Inside cabin survival tips?

Iggipolka

I’m cruising solo soon & for the first time I’m staying in an inside cabin with a twin sized bed. Well, semi-inside as it has two porthole windows so I’ll have a little natural light. It’s at the bow of the ship, so I’m preparing for lots of anchor noises.

Any tips for making an inside cabin as comfortable as possible? I spend most of my time sitting in the sun on deck, so I don’t think it will be toooo bad. It’s just a place to sleep, right?

Sigh.

I’m cruising solo soon & for the first time I’m staying in an inside cabin with a twin sized bed. Well, semi-inside as it has two porthole windows so I’ll have a little natural light. It’s at the bow of the ship, so I’m preparing for lots of anchor noises.

Any tips for making an inside cabin as comfortable as possible? I spend most of my time sitting in the sun on deck, so I don’t think it will be toooo bad. It’s just a place to sleep, right?

Sigh.

I had one of those rooms once, and after the first time you hear the anchor in the early morning, it's not really bad.

We love inside cabins! They are a real bargain, when you only are in your cabin to shower, dress, and sleep. We spend all our time up on deck. We found that it was a waste of money to keep booking ocean view and balcony cabins, as we spent so little time in there.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Stayed in an inside room once on an old NCL ship. Leave the bathroom light on is good idea. 2 things I brought that helped:

1. a small flashlight.

2. an alarm clock.

I hated missing events. We didn't have portholes.

Karen

I am doing my first solo on September 10, also in an inside. No portholes for me though!

I have seen folks suggest leaving your tv on to the bow camera overnight, so that as the sun comes up the light increases in the cabin too. I am going to try it that first night and see how it works.

Also bringing some battery operated tea lights for the bathroom in case I get up in the middle of the night.

Not too worried as I am only typically in the cabin to sleep and shower.

Sigh.

You may book again, you save $$$ and like you said you don't spend much time in the room.

Sigh.

With the porthole windows it won't feel as much like an inside cabin. You'll feel more like you have an oceanview room.

If it's a Conquest Class ship, it will be laid out like an OV or Balcony with the exception of the 1 twin bed instead of 2. My mom has stayed in these rooms before and liked it. Plenty of light and bigger than a standard inside with a sofa.

I’m sailing on the Vista. Not sure what class that is.

Good to know the portholes provide a good amount of light.

So true!

This solo girl will take an inside cabin over sharing a cabin in a higher category every time!

Absolutely!! I couldn’t agree more. I’m traveling solo for some Me Time & would rather have an inside, then the stress of sharing a higher catagory with someone other than my family.

Also bringing some battery operated tea lights for the bathroom in case I get up in the middle of the night.

No need. You can leave the bathroom light on all night and either totally close the door, which will result in a little light shining through at the bottom of the door onto the adjacent carpet. Or you can leave the door slightly ajar to let more of the light into the room.

We often take inside cabins and have never found we need to do anything to make them more tolerable.I probably spend more time than most in my cabin as I need to take frequent rests but, even so, have not had any problems. A true inside is nice and dark, so sleeping is easier - even during the day - although your portholes will let in some light.

Just a word of warning - for our very first cruise, I insisted on some natural light as I was afraid I might feel claustrophobic in an inside. We couldn't afford much, so were on a lower deck with portholes, rather than windows. Due to rough seas, the porthole covers were locked in place for about half of the days we were on board! I decided that I would take an inside in future, rather than paying for daylight that we might not got :)

Hopefully, you will love your snug cabin, the seas will be calm and portholes remain uncovered.

Unless you are at a tender port, you will not hear anchor noises when docking, since anchors are only deployed in open waters. At a pier, the ship will use side thrusters and your cabin may shake a little and be noisy when those are deployed. You will hear the hawser tie lines being released and retrieved. When sailing, any waves hitting the ship broadside will probably be felt, especially if seas are heavy.

I had a few forward porthole cabins early in my cruise history and haven't gone back to one since. JMO, I prefer a more mid ship or aft cabin.

When sailing' date=' any waves hitting the ship broadside will probably be felt, especially if seas are heavy.

I had a few forward porthole cabins early in my cruise history and haven't gone back to one since. JMO, I prefer a more mid ship or aft cabin.[/quote']

Thank you. I prefer midship as well, but this was what was available. I’m a bit concerned about sea sickness. I take Bonine on every cruise, hope it works this time!

Port hole has just as much light a a typical ocean view room. Just be prepared for the rocking and rolling of the ship IF the seas get rough. We have had our first and last port hole in December due to rough seas. We had 15ft swells and 50mph head winds. We would feel the boat come up and slam down. It felt like our body had to catch up with the bed each time that it went back down.