Princess Book Club On Board

Montana

First time on Princess and notice they have a sort of book club with specific books for certain months. Can anyone tell me how popular this activity is on Princess Ships. It seems like a great idea for those of us who love to read.

Looking back at the Patters of my two Alaska cruises: on Island Princess there was 'sign up for book club' at 12 noon the second day, and 'book club review and discussion' 4 PM the last day. On Golden Princess ten days later, no listings at all.

My wife has participated twice. On a 28 day cruise they went through 2 books. The first one had good attendance at the meetings and a fair number of people read the book. The second book was deemed "too heavy" and "not a cruise book" by the majority of the people. My wife enjoyed the book but agreed it was likely "a bit much" for the average reader. On a recent 14 day cruise a number of people showed up for the initial meeting but, when she went to attend the meeting at the end of the cruise only one other person showed up. Not even the coordinator showed up. Weird. Your experience will depend on the book, the people who are interested, and the coordinator. The one on the 28 day cruise was great. The one on the 14 day cruise left much to be desired.

We were on Pacific Princess in May. The book selected was one of the ones that is showing for July & August! We both read the book. The discussion was set to be discussed on the last day when the Passenger Harmony Choir was due to give their concert. Couldn't do two things at the same time. Too bad it happened that way.

We'll be on 19-day Island next month and I will guess that discussion will be on the last sea day. Pacific Princess in November/December (29 days) just might have two discussions (I hope). Depends on all those sea days.

Jim

First time on Princess and notice they have a sort of book club with specific books for certain months. Can anyone tell me how popular this activity is on Princess Ships. It seems like a great idea for those of us who love to read.

I have found the so called book club rather lame. Yes, they do have books which they will distribute at the initial meeting. At the post book meeting, the girl in charge was just physically there. She said she had not read the book and that we should just discuss. I love books but will not participate in the future.

I just looked at the books listed for the club and several of them are books that my book club here in San Diego will be reading this year. The 2 for December, when I'll be sailing, are the only ones I have not heard of before this.

I would think that sea days would be a great time to talk about books but it seems that it is not high on the list of preferred activities.

Often the books listed on the website for the two month period are not the books that are available on the ships. They do get multiple copies of books for the book club but if you read the book(s) in advance, as I do, you might find out that a totally different book will be discussed. On my last cruise (10 nights to Alaska) I was the only person who showed up at the first meeting. The book the staff had was different than what was listed. They posted the discussion meeting later in the cruise but it wasn't held. I spoke to the CD staff member afterwards and she said that was the first time only one person showed an interest in the book club.

On another recent cruise the book discussed was one listed. The staff member had not read the book but did come prepared with lots of questions and did a really good job leading the discussion. The was quite unexpected as the earlier cruises with book club meetings I've attended the staff member is there to greet people and then leaves to have the guests run the discussion.

I keep trying though. Love reading and discussing books.

Jackie

I have participated in several on ship Book Clubs some better than others. The ship staff have little interest and only really hand out the books and its up to the readers to organise the discussion. The best book Club was organised through the roll call, a member asked who would like to be a part of the group and interested people opted in. The organiser chose a couple of books - nothing to heavy and with a connection to where we were cruising we then met at our convenience. Thoroughly enjoyable - it was on a long cruise, not too easy on short cruises.

I have participated in several on ship Book Clubs some better than others. The ship staff have little interest and only really hand out the books and its up to the readers to organise the discussion. The best book Club was organised through the roll call, a member asked who would like to be a part of the group and interested people opted in. The organiser chose a couple of books - nothing to heavy and with a connection to where we were cruising we then met at our convenience. Thoroughly enjoyable - it was on a long cruise, not too easy on short cruises.

That's a good idea.:D