When Shopping For a Cruise How Much Does the Age of The Ship Factor in Your Choice?

need2cruisesoon

The age of the ship doesn't matter at all.

I shop for itinerary, then ship size (smaller is better), then price. The ship is never my destination. It's a comfy floating hotel that takes me to places I want to see. As long as the ship is clean, the beds are comfortable, and the food is good I'm happy.

An interesting question! It's not something I have ever really thought about, but now that I am.... I suppose it depends what sort of a trip I want, and who I am with. For example, if I was with friends I would be looking for somewhere with a good party atmosphere with whistles and bells - if I was with my husband its likely the itinerary would be most important.

On an itinerary heavy trip such as Europe or the fjords, I think the older ship would be just fine. Older (smaller) ships can get to places that the bigger ones cant as well

Plus a town can be a bit swamped when the Oasis is in town!

Has to be clean though! - that goes without saying!

One of my best cruises was on this ship -

"The Lewis R. French was launched in 1871 in Christmas Cove[4] in the town of South Bristol, Maine. She is 101 ft long, has 64.7 feet (19.7 m) of deck, a 18.8-foot (5.7 m) beam, and draws 7 feet (2.1 m) with a full keel. Sail is her only means of power. Her frame is of double-sawn oak and her planking is white pine. Fastenings were originally treenails, but were replaced during restoration by spiking.[5]

She is 147 years old. I regard most of the new oversized behemoth ships as monstrosities w absolutely no charm.

DON

I've never looked at the ship's age before booking -- unless it's one of the newer, bigger ones which I then avoid. Too many people & way too much walking.

I look at itinerary, cost (BIG factor since I'm solo), & cruise line.

One of my best cruises was on this ship -

"The Lewis R. French was launched in 1871 in Christmas Cove[4] in the town of South Bristol, Maine. She is 101 ft long, has 64.7 feet (19.7 m) of deck, a 18.8-foot (5.7 m) beam, and draws 7 feet (2.1 m) with a full keel. Sail is her only means of power. Her frame is of double-sawn oak and her planking is white pine. Fastenings were originally treenails, but were replaced during restoration by spiking.[5]

She is 147 years old.

Sounds like a beaut!

I regard most of the new oversized behemoth ships as monstrosities w absolutely no charm.

DON

We figure they'd have to pay US to go on one of those leviathans, and even then we'd likely decline the offer.

Sounds like a beaut!

We figure they'd have to pay US to go on one of those leviathans, and even then we'd likely decline the offer.

Maine windjammer cruises are a really special type of cruise. No amenities. Really tiny cabins. Shared heads. But still wonderful.

DON

Maine windjammer cruises are a really special type of cruise. No amenities. Really tiny cabins. Shared heads. But still wonderful.

DON

Visited the web site.....looks great! Reminded me of, around 20+ years ago in California, going with some older friends, (both since passed), to a wharf where a similar boat was moored. The owners, whom they knew, (the guy answered to 'Sugar'), used it as a training school, and we had the whole tour......huge stove on gimbals, etc, etc, - no winches, everything done by muscle power.

I prefer newer ships and have recently cruised several on CCL and NCL. We'll be sailing the MSC Seaside in a few weeks to see how that new build experience will be.

I stopped sailing some of the older ships like Carnival's Fantasy Class a dozen years ago because I thought those ships were old and outdated then. I can't imagine even accepting a free offer to cruise on something so decrepit. JMO, YMMV.

Your version of "decrepit" would be my version of "classy"

The age does factor in to our decision. So does the cruise line. Some cruise lines appear to have better maintenance than other cruise lines that have cut back.

Plus, we read the review and look for a pattern of issues on the ship or on the cruise line. We have cruised on a few older ships without issue. But we picked the ship carefully. We tend to care more about the ship than we do about the cruise line notwithstanding how old the ship is.

There are two cruise lines on which we would not consider buying a cruise on one of their older ships. No need to either since there are so many great cruise lines and great ships out there. Our perspective is why take a chance when we really do not have to.

Our main concern is in cabin HVAC and plumbing. Frayed carpets and soft goods in public areas do not bother us as much

Even on the great cruises we have had on older ships we have found them to be not a well laid out and they felt more crowded. Not as open, fewer elevators or elevators directly in front of public areas like MDR's where people congregate.

The other issue we have with older ships is that they tend to be smaller with fewer alternative dining options etc. We like choice.

We were on a couple of early 50's builds. If you were on any deck below the promenade deck, and you were at either end and wanted to go to the opposite end, you had to go back up to the promenade deck to the area you wanted and go back down. Remember the smells....diesel fuel and old socks