Help! Decided to Cruise Post Surgery ... Coming up Quickly

Schoifmom

Just a thought in terms of your plan to sit in a bulkhead seat. I just purchased this wonderful contraption on Amazon recently: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M35M87O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's an airplane footrest to elevate your foot or feet, but it wouldn't work in a bulkhead seat because it hangs over the tray that folds down from the seat in front of you. I don't know if it would be better for your situation than the bulkhead seat plan, but I thought I'd point it out in case you didn't know about this kind of item. For what it's worth, I've found it to be really comfortable. I'm short, too, so it's nice to have that footrest there. The height is adjustable. Good luck!!!

Just a thought in terms of your plan to sit in a bulkhead seat. I just purchased this wonderful contraption on Amazon recently: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M35M87O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's an airplane footrest to elevate your foot or feet, but it wouldn't work in a bulkhead seat because it hangs over the tray that folds down from the seat in front of you. I don't know if it would be better for your situation than the bulkhead seat plan, but I thought I'd point it out in case you didn't know about this kind of item. For what it's worth, I've found it to be really comfortable. I'm short, too, so it's nice to have that footrest there. The height is adjustable. Good luck!!!

We use beach balls, partially inflated.

Hopefully everything works out. I would go with the one closest to home. It really depends on what type of surgery you had. I shattered my ankle breaking both the tibia and fibula into about 5-6 pieces each and travelled only about 4 weeks post injury. It was difficult and being NWB made us have to plan every minor detail in advance.

To those telling OP she shouldn't have provided the backstory, I disagree... the choice of ship could vary greatly based on her ability to be mobile...

Shoifmom- I personally love Tampa to sail from and find it very easy to maneuver... I traveled from there with an elderly friend with some mobility issues and she found it really convenient. (there are elevators instead of escalators if you need to use them and it didn't seem to have the unending walk from lounge to the ship as I recall).

Now to be honest, I've never sailed from Ft Lauderdale so I can't comment on that, and I don't know either ship, but Tampa is nice & close to the airport with lots of transportation options for you.

Hi

I see. Many people seem concerned about your well being and are suggesting that flying is not a good idea. You don't seem to appreciate that at all. We know you are an adult and are going to make your own decision anyway.

Looking at the other responses, even those people are concerned about you flying. Nobody is suggesting taking a longer flight. What more did you want people to say. As you said yourself, you should have known better.

good luck

hope you don't need the insurance

Oh please. People go on planes and vacations with all kinds of impairments. That's why special accommodations exist, mobility devices, etc.

Now OP, I would suggest Tampa for the shorter flight and also the terminal is much smaller so less walking. Miracle is also a smaller ship so there is not as much walking there either. Yes, elevators will probably be annoying but you know about that already. Good luck with your surgery and enjoy your trip :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

how do celebrities, business people and politicians manage with flying restrictions? Seems like there must be a way around it right? I drive whenever I can and most of my business is regional so it's never been a problem for me. But I've had at least 12 cosmetic procedures and know people who have me doubled at least and they are the definition of jet setters. Didn't Cher have like 6 million dollars worth of plastic surgery? How was she getting to gigs?

All that said, I went on a cruise once after a terrible fall on ice a week before departure that let to mobility issues and a few open wounds/large scrapes. That cruise was the cruise from hell and it was nothing to do with the ship(can't remember), service (excellent all the way around), ports (Miami, Bahamas and Grand Cayman I believe) or cruise company (Royal). I was just uncomfortable every time I went to the beach because I was worried about skin care. I also couldn't enjoy swimming or jet skis and was self-conscious (obviously I'm vain) the entire time I had on my bathing suit.

I have been on these boards long enough that I should have known better.

I really don’t want your advice telling me to wait until I will enjoy it more. You honestly don’t know what I enjoy most on a cruise.

I definitely don’t want your medical advice. Barring any complications, I will be released for short flights at that point, I am perfectly capable of managing my own health issues. If I am not released to fly, THAT is what insurance is for.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Do what you feel comfortable with. My mom is 77 yrs old and broke her ankle July 4th..surgery for screws and plates july 11th. We fly to Seattle next week for our Alaskan cruise.

Although many here said the same things to me when I was asking questions (about not going and how bad she would be feeling)...she is doing great, and is not even supposed to be weight bearing yet, but is stepping on that left foot with her boot on for the last week. She has been recovering so well---no issues at all.

The Dr has never had a concern about this cruise (and it will be a 4 hr flight there).

She is ready and waiting for this vacation! We will be bringing her travel wheelchair that she is using since the break.

I hope you have a great time whichever ship you choose!!

Schoifmom hello.

I tell you a story....this past February I had spinal cord surgery and anterior cervical disectomy and fusion, I also was on these. boards asking people what they thought and fortunately most told me what better way to recuperate being on the cruise. I had 7 weeks recovery which is little time since the stem cells put in me need to grow into bone and takes up to a year. I also thought about being through all that and dealing with all the pain I deserve to get away so I went and it was the best thing I did even though I had to wear an electrical brace for 4 hours each day.

This week I was diagnosed with malignant melanoma and I believe it went into my lymph nodes because for the past three months I been very dizzy, feeling nauseas, night sweats, ringing ear, lump in throat etc.....I just took a PET scan yesterday and took another punch biopsy Wednesday as the first biopsy showed it being very deep and they need to grade the cancer....needless to say, I am booked on the Majesty of the Seas to Cuba which I never thought I get to see in my lifetime....even though I may be diagnosed with terminal cancer, I AM GOING!! (for those who will disagree and say some comments don't bother my mind is set, if I am going to have a fight of cancer I am going to enjoy myself before it as the cruise is in 17 days).....with that being said, when I come back I take care of it and I have six weeks to deal with it to my next cruise on October 14th (if I need more time for treatment I will cancel maybe lol).

What I am trying to say to you, its your ankle/foot yes it be a challenge for you but after what you go through you deserve this cruise! You can rent a scooter or wheelchair and if you don't need it then you use whatever medical device the doctor gives you but I say have a scooter rented so it be alot easier on you should you need it. I have been on cruises where I seen others with foot issues and you won't be the only one, in fact, a few years ago our family had a cruise together and one of us had a broken foot and she rented a wheelchair and a special wheelchair for the beach (it had huge wheels) and she was able to enjoy your cruise.

Go and have a great time, what better way of healing than being on a cruise.

I am sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I too am battling cancer. According to doctors, I had a 11% chance of making it a year( I have :D). I have done chemo, and am now taking a break from it due to quality of life. I give you background to say this to you, enjoy the cruise to Cuba. Do what you are able to do while you can and hopefully it will not be as bad as you imagine( the waiting for test results is the hardest). Chemo will make you weak the more you take, I did Disney at the beginning of the year while still doing chemo, and it was extremely hard. So keep that in mind in October, but I think the cruise will be much easier( however sun is not your friend during chemo :( )

Have a great time and keep positive!

I'd stay home and save my vacation for a time I could use it to its full-est.

Define "full-est?" Maybe you have the typical two week off a year that most Americans have.. but I get 6 weeks, and in January will get one more. "Full-est" to me at certain times of the year, and maybe to the OP could be 7 days of laying around doing nothing.

OP - I think if you travel, I would go for Miracle, due to the shorter flight. However, please please talk to your doctor before deciding. You should be okay at 5.5 weeks, but that needs to come from a physician. Enjoy your cruise.

Schoifmom hello.

I tell you a story....this past February I had spinal cord surgery and anterior cervical disectomy and fusion, I also was on these. boards asking people what they thought and fortunately most told me what better way to recuperate being on the cruise. I had 7 weeks recovery which is little time since the stem cells put in me need to grow into bone and takes up to a year. I also thought about being through all that and dealing with all the pain I deserve to get away so I went and it was the best thing I did even though I had to wear an electrical brace for 4 hours each day.

This week I was diagnosed with malignant melanoma and I believe it went into my lymph nodes because for the past three months I been very dizzy, feeling nauseas, night sweats, ringing ear, lump in throat etc.....I just took a PET scan yesterday and took another punch biopsy Wednesday as the first biopsy showed it being very deep and they need to grade the cancer....needless to say, I am booked on the Majesty of the Seas to Cuba which I never thought I get to see in my lifetime....even though I may be diagnosed with terminal cancer, I AM GOING!! (for those who will disagree and say some comments don't bother my mind is set, if I am going to have a fight of cancer I am going to enjoy myself before it as the cruise is in 17 days).....with that being said, when I come back I take care of it and I have six weeks to deal with it to my next cruise on October 14th (if I need more time for treatment I will cancel maybe lol).

What I am trying to say to you, its your ankle/foot yes it be a challenge for you but after what you go through you deserve this cruise! You can rent a scooter or wheelchair and if you don't need it then you use whatever medical device the doctor gives you but I say have a scooter rented so it be alot easier on you should you need it. I have been on cruises where I seen others with foot issues and you won't be the only one, in fact, a few years ago our family had a cruise together and one of us had a broken foot and she rented a wheelchair and a special wheelchair for the beach (it had huge wheels) and she was able to enjoy your cruise.

Go and have a great time, what better way of healing than being on a cruise.

You got that right!!! As a cancer survivor, former Oncology nurse, and current Hospice nurse... I cannot agree with you more. Hang in there.. thoughts are with you for your upcoming fight! You can win!

My mom just had bilateral knee replacement which I stayed with her for a month to help out. She will be 8 weeks out on Tuesday. She has been home bound and is losing her mind. She said to me that she wished we could go on a trip somewhere for a change in venue.

I'd say pick the shortest flight. And if the ship has cabins on Lido deck, maybe get that.

I don’t have an advice on the sailing part but I will say FLL airport was the WORST I’ve ever flown. Check in was a circus, security was so slow (not their fault, just so many people who would not listen to directions and be prepared) and the airport is small but not well laid out.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I travel with a disability all the time because, well...it's permanent. ;) Flying Southwest is great due to early boarding and the bulkhead seating. Be sure to ask for wheelchair assistance at the airport. Then you don't have to stand in line and they bypass the reg security lines. You can request it on your ticket when you purchase. Have your husband stand in line to check in and join him when he is close to the front. Then remind them that you need a wheelchair and they will tell you where to wait for one.

As for the ships, what are the ports? What is there to do that you can manage on crutches or one of those knee scooter things? What difference in staterooms is there? Will the better room you mentioned have more storage space for any equipment you need? I would suggest a balcony to cut down on having to get somewhere else to be outside. My husband will often go get us lunch and bring it back for us to enjoy on our balcony.( Or we get room service.) That has become one of our favorite parts of cruising.