I'm curious - when do you get to the port and why?

We have evolved on arrival timing and planning as we grow wiser through the years. First cruises were out of nearby city and didn’t have a clue or a care, but it was the grand dame of NCL,,, the Majesty. That ship could be boarded in about 10 minutes from curb to bar seat.

Second to last cruise we had Acela seats from Baltimore to NYC. Of course a storm called a derecho leveled power to the eastern coast. So that became a frantic ride into the big Apple where we somehow found ourselves in every borough. Obviously before Waze.

Last cruise flew in day before and took Uber to port. Was in the front of the wave [emoji305] boarding when the gates open. Had Haven, so lines super short and was the first in for lunch in Margaritaville.

Next time is big Apple next July, will be driving in from Philly and getting to port early.

So early is our preference.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have the drink package ..and was told by out travel agent that drinks while still tied up at departure port.. is not included in my package ... does anyone know if this is true for the Bliss out of NYC ???

Definitely untrue. You may have to pay local sales tax on drinks you have while in port in the US, but you don't have to pay the cost of the drink itself or the gratuity.

I have the drink package ..and was told by out travel agent that drinks while still tied up at departure port.. is not included in my package ... does anyone know if this is true for the Bliss out of NYC ???

Incorrect.

Time to fire that TA. Seriously.

You want someone you can trust to get younaccurate information. If they can get free drinks right, what else in your reservation have they screwed up. You won’t know until you are denied boarding at the port.

I love that the majority of you prefer to get to the ships early! :D

So when I arrive between 12-2 there are no big lines.

My last cruise- it took 7 minutes from entering the Terminal to boarding the ship...around 1pm ish

We like to enjoy the Port City and hotel in the morning.

Breakfast, (sometimes even laundry if we have been on a pre-trip and

then make our way to the port. )

Everyone has their own way! :p

I go with earlier the better because I get so freaking excited I just cant wait!!! We arrived around noon for our last cruise on the Epic and the lines were crazy for security! On our first cruise to Alaska we just took the ferry from where we live (right around Seattle) and got to the terminal around 10 am. We had to wait a little bit but then we got on board and had Mimosas! It was so much fun to see the ship so early in the day before everyone else. For our cruise in January we are flying in the night before and staying at an okay hotel so we will check out around 10am and take the 5 minute uber to the pier. Then I will start drinking!!!

We target 10:30 to arrive at the port (NYC, 4pm sailing times) for these reasons:

* Get a parking spot closer to the elevator

* We are usually already close to NY and ready, nothing to do anywhere else with only a couple hours leeway

* Want to have lunch on the ship, why not get our first included meal on the ship

* Allow extra time in case of a problem. Last time a death investigation on the west side highway had the road closed for an hour. We arrived 11:30. Could easily have been 1:30 and risking getting close to last call to board by then!

I was the one that was wrong.. She did say we had to pay the N.Y. tax while in port.. I was not sure since it a group trip.. Balcony, drink package ,all gratuities, travel insurance ... and the best is a shuttle from my area to NYC and then home.. so sit back and enjoy the ride ..

Incorrect.

Time to fire that TA. Seriously.

You want someone you can trust to get younaccurate information. If they can get free drinks right, what else in your reservation have they screwed up. You won’t know until you are denied boarding at the port.

This year we'll be sailing out of Southampton and will be there 1 night prior. I prefer mid-day check-in. I don't like to rush around and check out of the hotel until check-out time just to be on the ship early. I'm less anxious for the ship this yr, because we only have an obstructed OV and we were on the same ship last yr, so, no having to find our way around the ship. I don't know why, but, until the ship sets sail I don't feel like the cruise has started. I like to be able to get in our cabin right away and get rid of any carry-on luggage. Once the safety drill is over, let the cruise begin!

Don’t care either way if someone boards early or waits until later.

I started going later when I started seeing some in the “early is better” crowd acting like they were in the roller derby elbowing my family to get a porter or weasling in front of us in line. I’m sure no one here does that, though.

But, instead of fighting that behavior, especially to start my vacation, I just show up later.....all stress free.

Don’t care either way if someone boards early or waits until later.

I started going later when I started seeing some in the “early is better” crowd acting like they were in the roller derby elbowing my family to get a porter or weasling in front of us in line. I’m sure no one here does that, though.

But, instead of fighting that behavior, especially to start my vacation, I just show up later.....all stress free.

Weasling/weasels isn't that TTUN!

OH IO

A little off topic but couldn't resist.

I arrived at 10 last time just to sit in what was a glorified airport waiting room with hundreds of other people. This time I got breakfast at a local café, took a taxi to port, arrived at noon, and walked right on. I didn't think thru the "already ate" thing so ended up in the MDR with an appetizer until I could dump my luggage. Then grabbed a lounge chair in the quiet zone and read my book until sail. It was fabulous!

Never hurts to be early, there's always a chance you might be caught in a horde at the terminal as boarding opens. I always end up getting distracted once I get on board before I actually relax, so even if I get to the terminal at 11, by the time I'm sitting down with a drink, its usually 1 PM.

It beats being late though. I was on the X-cape out of Miami for a 4 PM departure. Pretty much everything that could go wrong, could. I was held up because my luggage was delayed out of Canada for over 24 hours. Our transportation took us to the airport instead of seaport by accident, we didn't arrive at the terminal until about 2:50, got on the ship by 3:15. The were pretty much rolling up the gangway on my a$$ (brings the "don't let the door hit you on the way out" expression to a whole new level). It felt like I just stepped on board and the next thing I knew, the muster drill began. I was a shambles and in tears the whole way thinking NCL would cut us off.

So, just for those wondering, if you ARE past the 2 hour cut-off, don't despair, don't panic. You still have a chance at getting on, and there were still people arriving even after us! Early is better though, so if you can make it, why not.

What I _wouldn't_ do, is try to pack any sightseeing or activities on your departure day. Reserve the entire day to prepare getting to the ship, you just never know what might happen.

No matter how hard I try, I can't sleep in. I feel like there's not enough time to enjoy the port - if I want to do that, I come in a day early. And there's no point hanging around in a generic hotel room. So I'm early even though I'm generally very logical and hate waiting and know that after 12 would make more sense. I can't help myself, lol.