Bringing home non-art auction artwork

erdoran

DH and I want to buy a nice piece of local artwork on our upcoming cruise-on shore, and definitely by a local artist. We are flying so we are luggage-limited (although we will have fewer suitcases than we are allowed).

When you buy artwork ashore, how do you bring it home? Is it often boxed so it can be checked like a suitcase would be? If on canvas, is it safe to roll into a tube? Any other pro tips? thanks

If buying from a gallery or any other art dealer, ask them to pack and ship for you. It will cost more but it will arrive with no trouble and will be insured. Bringing it home yourself if it is small enough isn't a problem, HOWEVER be sure you pack it well and support it in the middle of the suitcase.

When you buy it ask about shipping. It might cost a couple of bucks more, but it may be safer than turning it over to baggage handler's at the airport. Depending on what you purchase, will determine if it can be rolled or not. Not that I am a huge art collector, I do recall reading that original canvas should never be rolled.

My aunt was a painter, no one famous but people did like her work and would buy it from time to time. This was back before the UPS stores existed, my father and I built shipping frames for her painting's. She used to say that canvas should never be rolled, as it can damage the paint. I don't know how true that is, but I figured she knew a lot more about it than I did, besides she was paying me to build them.

DH and I want to buy a nice piece of local artwork on our upcoming cruise-on shore, and definitely by a local artist. We are flying so we are luggage-limited (although we will have fewer suitcases than we are allowed).

When you buy artwork ashore, how do you bring it home? Is it often boxed so it can be checked like a suitcase would be? If on canvas, is it safe to roll into a tube? Any other pro tips? thanks

From your thread title

("Bringing home non-art auction artwork"}

What does "non-art auction artwork" mean?

[emphasis added]

GC

What does "non-art auction artwork" mean?

Probably, from what I have read above, it should read "Non Art-Auction" Artwork. Artwork bought ashore.

I stand corrected. It's along the lines of

Do you want to eat, children

Do you want to eat children!!!!

Usually the artist will ship it to you.