Just booked and need to change the room

FSU Girl

I just booked a cruise but I didn’t realize the cabin I picked is disabled. I don’t want that or need it. What do I do? This is my first Norwegian Cruise. Am I going to lose the deposit moving it to a different cabin? Can I do this online or will I need to call? It was also the last suite available so probably will have to downgrade the room. Ugh I’m freaking out

I just booked a cruise but I didn’t realize the cabin I picked is disabled. I don’t want that or need it. What do I do? This is my first Norwegian Cruise. Am I going to lose the deposit moving it to a different cabin? Can I do this online or will I need to call? It was also the last suite available so probably will have to downgrade the room. Ugh I’m freaking out

You are not going to lose your deposit.

Don't get overly worried about it. If it is a disabled room it just means there are some extra grab bars in places, there may be a push button on the wall to open the door etc. It is also not uncommon for these cabins to be a bit bigger. They do assign these cabins to non-disabled passengers when they get all full in that category. If it is the last suite in your category they would have likely assigned it to a non-disabled passenger anyway.

Just call them up and explain what happened. Tell them if someone else needs the cabin your happy to move. If they move you it will likely be a cabin in the same category or a high cabin. I don't think they would charge you any more.

Do not freak out. I have seen many times where able-bodied people were put in accessible rooms. It should not be any issue. The good news is you will have more room, as the accessible rooms are normally a little larger. If you are still concerned, just call NCL and I am sure they will let you know it is okay.

You can change at no cost but you must call. As far as where you can go (if your category is sold out), I don't know. The rep will know what is available.

What will happen if I completely cancel and rebook a different room online instead?

AFAIK, you cannot cancel online if you booked directly with NCL.

Oh that’s odd I’ve never experienced that with other cruise lines. I guess I have no choice but to call them in the morning.

Will I be able to transfer my deposit to the new room? Since there aren’t any others of this suite I’ll have to downgrade the other rooms are too expensive. Is there a penalty for doing that?

What will happen if I completely cancel and rebook a different room online instead?

Are you booking direct with NCL or working with a TA ?

In any event call NCL or the TA and ask for help to straighten this out.

Don't rebook or cancel until you have discussed this.

Your sailing date of September 2019 is way beyond any Final Payment

or penalty period - the only thing that maybe in jeopardy is the promos

perks OBC - again discuss with NCL or TA.

I doubt that your sailing a year away is completely SOLD OUT !

You have not told us what ship you are booked on to offer further help ?

You did tell us that it is a suite - the last one in that category - what cabin number ?

NCL or your TA may tell you to stay put with what you have and if a

handicap guest needs the cabin NCL may move you to comparable

or better quarters at no charge.

Relax you have your foot in the door with the booking and your first

cruise in a suite is going to be something !

Are you booking direct with NCL or working with a TA ?

In any event call NCL or the TA and ask for help to straighten this out.

Don't rebook or cancel until you have discussed this.

Your sailing date of September 2019 is way beyond any Final Payment

or penalty period - the only thing that maybe in jeopardy is the promos

perks OBC - again discuss with NCL or TA.

I doubt that your sailing a year away is completely SOLD OUT !

You have not told us what ship you are booked on to offer further help ?

You did tell us that it is a suite - the last one in that category - what cabin number ?

NCL or your TA may tell you to stay put with what you have and if a

handicap guest needs the cabin NCL may move you to comparable

or better quarters at no charge.

Relax you have your foot in the door with the booking and your first

cruise in a suite is going to be something !

It’s for the Norwegian Jade sailing out of Rome to the Greek Isles. I booked it directly with NCL online. I did a dummy booking and the category is showing as sold out now so I think it really is unless they hold some rooms back? The cabin is 9172 penthouse suite. I don’t know how I missed the little square when I was checking rooms I kept consulting the chart for what all the symbols meant. The next room up is almost 2 Grand more which is over our budget by a lot.

It’s for the Norwegian Jade sailing out of Rome to the Greek Isles. I booked it directly with NCL online. I did a dummy booking and the category is showing as sold out now so I think it really is unless they hold some rooms back? The cabin is 9172 penthouse suite. I don’t know how I missed the little square when I was checking rooms I kept consulting the chart for what all the symbols meant. The next room up is almost 2 Grand more which is over our budget by a lot.

I would try to keep the room. There are only a couple of penthouse suites. When you phone tell them you don't need the extra disability features but would love to have a Penthouse suite in that category. They very likely will be ok with you staying there. If they need the room they are more likely to move you to a similar or higher category at no cost.

Helpful photos/videos of cabin 9172 Jewel Class NCL ships

https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/deckplans/Norwegian-Jade

YouTube video of sister ship PEARL cabin 9172:

CONSIDER ALTERNATIVES:

For a few dollars more book a 2 bedroom suite on deck 11 when and if available -

You don't have to spend XXX $s for a Haven suite -

Wait until 80 days from sailing and wait for NCL to offer a bid/upgrade to another category of suite -

Keep checking back for any developments - other guest cancellations/bookings/upgrades

9 months away with plenty of negotiable room to better this situation.

9 months ??? 3 months shy of the Final Payment and commitment to sail a year from now.

em-sk = great advice !

Keep coming back for more help and assistance here - this is what CC readers do best !

I would try to keep the room. There are only a couple of penthouse suites. When you phone tell them you don't need the extra disability features but would love to have a Penthouse suite in that category. They very likely will be ok with you staying there. If they need the room they are more likely to move you to a similar or higher category at no cost.

I agree with this advice. Would hate for you to give up the suite you want and then no one with a disability that needs it books it.

Oh heavens don't freak out, there are a lot of other things to freak out about maybe but not this. Yes, call NCL and explain to them. BTW, the disabled cabins are larger than the standard ones. There is nothing wrong with keeping what you have. The only problem would be if someone that was disabled did need the cabin then NCL would find a way to give you what you want and still assist the other passenger. What just happened is an example of why it is better to work with NCL via phone or use a TA. It is easy for those of us, booking on line to make the same mistake you just made.

It’s not until September 2019

seeing it is over a year away my guess is,there are still plenty of suites available. I don't know where you got the idea that was the only one left. Yes, give them a call this morning. Please do not even try to make the change on line. I now have read the rest of your posts on the topic. Just let NCL help you. there is no advantage trying to make the changes yourself.

So I called and the suites truly are sold out at the moment, I suppose so far out someone could cancel and I’ll keep an eye out for that. I watched videos of the room and I just don’t think I’d like the shower set up, although the extra space would have been nice. We couldn’t go up in category the price was just too steep so we currently have a normal balcony room booked. But the room seems nice has no connecting door and staterooms above and below so if we end up staying there I’ll be happy with it. Calling I was able to make a note of it being a honeymoon so that’s nice.

I’m not really sure how the bidding process works, but there’s a few areas of the ship I wouldn’t want since I’m a light sleeper so I think we’d only change rooms if a suite becomes available again and I can see where it’s located.

I was in a little bit of a panic last night but calmed down now and really excited for my cruise. Thank you everyone for your helpful tips!

So I called and the suites truly are sold out at the moment, I suppose so far out someone could cancel and I’ll keep an eye out for that. I watched videos of the room and I just don’t think I’d like the shower set up, although the extra space would have been nice. We couldn’t go up in category the price was just too steep so we currently have a normal balcony room booked. But the room seems nice has no connecting door and staterooms above and below so if we end up staying there I’ll be happy with it. Calling I was able to make a note of it being a honeymoon so that’s nice.

I’m not really sure how the bidding process works, but there’s a few areas of the ship I wouldn’t want since I’m a light sleeper so I think we’d only change rooms if a suite becomes available again and I can see where it’s located.

I was in a little bit of a panic last night but calmed down now and really excited for my cruise. Thank you everyone for your helpful tips!

Bidding likely won’t open until 80 days before your cruise, so that is long way out. And frankly, it may not suit you, because you will not get to select your exact suite. So to be sure you will be happy with your new upgraded cabin, only bid on a category if every single cabin in that category would be OK with you. So, if an accessible shower is a deal breaker, don’t bid on a category that has such cabins. As location matters to light sleeper, don’t bid on a category with cabin space in locations you dislike...you might well get one of them.

Your best bet is to watch availability and prices regularly. If the right suite pops up for the right price, book it.

Bidding likely won’t open until 80 days before your cruise, so that is long way out. And frankly, it may not suit you, because you will not get to select your exact suite. So to be sure you will be happy with your new upgraded cabin, only bid on a category if every single cabin in that category would be OK with you. So, if an accessible shower is a deal breaker, don’t bid on a category that has such cabins. As location matters to light sleeper, don’t bid on a category with cabin space in locations you dislike...you might well get one of them.

Your best bet is to watch availability and prices regularly. If the right suite pops up for the right price, book it.

That’s good advice thank you. I could definitely see some locations being an issue. Since it’s pretty far out I’ll keep an eye on it and see if anything opens up that is currently sold out.

Just call on the phone, tell them you prefer NOT to have an HC cabin....and if there is something avail....they will make the switch.

This is why you should have the deck plans in front of you when booking!

I did look over everything before booking, I just must have overlooked the little square

You are not going to lose your deposit.

Don't get overly worried about it. If it is a disabled room it just means there are some extra grab bars in places, there may be a push button on the wall to open the door etc. It is also not uncommon for these cabins to be a bit bigger. They do assign these cabins to non-disabled passengers when they get all full in that category. If it is the last suite in your category they would have likely assigned it to a non-disabled passenger anyway.

Just call them up and explain what happened. Tell them if someone else needs the cabin your happy to move. If they move you it will likely be a cabin in the same category or a high cabin. I don't think they would charge you any more.

And you won’t lose a thing. If anything, you might gain.