USDA Meat grades

zorrosuncle

It is not prime. You can count on that. It is also known for its inconsistency.

+1 on that, I've just about given up on the Pinacle Grill (and pretty much all land based and cruise line steakhouse for that matter) as I can cook a better steak at home.

As for service, we've had 4 good experiences and one atrocious experience on the Eurodam where we got up and walked out.

I was on the Rotterdam last month. The steaks in the Lido were very nice and tender - had them 4 times over 19 days.

Which cut did they identify they were offering at the Lido? I have heard the MDR "steak" option has been better than what get served in the Pinnacle - but then what cuts are getting compared.

Thanks for the info....I always buy USDA Choice.....being taught by father and grandfather not to buy anything below that...my grandfather had a "special supplier"...who dry aged his steaks...he bought all his beef from him....even now I can remember how wonderful those steaks were!! But lately I have found USDA Choice ribeye and T Bone steaks lacking IMHO...from a certain grocery store we have in our area...making me decide to not buy anymore beef from them and wondering if it's actually Choice.....Question...is Certified Angus Beef always considered USDA Choice? I know another grocery store that uses labels other than Choice and Prime...such as Certified Angus....and there is always a price difference in each labeling of beef...

Jane,

Certified Angus Beef will always be USDA Choice. As I mentioned,it comes from only the top level of choice graded beef. Its either 8 or 12% of the best choice available,thus the difference. Their logo shows a profile of a steer,usually in black with "Certified Angus Beef" prominently visible.

You can google search CAB. Their HQ is in Wooster,Ohio for more info.

There are other Angus programs out there with different names. "Silver Angus" "Butchers Angus"...etc, and I dont know their specs.

Happy shopping!

Jane,

Certified Angus Beef will always be USDA Choice. As I mentioned,it comes from only the top level of choice graded beef. Its either 8 or 12% of the best choice available,thus the difference. Their logo shows a profile of a steer,usually in black with "Certified Angus Beef" prominently visible.

You can google search CAB. Their HQ is in Wooster,Ohio for more info.

There are other Angus programs out there with different names. "Silver Angus" "Butchers Angus"...etc, and I dont know their specs.

Happy shopping!

Thanks for the info. I will look for it!!

It's literally true that nothing tastes as good as it used to -- as we age, our taste buds and sense of smell both diminish, starting in our 50s or 60s. Most don't like to accept that it's not changes in ingredients or quality that make things less tasty.... (Mind you, I'm not saying that quality of food aboard ships hasn't decreased.)

At any rate, I've never understood the lust for a big ol' slab of plain meat. Maybe I started cruising too young, but I prefer dishes with more interesting and elaborate flavors and presentations. I'd ten times rather have a duck pate en croute than a duck breast, or a beef Wellington or boeuf bourguignon instead of a ribeye.

I probably only prepare or order a plain steak or chop of any kind 3-4 times in a year. This is one reason I wish HAL had a Tamarind on every ship. I can do without Pinnacle Grill....

I have enjoyed the beef I have eaten on HAL and consider it comparable to the choice beef I grill at home. I figure those who complain about the grade of meat must either eat a whole lot better at home than I do or they are missing their teeth.

cruisemom42,

Your comment that "taste buds and sense of smell change" as one becomes more Senior surely resonates with me. (Try having surgery on one's nose when there is no sense of taste or smell for a period of time!) My preferences for food has surely changed as I have matured. Once, if the "cheese" was not Velveeta, I would not eat it. Now, I enjoy most cheeses that are available.

I don’t agree that a diminishing sense of taste is the reason HAL food and dining is less satisfying than it used to be. We are foodies/restaurant affectionados and sometimes rave about food experiences on land and at sea. But our last few Holland America cruises were nothing special dining wise.

Holland America Cruise fares have not changed much in the last fifteen years. Pinnacle Grill pricing hasn’t changed much in the last fifteen years and a fairly high percentage of diners are paying reduced fees to eat there.

I believe you get what you pay for.

Nowadays, dining room food is fairly good to good, but generally not memorable. Pinnacle grill food is good to pretty good but generally not memorable.

I agree with a previous post that the PG lunch might be a better option than dinner.

I've had their tenderloin several times and they have always undercooked it and contrary to popular belief you can't just put it back on the grill, it will come back dry.

I've had their halibut, overcooked and I've had their porterhouse, most flavorless, toughest steak I've ever had but at least was cooked to the doneness that I ordered.

We're going to try Tamarind again on our upcoming cruise but in future will probably stick primarily with the MDR.

We have also been disappointed in PG dinners. Last cruise on Amsterdam we had a complimentary dinner booked, and we didn't even bother to go. Beef is pretty bad, and other dished just aren't up to speed. IMHO.

If you wish to try a next time, order the Pork Chops. I will admit that I had my fingers crossed because often pork chops turn out to be dry. The PG's were flavorful, moist, and tender. An excellent preparation.

Also, the Seafood Stew that they offer is delicious.

A lot of the discussions on here is about fresh beef. When a ship is provisioned in a US port and is at sea for 20-30 days before major provisioning again, the meat would have to be frozen or vacuum packed to keep fresh. Freezing will destroy some of the tenderness and flavor, but it is a necessary evil for serving tasty steaks on a long cruise. If a ship is doing 7 day round trips out of FLL, the meat would not have to be frozen. But a 30 day cruise would require some freezing, so that must be taken into consideration when comparing cruise line meat quality. A typical Carnival cruise out of Miami is 7 days, so the Steakhouse can keep their fresh meat unfrozen. HAL usually does longer cruises, so some meat must be frozen for the later days in the cruise.

I’ve only had two or three meals in the PG but one was a seafood stew (foreign name) that was inedible. I like salt but this was a joke. Service was also poor. Of course, I defer to those who have dined there many times.

Your comment about the seafood dish and the service you received is disappointing. But, in my opinion, it's just one more example of the inconsistency that still plagues Holland America from ship to ship.

Their slogan of "Signature of Excellence" was replaced too soon by the "Savor the Journey" before the such "Excellence" was evidenced on ALL of the ships of their fleet.

Your comment about the seafood dish and the service you received is disappointing. But, in my opinion, it's just one more example of the inconsistency that still plagues Holland America from ship to ship.

Their slogan of "Signature of Excellence" was replaced too soon by the "Savor the Journey" before the such "Excellence" was evidenced on ALL of the ships of their fleet.

Agree - I think they are talking about the cioppino (sp?).

I have asked for a taste in the past as has one of my CC friends. On some ships it is VERY salty. I don't know why.

On other ships, it is very good.

The only time I don't ask to taste it in advance is the Prinsendam - otherwise, if I opt to have it, I want a taste first. I don't eat salt ;)

Agree - I think they are talking about the cioppino (sp?).

I have asked for a taste in the past as has one of my CC friends. On some ships it is VERY salty. I don't know why.

On other ships, it is very good.

The only time I don't ask to taste it in advance is the Prinsendam - otherwise, if I opt to have it, I want a taste first. I don't eat salt ;)

Ah, yes that was the name of the dish - thanks! Sounds like I should give it another try someday.

(Looking forward to my first cruise on the Prinsendam!)

Ah, yes that was the name of the dish - thanks! Sounds like I should give it another try someday.

(Looking forward to my first cruise on the Prinsendam!)

Hope you enjoy the P'dam. If you decide to try it again, ask for a taste to be safe. They really don't mind.

Nothing worse than getting a meal you can't eat ;)