Measles on Alaska Cruise alert

Cruise Junky

According to my doctor the vaccine has about a 10% failure rate. Both my girls were vaccinated. One got the mumps at 4 yo (mild case but confirmed with blood test ) and the other daughter tittered negative to the measles virus when she was tested upon entering nursing school...had to be re vaccinated. The MMR is NOT 100% effective to the viruses.

I agree though....some parents refusing vaccinations and that’s not good.

Do the cruise lines require crew member's to get any type of vaccine's? Since many of them come from places that have substandard medical care, something like this could go through the crew like wildfire, crippling the ship. Exposure to passenger's would multiply exponentially.

Do the cruise lines require crew member's to get any type of vaccine's? Since many of them come from places that have substandard medical care, something like this could go through the crew like wildfire, crippling the ship. Exposure to passenger's would multiply exponentially.

I hope that the crew are required to be vaccinated.

Most public school systems require immunizations.

According to my doctor the vaccine has about a 10% failure rate. Both my girls were vaccinated. One got the mumps at 4 yo (mild case but confirmed with blood test ) and the other daughter tittered negative to the measles virus when she was tested upon entering nursing school...had to be re vaccinated. The MMR is NOT 100% effective to the viruses.

I agree though....some parents refusing vaccinations and that’s not good.

That's why we rely on herd immunity. And why the anti-vaxxers are a public menace and it ceases to be a "personal choice" issue (although most only give lip to the personal choice argument; most actually believe in Dr. Google over actual science; I have a former neighbor who's hardcore anti-vax and I read everything she posts on FB as I'm open to any evidence - haven't seen a legit thing yet for the basic vaccines like Measles).

How quickly we forget. Those of us over a certain age didn't get vaccinated, we get all the bugs instead. If you are an adult, and did not have those childhood illnesses, you need to check with your physician to make sure that you are protected.

Too many crazy anti-vaccine people nowadays.

totally agree. If those parents could remember back what it was like to have measles, mumps, etc maybe they would reconsider. I know, they have their reasons, but I just can't go along with not having your child vaccinated for whatever.

I am guessing the crew are not required to get vaccinated which is too bad, but if parents took the responsibility it would make any difference. Of course service would suffer like crazy if crew members all started coming down with anything.

Edited by newmexicoNita