Tips for Azamara Newbies

Grandma Cruising

On 12/15/2022 at 10:54 PM, andrcan said:

Escargot is finally available on Onward tonight. Iwan is arguably the most visible and available of all officers on board; he really takes care of all food related issues, which are quite a few. There was no cottage cheese available for a day or two; mentioned that to Iwan at lunch time; by dinner time, he got back to me with the news that the problem was solved.

Cottage cheese available at Windows breakfast on Onward now.  Also some interesting "destination" items at breakfast:  pineapple-coconut fritters today, polenta pancakes a few days ago, others.

Haven't seen kadota figs at breakfast.

Edited by marinaro44
  • Like 3

I am considering a cruise on AZ Pursuit in April.  First timer…I perused this board and didn’t see mention of a few things so I’ll ask if you don’t mind…

1. Do the cabins have USB ports for charing phones and tablets so to free up an outlet?

2. Are visitors allowed on board in ports?  I’ll be visiting two ports that have family and was interested in having them come to the ship for lunch or just to visit.

3. Do you find that cabin category impacts ability to get reservations in specialty restaurants or a nice table in the dining room?

Thank you in advance.

I can only speak for veranda cabins but assume based upon photos that usb ports exist in all cabins. At the bottom of the wall sconces on both sides of the bed there are usb ports. 

your question #2 I can’t answer

. I chose a 2 pm boarding and 1st thing I did was make dinner reservations with no issue. 

3 minutes ago, luv2travel90266 said:

I can only speak for veranda cabins but assume based upon photos that usb ports exist in all cabins. At the bottom of the wall sconces on both sides of the bed there are usb ports. 

your question #2 I can’t answer

. I chose a 2 pm boarding and 1st thing I did was make dinner reservations with no issue. 

Thank you for your reply.

4 minutes ago, luv2travel90266 said:

I chose a 2 pm boarding and 1st thing I did was make dinner reservations with no issue. 

There is a table right outside the buffet restaurant that takes reservations for the specialty restaurants. It’s a good idea to make them after you board, but not always necessary. If you are in a suite, the specialty restaurants are free of charge 

33 minutes ago, Mackdogmolly said:

There is a table right outside the buffet restaurant that takes reservations for the specialty restaurants. It’s a good idea to make them after you board, but not always necessary. If you are in a suite, the specialty restaurants are free of charge 

Thank you.  I was thinking more in terms of main dining room seating, e.g. a window table for 2 if you are in a basic cabin vs. more expensive cabin.  Was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this…

No reservations in the main dining room. You are seated as you arrive. I assume if you have a special request for a specific table or waiter they would accommodate you. We had no issues with being seated as we arrived. I did enjoy on other cruise lines having the same table and waiter but the service has only been excellent from the entire crew.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Worldtraveler22 said:

I am considering a cruise on AZ Pursuit in April.  First timer…I perused this board and didn’t see mention of a few things so I’ll ask if you don’t mind…

1. Do the cabins have USB ports for charing phones and tablets so to free up an outlet?

2. Are visitors allowed on board in ports?  I’ll be visiting two ports that have family and was interested in having them come to the ship for lunch or just to visit.

3. Do you find that cabin category impacts ability to get reservations in specialty restaurants or a nice table in the dining room?

Thank you in advance.

Good questions!

Re 1 - yes there are USB ports under the bedside light units on each side of the bed

R3 2 - you used to be able to do so, subject to prior arrangements and agreements with the port authorities but since covid I have not seen that happening.  It may well be something that will return and if you book you can ask head office before sailing or leave it until you board - but be prepared for a no or a maybe

Re 3 - in my experience no, it is a first come first served model for speciality reservations.  Sometimes butlers lead you to believe they have access to other slots but that is not the case.  In the dining room again you are offered the best seat that is available when you turn up to dine, your cabin, loyalty status or any other reason other than disability access has no impact.  Certainly we know on Onward last cruise, people we became friendly with asked for the same waiter and table every night - they dined at a non peak time - and were advised that request could not be guaranteed - I think they had about a 75% success rate

Edited by uktog

13 minutes ago, Worldtraveler22 said:

Thank you.  I was thinking more in terms of main dining room seating, e.g. a window table for 2 if you are in a basic cabin vs. more expensive cabin.  Was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this…

No, your cabin category makes no difference in Windows.  First come, first serve.  You can ask for a particular table or section, which will most like be given if it is free. Windows also has a lot of two-tops, but many are very close to the next table.

Regarding bringing visitors aboard, I thought that was discontinued decades ago as security increased?  On every cruise line.  I doubt very much Azamara allows it.

Edited by Port Power
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Port Power said:

No, your cabin category makes no difference in Windows.  First come, first serve.  You can ask for a particular table or section, which will most like be given if it is free. Windows also has a lot of two-tops, but many are very close to the next table.

Regarding bringing visitors aboard, I thought that was discontinued decades ago as security increased?  On every cruise line.  I doubt very much Azamara allows it.

They did up to covid (2020)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Port Power said:

Crystal Cruises allow(ed) this up until they stopped sailing.  There was a fee.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Worldtraveler22 said:

Thank you in advance.

We have had guests on board, by specific pre-arrangement, prior to embarkation.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mackdogmolly said:

Actually the table is inside 'Windows', port side, adjacent the entrance.

In two days we'll be debarking in Miami. It's our first Azamara cruise and we received three small bottles of spirits - run, gin, and vodka, plus a bottle of bubbly. We haven't opened them. Are we free to take these home? Can we give them to the crew (we've done that on another cruise line?)

Thanks,

Kevin

4 minutes ago, kml246 said:

In two days we'll be debarking in Miami. It's our first Azamara cruise and we received three small bottles of spirits - run, gin, and vodka, plus a bottle of bubbly. We haven't opened them. Are we free to take these home? Can we give them to the crew (we've done that on another cruise line?)

Thanks,

Kevin

You can ask your butler/room steward to change these if one or more is not to your liking. We always go for three bottles of the Bombay Sapphire gin.

• Thanks 1

Photographer:  there is one photographer on board who takes pictures of events and selected shore excursions.  You can make a reservation to have portraits taken (no charge for the session).  There is a photo studio that is open regular hours and photos are displayed in the hallway.  You can buy a thumb drive of all photos that you are in plus a large selection of shore excursion photos (price in 2022 was $84.99).  What Azamara doesn't have: obtrusive photographers dressed in silly costumes or interrupting your dinner!

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Photographer:  there is one photographer on board who takes pictures of events and selected shore excursions.  You can make a reservation to have portraits taken (no charge for the session).  There is a photo studio that is open regular hours and photos are displayed in the hallway.  You can buy a thumb drive of all photos that you are in plus a large selection of shore excursion photos (price in 2022 was $84.99).  What Azamara doesn't have: obtrusive photographers dressed in silly costumes or interrupting your dinner!

On a transatlantic cruise we did, the photographer also ran a class on photography for iPhones. It was extremely useful! She also ran a photo competition to show what we had learned, which was a lot of fun.

• Like 1

Just now, Port Power said:

On a transatlantic cruise we did, the photographer also ran a class on photography for iPhones. It was extremely useful! She also ran a photo competition to show what we had learned, which was a lot of fun.

Had that class on one of my cruises too!

1 hour ago, kml246 said:

Thanks,

Kevin

You cannot give them to crew they are not allowed to accept it

• Like 1