Help! Decided to Cruise Post Surgery ... Coming up Quickly

Schoifmom

DH and I had decided on a land vacation this year to save money. Now, I'm scheduled for foot/ankle surgery at the end of this month and know that the amount of time that we were planning to spend in the car and on tour buses just will not work! I can't think of a better way to recuperate than on a cruise!

Please don't chime in on whether or not I should be going. I'll be 5.5 weeks post op and back to work, but still non-weight bearing. I have all of the mobility things figured out. What I can't decide on is whether to cruise on the Miracle out of Tampa or the Conquest out of Fort Lauderdale.

Tampa is only a 2 hour direct flight and Fort L is 3. I can get a better room on the Conquest, but I'm not sure that it really off-sets the extra hour of flight time with my foot in a cast.

If you had to select between the two ships, which one would you choose and why?

I'd been NWB for almost 3 months a while back, I definitely would go with the shorter flight ... I think even 2 hours might be difficult without being able to elevate your foot. Mine still swelled pretty badly at only 5 weeks out. JMO. :)

Thanks. The good thing is that on Southwest with medical pre-boarding, you can typically get a bulkhead seat with extra leg room (I'm a really short person, so it has never mattered :) ). Bringing down a suitcase to prop my foot on and icing the back of my knee should help with that.

I'd been NWB for almost 3 months a while back, I definitely would go with the shorter flight ... I think even 2 hours might be difficult without being able to elevate your foot. Mine still swelled pretty badly at only 5 weeks out. JMO. :)

Ditto. The shorter the flight, the better. Make sure you can take some pain meds, just in case. Changes can bring on inflammation. I think you have a made a great decision on a cruise. You can sit and recline your foot really easily and have a great time.

Please don't chime in on whether or not I should be going. I'll be 5.5 weeks post op and back to work, but still non-weight bearing. I have all of the mobility things figured out. What I can't decide on is whether to cruise on the Miracle out of Tampa or the Conquest out of Fort Lauderdale.

I'd stay home and save my vacation for a time I could use it to its full-est.

Thanks for really reading the post :rolleyes::rolleyes:. We vacation then, or we don't at all. Not vacationing at all is not really a viable option.

First off just a word of caution about flying after surgery, I just had surgery (to remove a temporary implant) the end of June. Part of the both the pre-surgical and post op discussions with the surgeon was about an upcoming (2 hour) flight at the end off Sept. Normally the Doc would have suggested no extreme altitude changes for a minimum 4 months afterwards, but is letting me go as long as I wear surgical compression hose starting at least 3 hours prior to the flight time and do an aspirin regiment the week before each flight to prevent thrombosis. Your surgeon may have different advice for you specific surgery, age and general health condition.

With that said I would go with the cruise that is going to ports that I would not regret not seeing if I can not venture much further out than the immediate port area or worst case couldn't get off the ship due to tendering. Secondly I would pick the ship that minimizes how many "footsteps" between my favorite areas on board and my preferred cabin location. Another thing I would consider is which ship has bigger cabins in case I needed to rent a scooter or wheelchair for the duration.

Glad to see that the previous poster mentioned surgical compression hosiery. Discuss it with your physician and make sure it's graduated either 20-30 or 30-40. They come either knee high or thigh high and open toed if you're diabetic.

I cruised on the Miracle in February. Be prepared for long, long wait times for an elevator all of day one. Most of the elevators are closed for baggage. Some of the corridors (like the one heading to the dining room by the Alchemy bar) are pretty narrow because they’ve putting seating on one side. As long as you give yourself ample time to get places, you should be fine.

Be sure to call and discuss the best cabin options for a mobility device with your PVP. Personally, I’d consider avoiding the deck that has suites because of the sharp turns in the halls and slight narrowing (from the change in room size).

If you’re a fan of your time dining, they have plenty of two top table options with easy access too.

As far as the flight, no items can be stowed on the floor of a bulk head for safety reasons (at least on the airline I work for). So keep that in mind if you’re trying to elevate your feet during flight.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Wow.....lots of opinions. I've had 14 surgeries on my spine and have cruised after several of them. Usually not as quickly as you are going to. Doesn't sound like you are having heart, lung, or other major organ surgery so I think you'll get away without the stockings. Besides, sounds like you'll only be able to wear one. May I suggest that you bring one of the rolling knee cart rest contraptions. Scooters and wheelchairs are quite large and can be a nuisance to the operator in that space can be limited (been there, done that, have T-shirt). The Conquest ships are larger and have more room and more elevators for your usage then the Pride. There will be several easy excursions that you can sign up for at each port or enjoy the quiet of the ship. Some of our best times have been when most folks are off the boat and we have the run of the ship. Our last trip was on the Conquest and we enjoyed it very much!

Best of luck to you in making your decision.......see you on board!

I cruised on the Miracle in February. Be prepared for long, long wait times for an elevator all of day one. Most of the elevators are closed for baggage. Some of the corridors (like the one heading to the dining room by the Alchemy bar) are pretty narrow because they’ve putting seating on one side. As long as you give yourself ample time to get places, you should be fine.

Be sure to call and discuss the best cabin options for a mobility device with your PVP. Personally, I’d consider avoiding the deck that has suites because of the sharp turns in the halls and slight narrowing (from the change in room size).

If you’re a fan of your time dining, they have plenty of two top table options with easy access too.

As far as the flight, no items can be stowed on the floor of a bulk head for safety reasons (at least on the airline I work for). So keep that in mind if you’re trying to elevate your feet during flight.

Actually (since I fly about monthly, so I definitely know), you only have to have those items stored during takeoff and landing. Otherwise, you are free to retrieve your items from the overhead compartment. I’m definitely a rule follower :)

DH and I had decided on a land vacation this year to save money. Now, I'm scheduled for foot/ankle surgery at the end of this month and know that the amount of time that we were planning to spend in the car and on tour buses just will not work! I can't think of a better way to recuperate than on a cruise!

Tampa is only a 2 hour direct flight and Fort L is 3. I can get a better room on the Conquest, but I'm not sure that it really off-sets the extra hour of flight time with my foot in a cast.

I prefer neither. Don't do it. I have had achilles surgery a couple years ago....have some experience.

The big thing is you are SCHEDULED for surgery. Who knows if that gets cancelled or postponed a couple weeks. What if there are complications? Nope...too many unknowns and too many chances for an issue once you are on the ship, even if you say you have the mobility issues figured out. I suggest a stay-cation. You only have that one foot (L or R). The cruise ships will be there next year..and the year after and after and after.

I would also carry a plastic food storage bag and ask the flight attendant to fill it with ice. You can ice your ankle during the flight to reduce the edema.

Have a wonderful time on your cruise !

Talk with your Dr about flying post op. Suggest having seats with your legs elevated.

DD had ankle surgery, she found the best way to elevate her leg in bed was to raise the whole foot of the mattress. We’ve used a life jacket, hanging the straps out for easy removal.

Stay home , your foot will SWELL up badly on an airplane.

I have been on these boards long enough that I should have known better.

I really don’t want your advice telling me to wait until I will enjoy it more. You honestly don’t know what I enjoy most on a cruise.

I definitely don’t want your medical advice. Barring any complications, I will be released for short flights at that point, I am perfectly capable of managing my own health issues. If I am not released to fly, THAT is what insurance is for.

I really don’t want your advice telling me to wait until I will enjoy it more. You honestly don’t know what I enjoy most on a cruise.

I definitely don’t want your medical advice. Barring any complications, I will be released for short flights at that point, I am perfectly capable of managing my own health issues. If I am not released to fly, THAT is what insurance is for.

That ain't the way these boards work.

You should know better.

Hi

I see. Many people seem concerned about your well being and are suggesting that flying is not a good idea. You don't seem to appreciate that at all. We know you are an adult and are going to make your own decision anyway.

Looking at the other responses, even those people are concerned about you flying. Nobody is suggesting taking a longer flight. What more did you want people to say. As you said yourself, you should have known better.

good luck

hope you don't need the insurance

We went this summer about 6 weeks after my daughters ankle surgery. She was on crutches and non weight bearing. We took a wheelchair with us. It all worked out great. The wheelchair was too wide to go through the cabin door but she would just use the crutches.

Schoifmom hello.

I tell you a story....this past February I had spinal cord surgery and anterior cervical disectomy and fusion, I also was on these. boards asking people what they thought and fortunately most told me what better way to recuperate being on the cruise. I had 7 weeks recovery which is little time since the stem cells put in me need to grow into bone and takes up to a year. I also thought about being through all that and dealing with all the pain I deserve to get away so I went and it was the best thing I did even though I had to wear an electrical brace for 4 hours each day.

This week I was diagnosed with malignant melanoma and I believe it went into my lymph nodes because for the past three months I been very dizzy, feeling nauseas, night sweats, ringing ear, lump in throat etc.....I just took a PET scan yesterday and took another punch biopsy Wednesday as the first biopsy showed it being very deep and they need to grade the cancer....needless to say, I am booked on the Majesty of the Seas to Cuba which I never thought I get to see in my lifetime....even though I may be diagnosed with terminal cancer, I AM GOING!! (for those who will disagree and say some comments don't bother my mind is set, if I am going to have a fight of cancer I am going to enjoy myself before it as the cruise is in 17 days).....with that being said, when I come back I take care of it and I have six weeks to deal with it to my next cruise on October 14th (if I need more time for treatment I will cancel maybe lol).

What I am trying to say to you, its your ankle/foot yes it be a challenge for you but after what you go through you deserve this cruise! You can rent a scooter or wheelchair and if you don't need it then you use whatever medical device the doctor gives you but I say have a scooter rented so it be alot easier on you should you need it. I have been on cruises where I seen others with foot issues and you won't be the only one, in fact, a few years ago our family had a cruise together and one of us had a broken foot and she rented a wheelchair and a special wheelchair for the beach (it had huge wheels) and she was able to enjoy your cruise.

Go and have a great time, what better way of healing than being on a cruise.

I say if the dr. clears you to fly..fly! I did it after knee surgery..was cleared to do so. I might lean towards the shorter flight. On the flight if you get a seat with leg room....order one of the inflammable cubes made to use on an airplane to elevate your feet!!! There are actually a few different options of items to use. I too would rather recouperate on a ship!

cuisegirl6, I am sorry about your diagnosis, my mother passed from this also, but she also LIVED her life as she wanted to. So enjoy Cuba!

now, Schoifmom-you asked what ship, and I ask what do you treasure most when cruising? Lido deck? then stay in middle to back, are you a smoker? front- do it all and entertainment, middle to back. either ship. I have not been on the Conquest, it's a bit shorter than the Miracle, so it would be less "hall" travel, but since the Miracle is like the Legend, and I have cruised that 3 times, I would choose that cruise. Cruises heal. (read my signature lines). You may have problems tendering to Grand Cayman, but if you don't get off the ship? You have the ship to yourself! I would rent and bring a wheel chair for Cozumel, and if you get off at Mahogany Bay.

Enjoy your cruise.

Maybe you should have just asked us which ship without the backstory. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Oh, request a shower chair.