POM to Ft Lauderdale airport 11:45am flight

Chesneygirl

We just booked the Bliss Haven for February 2019. Now looking at flights…is an 11:45am flight out of Fort Lauderdale doable? Thanks in advance for any tips and advice. :)

We are on getaway in November and have an 11am flight booked out of Miami. As long as ship is on time and you get off early i don’t see any issue

There was long thread about this subject a week or two ago.

The short answer is: Maybe But: (1) the ship has to arrive on time, (2) ship would have to be cleared to disembarkation quickly, (3) there are no problems clearly Customs, (4) there are no accidents on the freeway for your 40 mile ride to the Fort Launderdale, and (5) there are no problems at the airport-- long ticket counter lines or Security lines.

In order to make an 11:45 flight you need to be at the terminal by 9:30.

Keep in need that several other ships both in Fort Lauderdale and in Miami will also be disembarking passengers as well as The Bliss.

Would I book a flight that early: NO

We just booked the Bliss Haven for February 2019.

Now looking at flights…is an 11:45am flight out of Fort Lauderdale doable?

Thanks in advance for any tips and advice. :)

Think about it; are you lucky?

Are you going to worry about this until next February,2019, and, while you are on your cruise?

We have done this before...but not again.

There was long thread about this subject a week or two ago.

The short answer is: Maybe But: (1) the ship has to arrive on time, (2) ship would have to be cleared to disembarkation quickly, (3) there are no problems clearly Customs, (4) there are no accidents on the freeway for your 40 mile ride to the Fort Launderdale, and (5) there are no problems at the airport-- long ticket counter lines or Security lines.

In order to make an 11:45 flight you need to be at the terminal by 9:30.

Keep in need that several other ships both in Fort Lauderdale and in Miami will also be disembarking passengers as well as The Bliss.

Would I book a flight that early: NO

Lol. I wouldn't even leave my house until 10AM for an 11:45AM flight.

Making an 11:45AM flight getting of a cruise ship at 8AM is so easy it's not even a concern. Even if the ship is a little late and I95 is shut down, STILL easy to make the flight.

Haven guests can also be first off with self-disembark.

Not only is this flight doable, it's very practical and not at all risky.

We just booked the Bliss Haven for February 2019. Now looking at flights…is an 11:45am flight out of Fort Lauderdale doable? Thanks in advance for any tips and advice. :)

Yes it is doable if ship ports on time.

The unknown is

1) Medical emergency

2) ship engine problems

3) unannounced crew inspections by Customs/Homeland security

4) pax decides to jump overboard thus delaying porting on time

5) major accident shutting down 95

While you don't expect any of those to happen, they do/can.

Just have a plan B in case, but your chances are pretty good you will make it.

FLL is approx. 35-45 minutes from Port of Miami.

Yes it is doable if ship ports on time.

The unknown is

1) Medical emergency

2) ship engine problems

3) unannounced crew inspections by Customs/Homeland security

4) pax decides to jump overboard thus delaying porting on time

5) major accident shutting down 95

While you don't expect any of those to happen, they do/can.

Just have a plan B in case, but your chances are pretty good you will make it.

FLL is approx. 35-45 minutes from Port of Miami.

6) Nuclear war breaks out with the Bahamas

7) A hurricane hits in February

I think maybe OP should plan a flight for March for her February cruise, I mean, what if I95 shuts down and you have to take a side street, adding 15 minutes to the drive? The horror!!!!

For the record. I got off Escape in March this year after our Feb cruise. It doesn't even start disembarkation until 7 or so. I95 was completely shut down due to an accident. We got off and took side streets. I arrived home before 8AM and I live further than the Fort Lauderdale airport. It added (maybe) 15 - 20 minutes to our drive.

https://www.local10.com/news/florida/north-miami/2-dead-3-injured-in-early-morning-crash-on-i-95

Normally these topics come up with someone asking about 9:45 and if it's doable (still is)... but 11:45 is basically a recommended time by the cruise lines. It's a complete and total non-issue and not risky at all.

I am about 95% comfortable booking the 11:45am time slot.

I'm leaning towards taking my chances and booking this flight.

Thanks for all the replies. :)

Now I just need to decide where we want to stay 2 nights precruise.

Looking at Margarittaville Beach Resort, Hilton at Fort Lauderdale Beach or the Diplomat Beach Resort.

Any suggestions or personal experiences for any of these properties?

This question is asked on a weekly basis. The answers are always the same. Some people say yes it is not a problem, others say, not it is no doable. The truth is probably somewhere between the two.

You need to be at FLL no later than 10:30 a.m. It is about an hour from POM to FLL. This means you need to be off the ship by 9:30. Since OP is in the Haven that should not be an issue, since they have priority disembarkation. (Even regular passengers who don't do walk off are off by then.) The issues with getting off the ship might happen the instant OP sets foot in the terminal. At that point the timing is all up to ICE, and CBP. Usually you breeze right through, sometimes, you can spend an hour or more waiting to clear, especially if they single you out for extra security.

Making that flight is dependent on the ship arriving on time. The ship being cleared on time, CBP being fully staffed, traffic being "normal", and a number of things out of any one persons control.

I would not hesitate to book an 11:45 out of FLL.

We are on getaway in November and have an 11am flight booked out of Miami. As long as ship is on time and you get off early i don’t see any issue

You have a 12 - 15 minute cab ride. OP has an hour cab ride. Additionally FLL is normally more congested than MIA. Always make sure that you are comparing apples to apples.

I am about 95% comfortable booking the 11:45am time slot.

I'm leaning towards taking my chances and booking this flight.

Thanks for all the replies. :)

Now I just need to decide where we want to stay 2 nights precruise.

Looking at Margarittaville Beach Resort, Hilton at Fort Lauderdale Beach or the Diplomat Beach Resort.

Any suggestions or personal experiences for any of these properties?

Do the flight. It's not even a remote concern. Your back up plan should be whether you want to self disembark first to avoid any potential slow downs with customs. Your flight is NOT dependent on everything being perfectly on time, you have plenty of extra wiggle room.

As for a hotel, from your list I would vote for Margaritaville by a long shot. It's a real "resort", right smack on the beach with awesome ammenities. But also because it's in the middle of the Hollywood Broadwalk which is a great place to walk, people watch, live music, food and drinks, etc. Etc.

Do the flight. It's not even a remote concern. Your back up plan should be whether you want to self disembark first to avoid any potential slow downs with customs. Your flight is NOT dependent on everything being perfectly on time, you have plenty of extra wiggle room.

As for a hotel, from your list I would vote for Margaritaville by a long shot. It's a real "resort", right smack on the beach with awesome ammenities. But also because it's in the middle of the Hollywood Broadwalk which is a great place to walk, people watch, live music, food and drinks, etc. Etc.

That's kind of what I was thinking too on all accounts!

Thanks so much for your advice!! :)

You have a 12 - 15 minute cab ride. OP has an hour cab ride. Additionally FLL is normally more congested than MIA. Always make sure that you are comparing apples to apples.

I was comparing apples to apples! My flight is 11 op flight is 11:45. 45 min drive to fll seems pretty clear to me 🤔

That's kind of what I was thinking too on all accounts!

Thanks so much for your advice!! :)

Our past three sailings we have been at FLL by 8:30. We were in the Haven and did self disembark with the concierge walking us down. We pre-arranged our transportation using Larry's Limos. Earlier this year one in our party made a 10:15ish flight. We were there by 8:30 with a major accident closing 95.

Of course things can wrong, but it is a risk we are willing to take. I would book an 11:45 flight without blinking.

No problem at all,,, unless there is a hurricane in February :)

Have a great cruise. The Bliss is a beautiful ship.

Our past three sailings we have been at FLL by 8:30. We were in the Haven and did self disembark with the concierge walking us down. We pre-arranged our transportation using Larry's Limos. Earlier this year one in our party made a 10:15ish flight. We were there by 8:30 with a major accident closing 95.

Of course things can wrong, but it is a risk we are willing to take. I would book an 11:45 flight without blinking.

Do you recall how much Larry's Limo cost? Does he have a website?

No problem at all,,, unless there is a hurricane in February :)

Have a great cruise. The Bliss is a beautiful ship.

Thanks I am beyond excited to sail on the Bliss!!

Chesneygirl, we were on the Escape out of Miami in March. Used Larry's limos which was a great experience - around $95 each way including tip.

http://www.larryslimo.com/contact.html

Prior to getting off the ship in the first group via the Haven concierge the driver from Larrys called my cell advising she was in the waiting lot and to call her as soon as we got through customs. I called after customs and she was waiting for us at the pick up area.

We were at FLL by 9am for our 11:45 flight. No worries, do it.

Have a great cruise!

I think the trip from POM to FLL has been around $120 (for three people). We either get a car or a large SUV. We've been very pleased with this company and have used them three or four times. http://www.larryslimo.com/

Thanks for the info and the link. I just got a quote from them and will be using them! :)

Chesneygirl, we were on the Escape out of Miami in March. Used Larry's limos which was a great experience - around $95 each way including tip.

http://www.larryslimo.com/contact.html

Prior to getting off the ship in the first group via the Haven concierge the driver from Larrys called my cell advising she was in the waiting lot and to call her as soon as we got through customs. I called after customs and she was waiting for us at the pick up area.

We were at FLL by 9am for our 11:45 flight. No worries, do it.

Have a great cruise!

Wow thanks for the awesome information. Just contacted them and we will be using them!

6) Nuclear war breaks out with the Bahamas

7) A hurricane hits in February

I think maybe OP should plan a flight for March for her February cruise, I mean, what if I95 shuts down and you have to take a side street, adding 15 minutes to the drive? The horror!!!!

For the record. I got off Escape in March this year after our Feb cruise. It doesn't even start disembarkation until 7 or so. I95 was completely shut down due to an accident. We got off and took side streets. I arrived home before 8AM and I live further than the Fort Lauderdale airport. It added (maybe) 15 - 20 minutes to our drive.

https://www.local10.com/news/florida/north-miami/2-dead-3-injured-in-early-morning-crash-on-i-95

Normally these topics come up with someone asking about 9:45 and if it's doable (still is)... but 11:45 is basically a recommended time by the cruise lines. It's a complete and total non-issue and not risky at all.

Thanks for putting your experience and the extra spin on it on with 6/7, which by way are highly unlikely.

And I did state that although unlikely to happen on 1-5, those have a better chance of happening than 6/7.

Just sayin'

We have gotten on flights out of FLL as early as 830am (we were able to standby for that flight because we got to the airport so early), but for our last cruise in July we had a 10:45am flight and we made it to the gate after boarding had already started about 20 minutes before departure. We had self assist debarkation and the ship arrived on time but things were moving particularly slow getting off the ship and going through customs.

But 11:45am is more than reasonable pending no unexpected delays.

As far as transportation, we now use Uber or Lyft. Usually they are there within 5 minutes from the moment we request the ride, and it’s very affordable. From the port of Miami to FLL we’ve paid $35 total for 4 people and $10 from Port Everglades to FLL.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for putting your experience and the extra spin on it on with 6/7, which by way are highly unlikely.

And I did state that although unlikely to happen on 1-5, those have a better chance of happening than 6/7.

Just sayin'

Let's have fun with this.

1. Medical Emergency... what kind of medical emergency? How often has this happened, can you provide a percentage of overall cruises that were significantly delayed due to a medical emergency? If the emergency happens on the final evening, wouldn't the ship be steaming faster home, rather than the opposite direction?

2. Ship engine trouble. What flight should OP book based on this one? Is the ship floating at sea without propulsion for a few extra days and in need of a tug? Emergency generators not sufficient? Do you book the 3PM flight or do you book the 11:45AM flight a week from expected arrival just to cover your bases?

3. Crew inspections. This happens often enough. Does everyone on board then miss their flights this day? I would think this would be a major issue, discussed daily, with thousands and thousands of stranded passengers, no?

4. Passenger Jumps Overboard... Seriously? So which flight do you book in case someone decides to end it? Of course, you are hedging that the passenger decides to jump overboard on the final evening, right? Like most people, I certainly factor this one in when booking my flights....

5. Major accident on I95... well, I already answered this one. Non-issue.

The point is, things happen when traveling. Give yourself a little buffer (11:45AM is PLENTY of buffer, several hours) and if a highly unlikely catastrophe happens, you put your big boy pants on, walk up to the airline counter, and book a later flight.... and again, your 1 - 5 is HIGHLY UNLIKELY at all. Then it's highly unlikely even if 1 - 5 happens, that you would be significantly delayed enough to miss your flight... making it all even more highly unlikely. Who plans for highly unlikely scenarios? I mean, it's not like missing a flight is life or death.