Dress Codes

Sniff64

Hello all,

My husband and I have been interested in a cruise (probably to Alaska) for quite some time. The thing that has always stopped us is that the dress codes on ships that we've seen discussed on these boards are a lot more formal than we like to be on our vacations. Are there any cruise lines where we would be comfortable in nice jeans and shirts - and would be allowed to eat in the restaurants? I'm almost afraid to ask this as I've read a number of threads where people seem to be angry that not everyone likes to dress up on their vacations.

Thanks!

Alaskan itineraries are more casual than other itineraries. Or at least it felt that way to us. We do not mind dressing up, but with having to pack so many layers of clothing because the weather can fluctuate, we kept it simple. My tux wearing husband only brought a long sleeve button down and a tie for chic nights.

We went to Alaska on Celebrity. Jeans and a shirt should be fine, except for 2 nights. Those two nights are Chic Nights, not really formal but they like you to dress a little better those nights. Make sure the jeans do not have any rips/tears. ANd no sleeveless tops for men. If you can swing a collared shirt for a couple of the nights you should be ok. I, who normally wears dresses, brought pants for the Alaskan journey for several of the nights and I was dressed fine for the evening.

Like you said, dress codes are a hot topic for some people, but I say as long as you are within their guidelines you should be fine.

NCL is another option where you can get by with more casual clothes, especially in Alaska. The have a Dress Up or Not Night only 1 time in 7 days.

Hello all,

My husband and I have been interested in a cruise (probably to Alaska) for quite some time. The thing that has always stopped us is that the dress codes on ships that we've seen discussed on these boards are a lot more formal than we like to be on our vacations. Are there any cruise lines where we would be comfortable in nice jeans and shirts - and would be allowed to eat in the restaurants? I'm almost afraid to ask this as I've read a number of threads where people seem to be angry that not everyone likes to dress up on their vacations.

Thanks!

Royal Caribbean and Celebrity.

Welcome to cruise critic. On most of the main cruiselines the dress code is a suggestion for the evening, not a definite rule. Cruises have become more casual over the years. You can wear jeans in the MDR on most lines. It's pretty much your choice - if you are on a cruise that has a formal night you will see some people in dressier clothes, but ordinarily you would not be denied service. Buffets are much more casual.

Would suggest looking on the board for the specific cruiseline you are thinking of cruising as the "rules" "suggestions" are specific to the cruise you looking at.

Alaskan itineraries are more casual than other itineraries. Or at least it felt that way to us. We do not mind dressing up, but with having to pack so many layers of clothing because the weather can fluctuate, we kept it simple. My tux wearing husband only brought a long sleeve button down and a tie for chic nights.

We went to Alaska on Celebrity. Jeans and a shirt should be fine, except for 2 nights. Those two nights are Chic Nights, not really formal but they like you to dress a little better those nights. Make sure the jeans do not have any rips/tears. ANd no sleeveless tops for men. If you can swing a collared shirt for a couple of the nights you should be ok. I, who normally wears dresses, brought pants for the Alaskan journey for several of the nights and I was dressed fine for the evening.

Like you said, dress codes are a hot topic for some people, but I say as long as you are within their guidelines you should be fine.

NCL is another option where you can get by with more casual clothes, especially in Alaska. The have a Dress Up or Not Night only 1 time in 7 days.

Jeans and shirts are acceptable any night on Celebrity. The only major restriction they now have is no shorts in the dining rooms. The dress codes only apply to the dining rooms.

This should not prevent you from cruising.

Do not worry about formal attire. We have not bothered with it for quite a few years.We only pack casual clothing. We simply skip formal nights in the MDR. Our experience is that although touted as special, there is hardly anything special about them these days. We simply eat in an alternate dining venue or the buffet.

Besides, many of the mass market cruise lines have relaxed their suggested dress code to meet customer demand/preferences.

Jeans and shirts are acceptable any night on Celebrity. The only major restriction they now have is no shorts in the dining rooms. The dress codes only apply to the dining rooms.

Thanks for confirming. I wasn't sure about Chic Nights so that is why I mentioned a collared shirt. I like that you can go casually as well as dressier. We were in Blu last time so we didn't get to see the MDR attire except for sea day lunches and they are more relaxed during the day in terms of their dress code.

The funny thing is, I keep having to remind my husband about no sleeveless shirts for breakfast in the MDR. He sometimes forgets so now I just remind him he won't be seated for his breakfast if he wears such a shirt.

Hello all,

Are there any cruise lines where we would be comfortable in nice jeans and shirts - and would be allowed to eat in the restaurants?

You'd be fine on Carnival except for the formal night(s) - on those nights you could dress up just for dinner or go to Lido or do Room Service.

Here's more on the Carnival dress code...

[YOUTUBE]tWjQ7YsRlW0[/YOUTUBE]

...I've read a number of threads where people seem to be angry that not everyone likes to dress up on their vacations.

Thanks!

And you better get with the program around here!

Pro tip: Lose the lanyard, don't decorate your cabin door, and get that post count up if you expect to be taken seriously.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Unless you are on Cunard, jeans and a collared shirt will be not cause you to be denied access to the MDR on any night. The cruise line "dress codes" are merely suggestions published to satisfy the dwindling minority of people who want to play dress up.