I need different options to consider on cancellation

I booked 3 non refundable cabins for next year

1. boardwalk balcony cat 4I for husband and me

2. interior cat 6v for 21 yo and 20 yo

3. interior cat 6v for 23 yo and 16 yo

#3, the 23 yo cannot come now. we have considered different ways of changing things around, but am looking for fresh eyes and expertise.

if we were to move 16 yo to our boardwalk, we would have to change categories to be able to have a sofa bed. to switch this we would lose a lot of obc and would cost more than if we were to keep the 3rd cabin.

as of prices today, if it is even allowed for the 16 yo to stay in his own cabin, with the single occupancy rate it would be cheaper to go ahead and pay the 23 yo ticket and just have him not show.

in the long run as of prices now, it's cheapest to just pay for what we've reserved and just have no show for 23 yo, but how would RC handle a no show, and with a 16 yo left to stay in that cabin?

I will of course keep watching prices, but we did get a lot of obc and pretty good price when we booked.

also, the obc that the 23 yo was given, is that taken away, or given to who's left in the cabin?

if it makes a difference both interior are next to each other, they aren't joined though

thank you for your help

Is cabin #3 near either of the other cabins (to allow adult supervision of the teen who may end up solo in a cabin)? If not, I’d watch for opportunities to move teen cabin close by family.

That issue aside,my next question: is there any other adult you might like to invite who might share with teen? Price would be right if you think of right person.

If not, I’d book one of the adults from boardwalk cabin into the teen’s cabin. Both adult spouses will get double points if accounts are linked, so it may not matter which spouse moves on paper.

we can't think of anyone else to come on the cruise. i didn't even think about c&a points. we've never gotten a balcony before. yes that is a good idea to switch one of us to interior and my son to our room. i didn't realize couples share points, is that correct? i knew kids kept up with their parents points. and about the supervision, the 2 interior are next to each other. my son (16 yo) is next to his sister, and we aren't far away from them either. it worked out perfectly how close we all are actually. and to be honest, i have a feeling, my son will want to sleep in our cabin with us. he gets lonely. he's a bit reserved, not the party animal his mom was back in the day thank goodness;)!

i didn't realize couples share points, is that correct? !

You don't share points but C&A level, so if you do this you will have 7 more points (assuming you booked a week cruise) than your DH, but he will be the same C&A level as you.

Following allow as I may have a similar issue myself on a future cruise, 22 year old and 16 year old in same cabin. The 22 year old may not be able to go. What if the 22 year old is 'no show'? The cruise line would not necessarily know at check-in, he could still be arriving on a later flight, etc..

My thought would be to swap names "on paper" and take either the 20yo or 21yo from the 1st interior cabin and swap with the 23yo of the 2nd interior. This way the 16yo is listed in a cabin with an adult and the one in the interior cabin with the 23yo no show is old enough that it doesn't matter.

(I hope I wrote that all out right and it makes sense...lol)

is there anything to worry about with the keys? if we "switch" rooms? i know muster stations would possibly be different, but would they give us extra keys so i can get in my own room and he in his?

also, does boardwalk balcony get dbl points? isn't it just suites?

I’m glad the cabins are close together and you foresee no supervision issues without the 23 year old. Much easier than if you were spread far apart.

As spouses or significant others, you can link your C&A accounts. As far as I know, DH and I never really had to ask; they linked us. DH took a solo 4 night cruise, earning eight points. That cruise only shows on his history (of course) but we both benefit from the right points. When I log on not my C&A, I see his higher point total displayed as if it were mine. It is nice. If I looked deeper into the account, I can see my own lower total.

I’d keep the teen booked in his current cabin. He is an original cabin occupant, so better that his name should always remain associated with that booking number, especially as you know the other original name (the 23 year old) won’t be going. You never know if it may help later (for example if you do think of another person to bring along; stranger things have happened).

is there anything to worry about with the keys? if we "switch" rooms? i know muster stations would possibly be different, but would they give us extra keys so i can get in my own room and he in his?

No problem getting extra keys. A single cruiser in a cabin rated for two gets double points.

Solos get double points. So whomever gets booked in a room by themselves gets double points.

Not sure there would be room for the 16 yo to sleep in the balcony with all three in there. The couches aren't that big, unless the kid is small.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Solos get double points.

They will give you extra keys at guest services.

ok now i understand the dbl points. what does RC think of teens in their own cabin? it would be easy to just leave it as is, but i dont want to have issues checking in. as far as a no show, do i tell them at the counter he is not coming, or is it just no big deal if he just doesn't show? i have had my three children in their own cabin before, but that was many years ago and i dont remember how we handled it. i'm sure i'm overthinking this, i just don't want our check in or first day to have complications.

Following allow as I may have a similar issue myself on a future cruise, 22 year old and 16 year old in same cabin. The 22 year old may not be able to go. What if the 22 year old is 'no show'? The cruise line would not necessarily know at check-in, he could still be arriving on a later flight, etc..

They won't know or ask and certainly don't offer any information. His booking will just automatically revert to a "no show" and port fees and taxes will be credited back to the credit card used to pay off his portion of the final balance.... Don't worry...this will work out fine...not even your cabin steward will say anything.

Switch into the 6V cabin and put the 16 yr old in the cabin with DH (on paper). Once on the ship, the 16 will have a party in their own room, you join DH in the boardwalk cabin and get double points.

Don't you need to keep at least one person from the original booking in the original cabin - which would prevent moving the 16 year olds booking to one of the other cabins on paper?

You have two options.

1. Have the 23 YO be a no show

2. You swap cabins with the 16 YO. And cancel the 23YO

In the end the only difference is who gets the double points. In option 1 the 16YO gets the double points while in Option 2 you get the double points.

Personally I would go with option 2 which is what Biker suggested in the first post.

ok now i understand the dbl points. what does RC think of teens in their own cabin? it would be easy to just leave it as is, but i dont want to have issues checking in. as far as a no show, do i tell them at the counter he is not coming, or is it just no big deal if he just doesn't show? i have had my three children in their own cabin before, but that was many years ago and i dont remember how we handled it. i'm sure i'm overthinking this, i just don't want our check in or first day to have complications.

I’d be in no hurry to do it, but eventually,(unless you think of another adult to invite along), I would (on the paper bookin) move either you or spouse into the cabin with teen. That makes it clear to all that the teen is supervised (clearly you intend to do so; no reason to let anybody question it). And it leaves one spouse (on paper) solo in the boardwalk cabin (so linked spouses get benefit of solo bonus points). And eliminates any check in questions about absent 23 year old.

I’d be in no hurry to do it, but eventually,(unless you think of another adult to invite along), I would (on the paper bookin) move either you or spouse into the cabin with teen. That makes it clear to all that the teen is supervised (clearly you intend to do so; no reason to let anybody question it). And it leaves one spouse (on paper) solo in the boardwalk cabin (so linked spouses get benefit of solo bonus points). And eliminates any check in questions about absent 23 year old.

^^^^ This is what I'd do ^^^^

Don't you need to keep at least one person from the original booking in the original cabin - which would prevent moving the 16 year olds booking to one of the other cabins on paper?

The no-show would be one of the original persons on the booking.

If you’re not expecting to get any money back, I’d leave it as is in case something changes and he can come, because once you take him off that reservation, it may be impossible to get him back on. What about one of the kids bringing a friend? Is that an option?

If you’re not expecting to get any money back, I’d leave it as is in case something changes and he can come, because once you take him off that reservation, it may be impossible to get him back on. What about one of the kids bringing a friend? Is that an option?

Yes, we were thinking theres a slim chance of him coming. We thought of having my 16 yr old asking a friend to come, but we're taking him out of school and i dont think anyone would want to do that, then the uncomfortable conversation of 'hey we invite your kid to the caribbean if you can pay for flight and other expenses.' I wouldnt even know where to begin!

If we stay with a no show, we wouldnt be charged for gratuities for him would we?

I want to tell every one thank you so much for your thoughts and help! I am kinda heart broken he probably cant come. Its hit me kinda hard and I'm trying not to be so sad about it.

Yes, we were thinking theres a slim chance of him coming. We thought of having my 16 yr old asking a friend to come, but we're taking him out of school and i dont think anyone would want to do that, then the uncomfortable conversation of 'hey we invite your kid to the caribbean if you can pay for flight and other expenses.' I wouldnt even know where to begin!

We've actually done this; but we let the kid lead it. As in, let your 16 yo that you are open to a friend coming, but they'll need to pick a friend who can pay his own way for the rest of it. We've found that many parents are open to this. A half price vacation for the kid and a week of freedom for them - win/win :-)

If we stay with a no show, we wouldnt be charged for gratuities for him would we?

I want to tell every one thank you so much for your thoughts and help! I am kinda heart broken he probably cant come. Its hit me kinda hard and I'm trying not to be so sad about it.

He would not be charged gratuities if he were a no show.