Pride of America skips Big Island calls as Lane moves in

BirdTravels

I wish NCL would give us some direction or status. We are sitting here in NC wondering if we should get on the plane friday.. I would like a credit and reschedule at a future date.

Monitor your flights. Right now, the tropical force and hurricane force winds are scheduled to hit Honolulu on Friday starting mid-day and into the evening. Flying in tomorrow (Thursday) would be better. Schools on Oahu were already closed today (Wednesday) in advance of the storm.

Monitor your flights. Right now, the tropical force and hurricane force winds are scheduled to hit Honolulu on Friday starting mid-day and into the evening. Flying in tomorrow (Thursday) would be better. Schools on Oahu were already closed today (Wednesday) in advance of the storm.

yep,, thats what I am doing. So far, my friday flight from phonix to Honolulu has not been cancelled. thx Bird.

ps, very disappointed with the silence from NCL. Everyone is just left to speculate. Just confirms my opinion of them.

Edited by kunah

That certainly is stressthat NCL isn't giving information/ updates or advice. However, they probably don't know, at this point.... what to say. So much is unclear, as to which direction LANE will really go, and how soon, and at what strength. Local TV stations tonight showed many many MANY folks at the airport TRYING TO GET OUT OF HAWAII.

I'm not sure I'd be sooooo anxious to get here......to a possibly disaster area.

POA left Nawiliwili for sea. Her published plan is to arrive in Honolulu on Saturday, on schedule (also shown that way on the harbor schedule). As with East Coast hurricanes, it is incumbent on passengers to get to the departure port on time.

312f86cedec864568d67cbc25eb97913.png

5175799fc3f812336af1c16891710335.png

97de3e69efd77e2f2e957f9cb9cea8a5.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by BirdTravels

It will be interesting to hear from folks on board during this.

Had a friend on this ship years ago, and they got hit with some noro and had to stay quarantined an extra couple of days before coming into port. He said it got a little rough on board because they really aren't stocked for that many extra sea days. This time I'm assuming they stocked up on Kauai before heading out to sea.

Good news this morning is the forecast path is still offshore, and even better a curve is developing that could spare Kauai from much impact. Bad news is the approach to Maui, Molokai and Oahu is pretty close, with a good chance of hurricane force winds reaching the south shores. I think it is highly unlikely based on this graphic that Pride of America can be in port Saturday, and I would expect a day's delay. And I would expect a lot of canceled flights into Oahu Friday and Saturday. Note in this graphic you can see where there are hurricane force winds and tropical storm strength winds.

EP142018_3day_cone_with_line_and_wind_35A.png

If you're on land, make sure to keep monitoring news even if it seems to have turned away. That's exactly what Iniki did in 1992 while our daughter was honeymooning on Kauai's south point. Iniki was headed west, well south of Kauai, when it made an abrupt right turn during the night and headed straight for the island. Our honeymooners headed for the airport at 5:00am, and raced to get on what they were told was the last flight off the island, leaving their rental car and luggage sitting in front of the airport. They spent some time in an underground bunker in Oahu, and 3 days later finally made it home to Denver. They got home and found their luggage sitting on their front porch - never did figure out how that happened!

Sorry...got sidetracked by my story. The point is, stay safe by keeping in constant touch with reliable news, as conditions can change very rapidly.

yep,, thats what I am doing. So far, my friday flight from phonix to Honolulu has not been cancelled. thx Bird.

ps, very disappointed with the silence from NCL. Everyone is just left to speculate. Just confirms my opinion of them.

NCL is silent because they don't know anything. All they could tell you today is that the cruise you are scheduled for plans to keep it's schedule as of now. When they know anything different they will let everyone know. I realize that flying to HI is a lot different than going to FL for a cruise, but until the storm does what it is going to do you just have to wait.

Out in the middle of the Pacific there is not a lot of land to impact the way the storm is going to go.

POA - Hurricane Lane Weather Update

Pride of America - Hurricane Lane Update - August 23, 2018 at 9:30 PM ET (1:30 AM UTC)

Due to Hurricane Lane in the Pacific, we have modified the itinerary for Pride of America. The ship is currently out at sea, away from the storm. Pride of America is expected to return to Honolulu on Sunday, August 26th. The previously scheduled August 25th sailing will be delayed until Monday, August 27th. Embarkation will be available on both Sunday, August 26th and Monday, August 27th. Guests are encouraged to monitor NCL.com for further updates.

Interesting that they’re going 250 miles out. We were on the July 28 cruise and the crew was telling us all about the difference between POA and non-US flagged cruise ships, the main point being that the POA never hits international waters and mostly stays around 6 miles off shore.

Interesting that they’re going 250 miles out. We were on the July 28 cruise and the crew was telling us all about the difference between POA and non-US flagged cruise ships, the main point being that the POA never hits international waters and mostly stays around 6 miles off shore.

US territorial waters extend 12 nautical miles. POA does not call on any international ports. POA does transit outside US territorial waters with distances between islands being 75-100 miles.

Does anyone know how the revised itinerary will affect future departures? We’re scheduled for a 9/8 departure. Wondering if this pushes all future cruises out 2 days

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Highly doubtful they touch any others other than making this coming up trip a Mon-Sat trip with optional boarding on Sunday as of now.

They are trying to get away from the storm.

They'll go out however far they need to, to avoid the worst effects of the storm. It has absolutely nothing to do with how the ship is flagged. A U.S. flagged ship is just as able to sail into international waters as a ship registered anywhere else.

POA stays in U.S. waters on its normal itinerary because there's no reason for it to leave U.S. waters for the itinerary. It is U.S. flagged so that it does not have to stop at a foreign (non U.S.) port during the itinerary. The U.S. registration is the only reason it can stay in the Hawaiian islands the whole time. If it were not U.S. registered, it would have to sail to a foreign port such as one in Canada, Mexico, or other South Pacific countries during the cruise, just as you'll see other cruise lines doing on their Hawaiian offerings with foreign registered ships.

This morning the storm is weaker but the track is still very close to the islands, and it is moving slowly. Seeing the results of so much rain and wind from Hawaii and it's not good. Thanks to everyone reporting what seemed obvious - a change in schedule for Pride. The storm will be parked off Honolulu Saturday morning!

Hoping it continues on predicted path to keep hurricane force winds off shore. Here's the forecast.

EP142018_3day_cone_with_line_and_wind_39A.png

The islands sure have taken a beaten this year. we just missed the worse of the flooding when we went at the end of April/early May. Kauai was still cleaning up after the flooding and it was still rainy. We just missed the eruption of the volcano by a day or two as well. I sure hope everyone stays safe. Our area just had some flooding recently.It sure leaves a lot of destruction.