Dress Codes

larry_s_taco

It has been awhile since I sailed with HAL. We last went in 2011. Do they still require sport coats/suits for the formal nights? Since the other lines have mostly done away with it I was hoping HAL did also. It sure saves packing space when you don't have to include coats.

Our Alaska on the Zaandam in late May was not "casual" on formal night at all - most men wore dark suits and women look terrific dressed up. We learned the Caribbean in the winter was not "casual" either as we were warned ahead of time. Never saw so many tuxes and long gowns in a long time, as I did on that NA cruise.

Wish people would stop making "packing" excuses. Just admit you have no intention of dressing up more and be done with it. It is okay now. You don't have to use excuses. The new guidelines are clear and have been around for some time.

No excuses here. We are done with dressing up for formal or gala nights. Not because of packing, although we do only travel with carry on. Not because of airline fees but rather due to personal preference. Why would anyone think they would have to make an excuse for not dressing up.?Very odd.

We decided some time ago to stop being a pretend Mr and Mrs Dress up for an event that has lost most of it's lustre and it's enjoyment to us years ago. Besides, prior to retirement it came down why dress up on vacation when we do it every day for work. I had to do then, Not about to do it for a bunch of strangers and for the blue plate special on what is essentially a banquet menu tarted up to look slightly gourmet. So my suit stays in the closet at home, DW's Sunday beads stay in her jewelry box. Very happy to skip the MDR in the past. Now it appears that we can attend if we wish.

The market has changed. It has been changing for quite some time. HAL finally got the hint and moved to where the market has been for quite some time now.

Just got off Westerdam (Alaska) and I was shocked. Smart casual has descended to torn jeans and ratty t-shirts. I can understand smart casual, but that certainly was not the norm.

I realize that Alaska is more informal but, please people, dress better than your worst lawn mowing outfit!!!

We have not been on a HAL cruise (25+) where men in jackets or at least ties were outnumbered by those without ties or jackets. Just saying.

That has been our experience, too.

OP to answer your question "Do they still require sport coats/suits for the formal nights?" the answer, as others have said, is NO they are no longer required.

Our last HAL cruise to Alaska was back in early September when most kids were back in school.

The majority of cruisers were on the older side of the demo and were dressed rather smartly, even when casual and in jeans.

Both Gala Nights we saw quite a few suits and sports jackets and even a couple of tuxes. I always wear a suit on cruises because my wife wants pictures so I am obligated to wear one.

Our Alaska on the Zaandam in late May was not "casual" on formal night at all - most men wore dark suits and women look terrific dressed up. We learned the Caribbean in the winter was not "casual" either as we were warned ahead of time. Never saw so many tuxes and long gowns in a long time, as I did on that NA cruise.

Just got off Westerdam (Alaska) and I was shocked. Smart casual has descended to torn jeans and ratty t-shirts. I can understand smart casual, but that certainly was not the norm.

I realize that Alaska is more informal but, please people, dress better than your worst lawn mowing outfit!!!

Some exceed the stated dress requirements and some fall well short. As long as you don't view the two extremes as the norm, OP, and simply follow the rules, you'll be fine.

IMO the kind of dress you see depends greatly on what type of dining you have, with Early Open seating being the most casual and Main(late) Fixed being the most dressy. We always do Early Open and see mainly folks in the middle ground of collard-shirt-and-slacks with a handful at either end of the spectrum. I'm sure that people on our cruises with Main Fixed got a different picture.

Also I believe that longer cruises while schools are in session tend to be less than casual than short summer cruises because of the older demographics.

Please, when you say what you saw on your cruise, state which type of dining you had.

Edited by catl331

IMO the kind of dress you see depends greatly on what type of dining you have, with Early Open seating being the most casual and Main(late) Fixed being the most dressy. We always do Early Open and see mainly folks in the middle ground of collard-shirt-and-slacks with a handful at either end of the spectrum. I'm sure that people on our cruises with Main Fixed got a different picture.

Also I believe that longer cruises while schools are in session tend to be less than casual than short summer cruises because of the older demographics.

Please, when you say what you saw on your cruise, state which type of dining you had.

this ^

Some exceed the stated dress requirements and some fall well short. As long as you don't view the two extremes as the norm, OP, and simply follow the rules, you'll be fine.

so true :) Dress depends on the people on board. There is no prediction and as cat pointed out, if you are doing a fixed dining (especially main) there is bound to be a difference.

It really makes no difference. There are no "fashion police" on board and as long as you are abiding by the minimum standards, you will be fine.

HAL no longer has formal nights. They are now called Gala nights.

But the majority of the people dress the same on Gala nights as smart casual nights.

Most men wear a collared shirt and slacks. Ladies wear slacks and a top or a skirt and top or a dress.

Per above! Exactly! (y)

Per above! Exactly! (y)

Except when MOST wear jackets and/or ties. 😀

We prefer late dining in the MDR and in our experience, men with jackets outnumber those without.

Jackets are NOT required, nor are ties. But it is a misstatement to say that most men wear neither .... on every ship.

Thanks to all for the input. It sounds like HAL has fallen in line with the majority. Personally, while I really enjoyed the suits/tux's, ect in my younger years of cruising, it has been a more freeing experience to ditch them. I no longer lug two big suitcases, and get by with one. It really makes a difference, especially on the longer 11 and 14 day cruises. The resort casual is much more my style.

Except when MOST wear jackets and/or ties.

We prefer late dining in the MDR and in our experience, men with jackets outnumber those without.

Jackets are NOT required, nor are ties. But it is a misstatement to say that most men wear neither .... on every ship.

I have to agree with Ithaca Gal. The above has been our experience also.

*Note To the Fashion Police Police: The above statement does not translate to “You must dress formal on Gala Nights.”

I have to agree with Ithaca Gal. The above has been our experience also.

*Note To the Fashion Police Police: The above statement does not translate to “You must dress formal on Gala Nights.”

WELL SAID, Miss G! When I report our experiences have shown that MOST men wear a jacket or jacket and tie, The Fashion Police POLICE (very clever) immediately think that we are saying "therefore, you MUST wear a jacket or tie!".

Many people want to know if they will be in the minority of they don't wear a tie or jacket and tie. In our experiences ONLY, the true answer would be yes. We cannot speak to other people's experience!

What surprises me about older cruises (like us) is the unabated desire for conformity. We have met numerous people on cruises who have commented to us that they would have been much happier to only bring resort style casual clothes but were concerned that they would not 'fit in'.

We find this odd, especially for us oldies who have seen a lot/done a lot and no longer feel the pressing need to impress others by doing something or dressing in a way that we really prefer not to.

I think it has a lot to do with how you’re brought up and what you’re comfortable with. I don’t bring gowns anymore but I do wear cocktail dresses on Gala Nights. I wouldn’t feel comfortable in jeans in the dining room, just as I wouldn’t feel comfortable wearing jeans to work. I have never, in my life, seen either of my parents in jeans. Not even when they’re gardening.

I totally agree . I could never wear jeans in the MDR, no matter how designer they are! I too wear cocktail dresses on Gala Nights.

I think it has a lot to do with how you’re brought up and what you’re comfortable with. I don’t bring gowns anymore but I do wear cocktail dresses on Gala Nights. I wouldn’t feel comfortable in jeans in the dining room, just as I wouldn’t feel comfortable wearing jeans to work. I have never, in my life, seen either of my parents in jeans. Not even when they’re gardening.

Because of some anatomical foot issues, I cannot wear what most would call dress shoes. NO extra height in heels, Wide toe bed, great support surrounding my feet. This boils down to what as a kid I called Orthopedic Oxfords. (Back then I did not have shoe limitations.)

Anyhow, for gala nights I do dress-up EXCEPT for my shoes. Oh, I have some black shoes in great condition, but NOT dressy. In large part due to my shoe limitations, all of my gala wear (and casual wear) involve slacks, which is good because "clunky" shoes do not show as much as with skirts/dresses.

On the 2018 World Cruise one lady at a table I walked past leaving the MDR would glare at my feet and look up at my face with a very sour, disapproving look. She obviously did not approve of my footwear choices. I loved it! Each gala night I would intentionally pass by her table and with a big smile on my face, stare at her. Well, that stopped her fashion police role - she would not even look at me, including my feet, after the first few weeks. Apparently self-appointed on-board fashion police still do exist but can be tamed!