left. The only thing I recall her mentioning was catastrophic health care. The Head Waiter who was nearby, no surprise as her voice carried, was upset but we asked him to just leave the situation be. What he may have done or said after we left, we do not know but when DH glanced back he told me the Head Waiter was at the table.

Rude Canadians...who knew?? ;) LOL Yes, we do exist.

I don't know.... I think it might have been some dishonest person trying to stir anti-Canadian sentiment. I have never experienced a rude Canadian. Well, maybe in Montreal, but I can't be sure. I don't speak French, and most things sound a little rude when said in French. Even when the elevator announces the floor it's on. I suppose it also could have been someone from a northern state that moved across the border.

Since the early 2000s, sitting at larger tables has never worked out for me! I want it to work out so badly! If my husband and I are sailing on an adult vacation, we get put with families. When we sail with our kid, we get put with retirees! It's such a mismatch. My kid can put on a good show of pretending to know his manners, but I wouldn't wish a conversation about the intricacies of various video games on anyone! Or the intricacies of the currant geo-political climate on him!

I am not super fussy, but we have had table mates show up literally dripping wet in pool cover ups in the MDR at dinner, speak in EXCESSIVE slang and expect waiters from other countries to understand them, complain about the lack of cell phone service in the middle of the Atlantic (back in the day), tell us about all the jewelry they buy and the cost of it all, on and on and on. I usually just request a small table now. :(:(