Dress Codes

larry_s_taco

This made me chuckle!

Because of some anatomical foot issues, I cannot wear what most would call dress shoes. NO extra height in heels, Wide toe bed, great support surrounding my feet. This boils down to what as a kid I called Orthopedic Oxfords. (Back then I did not have shoe limitations.)

Anyhow, for gala nights I do dress-up EXCEPT for my shoes. Oh, I have some black shoes in great condition, but NOT dressy. In large part due to my shoe limitations, all of my gala wear (and casual wear) involve slacks, which is good because "clunky" shoes do not show as much as with skirts/dresses.

On the 2018 World Cruise one lady at a table I walked past leaving the MDR would glare at my feet and look up at my face with a very sour, disapproving look. She obviously did not approve of my footwear choices. I loved it! Each gala night I would intentionally pass by her table and with a big smile on my face, stare at her. Well, that stopped her fashion police role - she would not even look at me, including my feet, after the first few weeks. Apparently self-appointed on-board fashion police still do exist but can be tamed!

On the 2018 World Cruise one lady at a table I walked past leaving the MDR would glare at my feet and look up at my face with a very sour, disapproving look. She obviously did not approve of my footwear choices. I loved it! Each gala night I would intentionally pass by her table and with a big smile on my face, stare at her. Well, that stopped her fashion police role - she would not even look at me, including my feet, after the first few weeks. Apparently self-appointed on-board fashion police still do exist but can be tamed!

Awesome! Good for you! They still walk among us, at times! :)

This topic of appropriate dress for Gala Nights comes up on a regular basis. I find the posts interesting and wonder why folks get themselves in such a snit about Gala night attire. The cruise is supposed to be relaxing time...so enjoy. Wear what you are comfortable wearing. If you are not comfortable wearing a suit, then don't. Just remember you are the paying customer and you will probably never see any of the other cruisers ever again.

When we first started to cruise, yes we dressed up for the formal nights. Mind you no tux or gown, but suit and fancy dress. As the years went by, we said "why", and gradually changed to a somewhat casual attire...a sport jacket, (sometimes). If no sports coat...a dark sweater and collared shirt. For me, nice dress or dark slacks and fancy top.

Horror of horrors we have both worn dark wash jeans to the MDR, but not on Gala Night. The sky did not fall, and no one said anything.

All this to say, dress in whatever you feel comfortable wearing, enjoy your dinner, the evening and the conversation with your table mates. We should not judge others by what they wear, as we have no idea of their circumstances. Once on the cruise everyone is equal and should be treated as such. We are all paying customers.

I have to agree with Ithaca Gal. The above has been our experience also.

*Note To the Fashion Police Police: The above statement does not translate to “You must dress formal on Gala Nights.”

Don’t you realize that your commenting on the fact that you agree with an earlier post which noted that some men wore jackets in the MDR simply confirms your status as a plainclothes agent of the fashion police?

You have blown your cover.

Don’t you realize that your commenting on the fact that you agree with an earlier post which noted that some men wore jackets in the MDR simply confirms your status as a plainclothes agent of the fashion police?

You have blown your cover.

My head hurts. :loudcry:

It's been quite a long time ago that I have done the long gown, over the top thing. Smart casual works all the time. However, with my upcoming cruise on the Prinsendam, I have already bought 2 very special evening/cocktail dresses. I want to enjoy the whole experience on a ship that I will never be able to sail on again. Now this is just me and by no means am I saying anyone else should have to do it too.

We are getting ready to sail our 3rd HAL cruise. The first was a Caribbean cruise and before airlines started to charge for luggage and I think my hubby took his tux. The 2nd was Alaska and although we dressed well it was not formal. We are cruising for our anniversary in 2 weeks and I'll be taking dressy cocktail dresses and due to airline restrictions hubby opted to rent a tux. :):D:D

In the future I can see us moving to a more smart casual look. I'm successfully cruised for a week with just a carry-on but not for this trip.

It's been quite a long time ago that I have done the long gown, over the top thing. Smart casual works all the time. However, with my upcoming cruise on the Prinsendam, I have already bought 2 very special evening/cocktail dresses. I want to enjoy the whole experience on a ship that I will never be able to sail on again. Now this is just me and by no means am I saying anyone else should have to do it too.

That's a neat idea. Kind of like a gala send off for an old friend.

That's one of the best reasons I've seen for going dress up. Enjoy a cruise to remember for a long time.

We just returned from a 38-day Voyage of the Vikings cruise. Most people dressed up on Gala nights; women in dressy dresses or pants and men in suits or sport coats. Those that didn't dress up were definitely out of place on those occasions. They have reduced the number of Gala nights. We had only five on that 38 day cruise.

I think that there are some people that believe that those who don't want to bother with suits, ties, etc need some sort of excuse for not doing so. We find this perception little odd.

Nothing could be further from the truth. We prefer casual and we certainly do not need an excuse other than it is our preference. Nor do we feel it necessary to answer to any one else about our choice.....hence no excuses are necessary. The notion that we feel the need to make excuses is just a little bit silly.

Edited by iancal

We believe that dress the way you feel . I have stopped taking a sport jacket & much prefer a dressy sweater over a very nice sport short sleeved shirt . Much more comfortable . My wife uses a dressy blouse over dressy slacks .

We are very close to 80 & wish to feel comfortable always :D

I think that there are some people that believe that those who don't want to bother with suits, ties, etc need some sort of excuse for not doing so. We find this perception little odd.

Nothing could be further from the truth. We prefer casual and we certainly do not need an excuse other than it is our preference. Nor do we feel it necessary to answer to any one else about our choice.....hence no excuses are necessary. The notion that we feel the need to make excuses is just a little bit silly.

What's truly 'silly' is dressing to impress other passengers who'll you'll never see again.

We believe that dress the way you feel . I have stopped taking a sport jacket & much prefer a dressy sweater over a very nice sport short sleeved shirt . Much more comfortable . My wife uses a dressy blouse over dressy slacks .

We are very close to 80 & wish to feel comfortable always :D

Good ideas. Also appropriate on HAL now, of course. Nice thing about a sportcoat is having extra pockets.