Princess transfers - LAX to San Pedro

Romy40

https://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/travel.jsp (click on 'Flight Guidelines for Non Princess Flight Guests'):

LOS ANGELES

Embarking Passengers

For voyages departing from San Pedro, the latest flight arrival is 2 hours and 30 minutes prior to ship's departure for domestic flights.

Disembarking Passengers

For voyages arriving in San Pedro at 6:15 am, the earliest flight departure 6 hours and 15 minutes after ship's arrival for domestic flights.

For voyages arriving in San Pedro at 7:00 am, the earliest flight departure 5 hours and 30 minutes after ship's arrival for domestic flights.

...but I am pretty sure all the LA locals on here will tell you that a flight arriving only 90 minutes before check-in closes is cutting it way too close.

We have a friend who lives very near the port. We joke that if we allow an hour to get to her home, it will take 2. If we allow 2 hours, it will take 1 or less and we'll be early. We've just learned to "go with the flow." For something with a time you need to be there, like embarkation,....well, I'd always allow the two hours for that.

If the ship sails at 4pm, I would never book a flight arriving after 1pm at the very latest.

Even if your flight arrives on time, there’s never any guarantee that the plane will be able to go directly to the gate. It’ll take time to de-plane, walk the very long distance to baggage claim and then wait for your luggage. It can take an hour from landing until your bag appears.

People in the LA metro area measure distance from LAX not in miles but in time. It’s “rush hour” almost 24/7 on LA highways. It’s possible for it to take 30-40 minutes to get to the port but far more likely, it’ll take an hour or more.

Almost all of the check-in people at the port leave at 3pm. It’s a ghost town in the terminal. You will be able to check in and go through Security.

I’d book a flight arriving at 1pm only if you have absolutely no choice. That’s cutting it way too close and doesn’t allow for delays.

I also vote for UBER or LYFT. I have used them many times since I don’t have to wait for a van or bus to fill up.

Be careful as I have drivers who have not driven to San Pedro Port before & it’s easy for them to miss the turn-off which can be tricky & if missed they wind up going across the St Thomas bridge & have to turn around & come back.

I may use my own phones map system to make sure the driver doesn’t miss the turnout.

Once off the freeway the driver makes a right turn at the intersection & travels a short distance where they a left turn to get into the roadway that leads to the terminal. It can be tricky.

Tom😎

LA Traffic can be so unpredictable. Even leaving the airport itself has been known to take 20 minutes in traffic. I would not like to cut it close on a flight to Los Angeles with the cruise leaving hours away. If you can get in earlier flying into Long Beach, I'd try that. The airport is still about 25 minutes from the port, but it would likely have less traffic.

Good luck with your flights.

Oh and I would Uber or Lyft too.

Thanks to all who chimed in. I totally forgot about the LA traffic.

Any idea how much Uber would charge? Or Super Shuttle? Taxi?

How far from LAX to San Pedro Port?

We're meeting family who are flying in to LAX; arriving 1:00pm. I think this is cutting it pretty close given there might be delays, traffic, etc.

Guess I better see if airline tickets can be changed; fly in the day BEFORE the cruise, eh?

We're meeting family who are flying in to LAX; arriving 1:00pm. I think this is cutting it pretty close given there might be delays, traffic, etc.

Guess I better see if airline tickets can be changed; fly in the day BEFORE the cruise, eh?

You can use many programs to get an accurate distance from LAX to the port, although in LA time has little or no relation to distance. If you go to the Uber web site, you can get an estimate of cost based on your time of day, size of vehicle you select, etc. If I were guessing, about $40. If you google LA transportation, you'll also be able to estimate taxi fares, which can greatly increase based on traffic delays. DON'T do a taxi. We find Uber to be the best situation, and I've never had a bad Uber in LA! There's a lot of competition and the drivers work to earn ratings.

Yes, flying in the day before is always best--eliminates a lot of stress, and increases your options in the event of a flight delay or whatever. FWIW, our recent flight into LAX was an hour delayed. That could be a missed cruise if you cut it close!

Come in a day early, Uber to a hotel near the cruise port. If you use one that has complimentary transportation to the port, you are set. If not, a cheap uber will get you there in the morning.

Edited by moki'smommy

I also vote for UBER or LYFT. I have used them many times since I don’t have to wait for a van or bus to fill up.

Be careful as I have drivers who have not driven to San Pedro Port before & it’s easy for them to miss the turn-off which can be tricky & if missed they wind up going across the St Thomas bridge & have to turn around & come back.

I may use my own phones map system to make sure the driver doesn’t miss the turnout.

Once off the freeway the driver makes a right turn at the intersection & travels a short distance where they a left turn to get into the roadway that leads to the terminal. It can be tricky.

Tom😎

Taking the Princess shuttle eliminates many of the problems pointed out.

A) the ship will wait for late busses

B) once your luggage is by the bus, you don't have to touch yours it again until it is in front of your cabin

C) You don't have to find the driver sent for you or worry about his competency.

We have taken Uber a few times from LAX to the World Cruise Center.

It runs approx. $28-$38 depending on demand at the time you book the ride.

Its approx. 21 miles and 45 minutes depending on traffic.

PrimeTime Shuttle $16pp.

Taxi approx. $60

In November for our Panama Canal cruise out of San Pedro, we are taking the Princess Shuttle only because it's FREE. It's part of the package we got when we booked. Otherwise, we would take Super Shuttle. We won't ever do Uber or Lyft, I'd take a taxi before doing the later. I hope our Princess transfer is better than last time.

Taking the Princess shuttle eliminates many of the problems pointed out.

A) the ship will wait for late busses

B) once your luggage is by the bus, you don't have to touch yours it again until it is in front of your cabin

C) You don't have to find the driver sent for you or worry about his competency.

If you want to wait for a bus to fill up and be super slow take the princess transfer.

If you want a cheaper easier quicker alternative then take Uber.

We take Uber every time and it works well. I’d never pay for a princess transfer to or from LAX.

One more thing about Super Shuttle. You will wait for a Super Shuttle to show up. If there's a line, you will be waiting. Even if you get a shuttle, it may make 2-3 stops along the way to let passengers off at their destination. It's not a clear cut shot with Super Shuttle. As for the Princess transfer, we've waited maybe 15 minutes for other people to show up. Since our flight is very early in the morning, getting to the ship at 9:00 am and sit around for a couple of hours is not the best of options for anyone regardless of which means of transportation they take.