How to switch to online TA

Hi all, I have found a much better price for our cruise with an online TA. I made my original reservation directly with Royal Caribbean. How do I switch my reservation? Do I cancel the existing one first or can I make a new one online with the TA and then cancel my current booking? Thanks so much !

Hi all, I have found a much better price for our cruise with an online TA. I made my original reservation directly with Royal Caribbean. How do I switch my reservation? Do I cancel the existing one first or can I make a new one online with the TA and then cancel my current booking? Thanks so much !

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/direct-booking-transfer

I want to move my ressie to a TA, but had a poor experience before- so stuck with handling details myself. But, this is our first cruise with RCI and have received the wrong information, 1-2 rude or just ‘bothered’ reps, 3-4 excellent reps..just not consistent. I’m booking 2 cabins...price around $3500..the two I’ve checked both offer $150 OBC... in the past, Ive received $300-1600 OBC...just unsure of which agency will be a good one to stick with...I know you can’t recommend companies...but can any share why you chose your TA?

I want to move my ressie to a TA, but had a poor experience before- so stuck with handling details myself. But, this is our first cruise with RCI and have received the wrong information, 1-2 rude or just ‘bothered’ reps, 3-4 excellent reps..just not consistent. I’m booking 2 cabins...price around $3500..the two I’ve checked both offer $150 OBC... in the past, Ive received $300-1600 OBC...just unsure of which agency will be a good one to stick with...I know you can’t recommend companies...but can any share why you chose your TA?

I sometimes use a site that allows me to specify the exact parameters of my desired cruise/sailing/cabin-class and the various travel agents provide quotes. The agents never know who you are until you contact them.

If you do a Google search on comparing cruise prices I bet the site I use will turn up.

Thank you, excellent. I will go this route then. I have 60 days to find the right TA. Thank you again for the info.

Just to clarify the transfer parameters:

1- Must be no more than 60 days from original booking date

2- Must be before final payment date

3- Must be before paid in full

Items to consider for the assigned TA

1- are there any charges for changes?

2- are there any charges for the booking?

3- are there any charges for cancelling?

4- what about price drops, etc.

5- will I keep my original perks?

6- what are your office/service hours? (seeing a price change when no one will be available for 3 days may not allow you to get that change)

and, I'm sure, a slew of others.

Steve

Just to clarify the transfer parameters:

1- Must be no more than 60 days from original booking date

2- Must be before final payment date

3- Must be before paid in full

Items to consider for the assigned TA

1- are there any charges for changes?

2- are there any charges for the booking?

3- are there any charges for cancelling?

4- what about price drops, etc.

5- will I keep my original perks?

6- what are your office/service hours? (seeing a price change when no one will be available for 3 days may not allow you to get that change)

and, I'm sure, a slew of others.

Steve

Excellent list Steve.

I would also include making sure that the TA has the cruise line charge the credit card directly, and not the TA. In other words, the travel agent is not a middleman for the cruise payments. I understand this may not be possible with European travel agents.

Well, the wonderful people here on Cruise Critic were discussing what a great price there were getting using this TA. So, I checked online and the price was significantly lower than my direct booking price with RC. I called and spoke to a great agent and the reservation transfer was complete by yesterday afternoon! It was quick, easy, and saved us over $1,000 !

For my knowledge...I'm under the impression that a TA cannot get a better price on the cabin itself. They CAN offer additional perks that are worth real money (e.g. OBC), that comes out of their commission. The bottom line to the cruiser is a lower total cost, but the cabin itself is the same price. Is this true?

For my knowledge...I'm under the impression that a TA cannot get a better price on the cabin itself. They CAN offer additional perks that are worth real money (e.g. OBC), that comes out of their commission. The bottom line to the cruiser is a lower total cost, but the cabin itself is the same price. Is this true?

Not necessarily. Some TA's have group bookings where the price may be lower, but they aren't allowed to advertise them. You have to initiate contact with them. In can be done through one of the compare sites and it can be done by getting on the email list for different agencies.

Not necessarily. Some TA's have group bookings where the price may be lower, but they aren't allowed to advertise them. You have to initiate contact with them. In can be done through one of the compare sites and it can be done by getting on the email list for different agencies.

This is exactly how we got our MUCH lower rate. They "brought us into the group", and thus, got better pricing. Thanks to Cruise Critic, we saved a bunch!!

The group bookings are usually reserved when the sailings open up so its usually at the cheapest price. When the cruise line raises their prices as the months go on the group prices stay the same so thats why you see a lot of T/A with cheaper prices. Plus you get the perks of the group.

It sometimes doesn't work out tho, sometimes the regular price (FIT fare) will be cheaper than the group price so the T/A will book you under the regular price and then transfer you into the group, again so you get the amenities of the group.

Remember for every 8 cabins sold the group gets one free berth, the T/A's can use that for OBC, Lowering the whole group rates or just pocket it for for extra commission.