If someone gets caught sneaking Booze

traveler2100

breaking the rules costs others because they build the prices with people that smuggle in mind so it hurts the honest people.

I realize the smugglers will all say that's nonsense but if someone doesn't believe that businesses take these things into account when they determine prices, they are very naive

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Why unfortunately?
When you have to "sneak" to do something, it implies that it's against the rules. There is an alcohol package available for purchase, as well as the ability to buy alcohol from the Fun Shop for the room. You can pay per drink on board. You may also bring on wine and champagne for a corkage fee. Why would one choose to "sneak" when there are options available?
  • Like 1

While unlikely for most offenders, the downside?

"Any Guest who refuses any such search or screening, or any Guest traveling with such items, may be denied boarding or disembarked and no refund of the cruise fare will be issued. The Guest will be solely responsible for any and all damage and/or loss caused by his violation of this policy."

Read your ticket contract.

Why would one choose to "sneak" when there are options available?

There are 2 large reasons people attempt to smuggle booze on board.

1) Cost. Cheers can be expensive if one adult in the cabin does not drink alcohol; without a Cheers package, individual drinks will take their toll on expenses; Bottles in Bon Voyage are marked up at rather exorbitant rates.

2) Preferred Brand of Booze not carried by Carnival. Tastes differ. Especially true for Whiskey lovers. After the 2nd drink, most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference between brands on any mixed drink or cocktail, but some claim to be able to do so. For example, the actual difference between blanco tequila brands is called "marketing". Similarly with similar grain based vodka.

We made friends with a couple who had smuggled liquor onto the Triumph a couple years ago. They were caught mixing their own drinks on the lido deck. The crew then searched their cabin and confiscated their booze and found some other things like pot and cocaine. They didn't get in any legal trouble, however, they had their sail and sign cards taken away for the remainder of the cruise, so that they couldn't purchase anything even if they wanted to. They didn't seem to mind anyway, since they had a bunch of their friends buying drinks for them that night.

We made friends with a couple who had smuggled liquor onto the Triumph a couple years ago. They were caught mixing their own drinks on the lido deck. The crew then searched their cabin and confiscated their booze and found some other things like pot and cocaine. They didn't get in any legal trouble, however, they had their sail and sign cards taken away for the remainder of the cruise, so that they couldn't purchase anything even if they wanted to. They didn't seem to mind anyway, since they had a bunch of their friends buying drinks for them that night.
They didn't get in legal trouble for having illegal drugs in their cabin?!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Sorry this does not ring true to me. If they found pot and cocaine in their cabin the authorities would have been notified and they would have been arrested when they got to a port.

Just not sure if it would be have been one of the ports ship was sailing to or back in the home port.

Sorry this does not ring true to me. If they found pot and cocaine in their cabin the authorities would have been notified and they would have been arrested when they got to a port.

Just not sure if it would be have been one of the ports ship was sailing to or back in the home port.

Good point. Don't they need their sign and sail cards to get into their cabins? Sounds like fake news.

breaking the rules costs others because they build the prices with people that smuggle in mind so it hurts the honest people.

I realize the smugglers will all say that's nonsense but if someone doesn't believe that businesses take these things into account when they determine prices, they are very naive

They are going to charge high prices regardless, because they can! You are held captive and if you want to drink booze you will pay for it. Reminds me of going to a NLF or MLB game. Beers are $12 for a reason and it isn't because people are sneaking in their own.

• Like 1

Good point. Don't they need their sign and sail cards to get into their cabins? Sounds like fake news.

I have no reason to make this up. I too was surprised to hear that they weren't put in some sort of onboard jail. I've since heard of similar stories regarding passengers being caught with illegal substances onboard. Usually they just confiscate it. You only get arrested for it if you attempt to get those substances past customs getting off the ship. Regarding the sail and sign cards, I'm not sure how that worked out. Perhaps they still got to keep their physical cards, but they were deactivated for purchasing alcohol.

They are going to charge high prices regardless, because they can! You are held captive and if you want to drink booze you will pay for it. Reminds me of going to a NLF or MLB game. Beers are $12 for a reason and it isn't because people are sneaking in their own.

first , if you dont believe that smuggling is factored into prices you dont know business

and I have no clue what cruiseline you go in that has beer prices at $12 but I assure you its not Carnival. Beers are reasonable on cruiselines

Edited by hftmrock

I have no reason to make this up. I too was surprised to hear that they weren't put in some sort of onboard jail. I've since heard of similar stories regarding passengers being caught with illegal substances onboard. Usually they just confiscate it. You only get arrested for it if you attempt to get those substances past customs getting off the ship. Regarding the sail and sign cards, I'm not sure how that worked out. Perhaps they still got to keep their physical cards, but they were deactivated for purchasing alcohol.

Did you actually witness any of this? Often people on vacation love to make up stories and then laugh about the people they got to believe them. I’ve heard many stories of cruise lines holding people on the ship and turning them over to authorities when they get back to the states if they were found in possession of illegal substances.

Also even if Carnival allowed them on the ship,they would have been watching them like a hawk,since they didn’t want them to drink,any drink bought for them would have raised red flag.

I think they got one over on you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

first , if you dont believe that smuggling is factored into prices you dont know business

and I have no clue what cruiseline you go in that has beer prices at $12 but I assure you its not Carnival. Beers are reasonable on cruiselines

The were talking about craft beers in sports stadiums for NFL, NBA or MLB games