coffee maker in veranda vs deluxe veranda on Sky?

KBAJ

Hi all, Can anyone tell me from experience if there is a coffee maker in the veranda cabins on the Sky? On the Viking website it lists a coffee brewer under DV cabin benefits but not under V. However, in other places I read that the difference was basically the location of the cabin on board. Help! .... signed, an early morning caffeine addict...

Hi all, Can anyone tell me from experience if there is a coffee maker in the veranda cabins on the Sky? On the Viking website it lists a coffee brewer under DV cabin benefits but not under V. However, in other places I read that the difference was basically the location of the cabin on board. Help! .... signed, an early morning caffeine addict...

Just order a pot of coffee from room service.

No coffee maker in Vs. Several other differences between Vs and DVs other than just location.

Agree with other responder about ordering coffee from room service. Much better than what the in-room coffee maker brews up.

there is a difference 'tween V and DV beyond location

DV gets the soft drinks in mini bar replenished daily at no charge, and a set of (exceptionally poor) binoculars and a "cashmere blanket" and COFFEE

as well as the different cabin availability time and when you can start reserving things .. all mentioned in the 'brochure'

As mentioned with room service I'd just order a pot .... the machine in our DV <last month on SKY> was a "pod" machine making one cup at a time. In two weeks I think I used it twice (when dw was having a hard time getting moving!)

We have them remove the coffee maker and use the shelf for more storage!

Great suggestion, since neither of us drink coffee - only tea, we will request the room steward to remove the coffee maker for the duration of the cruise.

If your cabin is aft (in the back) or mid-ship, it's not much of a walk to the coffee bar on 2 or 3 - Baristas, I think? I found their coffee better than the stuff in the coffee pods, and you could get cappuccinos as well as coffee. It's open early and they have small pastries if you can't wait for breakfast. Of course, you need to be dressed to go there, which is about the only negative thing about that option!

If your cabin is aft (in the back) or mid-ship, it's not much of a walk to the coffee bar on 2 or 3 - Baristas, I think? I found their coffee better than the stuff in the coffee pods, and you could get cappuccinos as well as coffee. It's open early and they have small pastries if you can't wait for breakfast. Of course, you need to be dressed to go there, which is about the only negative thing about that option!

Roothy is talking about the Living Room Bar on Deck 1 (in the Atrium). Best coffee on the ship.

To us, the Coffee Machine is a DISADVANTAGE, and it was certainly NOT APPRECIATED.

Actually, we learnt that we would prefer NOT to have the coffee machines in our veranda cabins. We were in a DV cabin and found that the bulky coffee machine was taking up limited space which we could use for storage. And besides, the coffee "pods" they provided were not very nice (we realise that like food, tastes for coffee differs between individuals).

We read some folks here even asked the machines to be removed - what a good idea!

As someone said, you could do just as well ordering coffee from room service. What we did was just go up to the buffet or the coffee bar and ordered our coffee and took it to the room. Much easier than "fiddling" with the coffee machine.

If we could, we would rather book a Verandah cabin rather than a DV cabin, because the savings could sometimes be quite substantial, and the extra benefits on a DV booking are not so great. The size and decor of the cabins are identical, apart from that pesky coffee machine! :=) Unfortunately, Verandah cabins frequently gets sold out first and DV cabins seems to be more frequently available. It happened on our last cruise, and on our next cruise as well , with Viking Ocean.

Consider yourself fortunate that you managed to book a Verandah cabin and you will not have that machine bothering you.

For us, Viking has a lot of good things about it, but two things which Viking could improve on are:

1) REMOVE THE COFFEE MACHINE (BUT MAKE IT AVAILABLE ON REQUEST INSTEAD).

2) REPLACE CHEF'S TABLE WITH ANOTHER SPECIALTY RESTAURANT THAT HAS MENUS THAT DO NOT DIVIDE OPINIONS SO MUCH. (It's more likely we would avoid Chef's Table on our next cruise).

Edited by Gnoelj

No matter where we were having breakfast we took our insulated coffee mugs and stopped at the Living Room Bar for our coffee and took it to breakfast!!! If you are trying to be "healthy" one morning the same location has a green drink .....just don't take one of the wonderful pastries as well :)!

"Life is Good" aboard Viking! Wish I could get a LIG shirt to say that!

No matter where we were having breakfast we took our insulated coffee mugs and stopped at the Living Room Bar for our coffee and took it to breakfast!!! If you are trying to be "healthy" one morning the same location has a green drink .....just don't take one of the wonderful pastries as well :)!

"Life is Good" aboard Viking! Wish I could get a LIG shirt to say that!

Green drink? Wow...something they make there or a bottled one? I'm all over that, although I'm not sure I'll have room for that after all those lattes.

Green drink? Wow...something they make there or a bottled one? I'm all over that, although I'm not sure I'll have room for that after all those lattes.

That green stuff is not for everyone (me). It was popular but when I tried it I had images of blended lawn trimmings. I learned to order a bloody Mary.:cool:

To us, the Coffee Machine is a DISADVANTAGE, and it was certainly NOT APPRECIATED.

1) REMOVE THE COFFEE MACHINE (BUT MAKE IT AVAILABLE ON REQUEST INSTEAD).

2) REPLACE CHEF'S TABLE WITH ANOTHER SPECIALTY RESTAURANT THAT HAS MENUS THAT DO NOT DIVIDE OPINIONS SO MUCH. (It's more likely we would avoid Chef's Table on our next cruise).

We are non coffee drinkers and we understand that many appreciate it, however. We don't see that Viking needs to change their way for us. I suspect there are more coffee drinkers than non. We simply asked for it to be removed. It was not a problem or hassle what so ever. It was gone instantly after asking for it's removal.

Personally, we loved Chef's Table and would not like to see it change or replaced. We didn't like Manfredi's but we would never want them to take it away just because it wasn't for us. We know others love it. We just knew not to book it again.

I saw a young, athletic woman drinking the green stuff, and decided to pass on trying it. This is what I like: http://www.pbase.com/roothy123/image/166726172

I think that I am going to miss the Living Room Bar on my next cruise. We are taking a river journey next up and the self-op coffee machine just isn't the same as a talented barista.

That green stuff is not for everyone (me). It was popular but when I tried it I had images of blended lawn trimmings. I learned to order a bloody Mary.:cool:

Thanks Jim - note to self, no need to try the liquid lawn, stick to tea & highly hopped beverages. clear.png?emoji-grin-1677

We’ve also found the coffee machines in the cabins not to our liking, we like coffee, not the small espresso type so much. And I agree, don’t ask Viking to change but I’m with the few that did not enjoy the Chefs Table but liked Manfredis. First cruise we dined in both venues, 2nd one we totally skipped the Chefs Table as we’ve done with our upcoming cruise. Different strokes for different folks. We can’t wait!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

+1 on getting rid of the coffee machines as a DV perk. Let the somewhat better locations be the perk-that was the only difference from V that made any sense to me. It is too easy to get great coffee at the Living Room after 6:30 or acceptable coffee in the world cafe machines earlier or get room service coffee. The pod machine takes up room, is a pain to set up, and makes terrible coffee.

+1 also on making Chef's table something else. On our Midnight Sun cruise we tried it more than once. When we went early, we enjoyed sitting at window tables for the view and even better service but the menus are hit and miss with a lot of misses. Surely some other thing would be better.

The CT Restaurant is a welcome oddity from the mass market ships IMHO. I like having the excitement of "what's next?", so I would have to disagree with changing CT to somethjng else. I did not like everything served, but I found the whole experience to be refreshing. We paid an extra $100 per person on large ship for "The Chef's Table", but it was very different. Only 20 people so you basically had to run once you got on the ship to secure a spot ahead of 4000 pax. Crazy stress. VO, no stress. If you are still hungry because you didn't like the meal so much, you just head up to World Cafe to grab something else afterwards. Just my 2 cents.