USDA Meat grades

zorrosuncle

Leftovers from the Carnival ships...

The best beef entrees that I have ordered in a ship's specialty restaurant have consistently been in the Steakhouses of Carnival Liberty, Carnival Pride, and Carnival Freedom.

Ambiance, service, and other menu items ordered most often exceed my Pinnacle Grill dining experiences.

To me, it is the marbling of the beef that makes the difference. Well-marbled fat rules. Which is why I like much smaller portions - enough taste and calories in a small piece to make the dining experience exceptional. Lean meat is good for stews, but not much else.

Agree, grass fed does have a different taste and fat distribution. Also agree, corn fed is bad news regardless of its far lovelier taste and marbling. I think I'll stick with the pasta.

Marbling of the beef making the difference? YES! "Well-marbled fat rules". I agree.

It would be interesting to compare a properly marbled Rib Eye Steak from a cow fed with grass with one fed from corn.

The best beef entrees that I have ordered in a ship's specialty restaurant have consistently been in the Steakhouses of Carnival Liberty, Carnival Pride, and Carnival Freedom.

Glad someone else said it. If there’s a department where Carnival excels over the competition and has zero reason to envy others is in their specialty steakhouses. They are consistently excellent in quality, taste, and ambiance. The first time I experienced one was aboard the Carnival Liberty and it was superb. Better than the Pinnacle Grill on HAL. Every subsequent experience has been just like the first one. Truly memorable steaks and overall experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Pinnacle used to have a very high quality beef but they changed to different supplier many months ago.

We have been very disappointed in the quality of beef at the Pinnacle...for the past 3-4 years. While it is certainly higher quality then what is served in the MDR (and Lido) it is far from what we would consider steakhouse quality. On the other hand, when they have lunch in the Pinnacle I am a big fan of their burgers. A few years ago they actually used Wagyu Beef...but have since downgraded the quality (and cost to HAL). However, they are still amazing burgers.

Hank

We have been very disappointed in the quality of beef at the Pinnacle...for the past 3-4 years. While it is certainly higher quality then what is served in the MDR (and Lido) it is far from what we would consider steakhouse quality. On the other hand, when they have lunch in the Pinnacle I am a big fan of their burgers. A few years ago they actually used Wagyu Beef...but have since downgraded the quality (and cost to HAL). However, they are still amazing burgers.

Hank

I agree! Lunch in the Pinnacle Grill is more satisfying than dinner usually is.

Quality grade aside, we avoid the steaks in the MDR because of an "off" flavor we've experienced several times, on multiple HAL ships. On the other hand, the prime rib served in the MDR on our recent Prinsendam cruise was very good.

During a galley tour on that same Prinsendam cruise, on a food display table set up in front of the PG cooking area I noted that their steaks are stored in vacuum packs. Just an observation.

In July on the Nieuw Amsterdam my MDR prime rib was very good, the Pinnacle Grill Ribeye was "OK" and the Tamarind Wasabi crusted filet was excellent. That was my same experience in each venue in the past on 3 Nieuw Amsterdam cruises. I I will order a non-beef entree next time in Pinnacle because I do like the overall experience

I agree with Hunky that the Pinnacle experience should be exceptional every time.....otherwise, what's the point? I don't feel it should be a la carte though, the total cost for the meal should include excellent food whether beef, seafood or vegetarian!

~Nancy

I wonder how many Pinnacle dinners are now complimentary, for all the various reasons - Mariner status discounted or free, travel agent perk, onboard compensatory reward, etc.

So the PG extra fee now has to be spread across so many more "complimentary" dinners which makes offering something more premium for the extra price perhaps moot. Which is a shame because it then loses on all counts - it is not an extra perk as the quality is so varied, and it is not worth the full price for those who still must pay full price.

I would not mind paying full price for a guaranteed exceptional experience, regardless of Mariner status. Our last several "free" and discounted for guests, experiences have left was wondering what this the deal with the Pinnacle. Vastly improved from 10 years ago - that I will grant.

But there was an upgraded period when they put in almost too much fuss and pretension, but the food was consistently excellent. Then they switched back to more straight forward steak and chop house, but with very unpredictable quality and overall service levels. We go now only because it is "free" and the atmosphere is a nice change of pace. However, the PG is currently a waste of a very nice space and very good intentions -but all too often mediocre executions.

We also have been on recent cruises with a very high number of 4 and 5 star Mariners - does that account for a drop in PG quality?

"I wonder how many Pinnacle dinners are now complimentary, for all the various reasons - Mariner status discounted or free, travel agent perk, onboard compensatory reward, etc."

That could be a reason for the inconsistency of quality in the PG. The huge discounts and complimentary meals reduce the overall revenue. Therefore costs must be reduced.

Maybe offer a special dessert or complimentary cocktail instead of discounts and comps.

I'm actually surprised that it is USDA anything. I expected it was sourced from Mexico or South America.

As long as the livestock had no hormones added, I am fine with US beef, as it can be of excellent quality and better than most Beef found in Europe.

On a EU ship, I doubt that any US Hormone meat is allowed.

I'm actually surprised that it is USDA anything. I expected it was sourced from Mexico or South America.
There's actually a warning about your commentary on the US agricultural website. Are you like some sort of a mad cow super agent? ;)

I thought grass fed beef is a lot better: 'Besides health benefits, grass-fed meat is better for the economy, the environment, the farmers, and the animals.'

“Better” is a subjective term. This thread, however, is concerned with meat grading. Beef is graded “prime” largely due to its marbling - the fat content which contributes to both flavor and tenderness. Lean beef is healthier for both the environment and the consumer - but for beef to be graded “prime” (and to be posessed of the desirable taste and tenderness) it most frequently must come from grain (not just corn) fed cattle.

I have had Prime tenderloin steaks that were just rubbish as well as good ones. Same for Choice. Just because it received a grade is not 100% guarantee. Also because of the standards if 100 steaks come in from the supplier not all 100 are that grade. There are allowances that some lesser or greater cuts can be within the pack. At my grocery store I am friends with a few of the butchers, going out to dinner and drinks on a regular basis type of friends. They will direct me to go with Choice today as the Prime they got in is not that good.

Last cruise I ordered the "President Cut" Tomahawk steak. It was great but if there was an issue with it I would say something just I have done at Ruth Chris or St. Elmo in Indy.

Cows were never meant to eat corn. Last night I cooked grass fed USDA Prime filet mignon, and you could cut it with a fork. $19.99 a pound from my local farmers market.

Sent from my iPhone while I probably should be working.

Totally agree! Cows should be out in fields eating natural food, not confined to yards eating corn or grain, and being fed hormones and antibiotics!

No free range eggs either!

I’m afraid eating on cruise ships is more a case of making the best of it, rather than the environmentally and ethically friendly experience of eating out in the UK.

Totally agree! Cows should be out in fields eating natural food, not confined to yards eating corn or grain, and being fed hormones and antibiotics!

They wouldn’t need to pump them up with antibiotics if they weren’t standing knee-deep in bulls*#%. Factory farms are dangerous to our health.

They wouldn’t need to pump them up with antibiotics if they weren’t standing knee-deep in bulls*#%. Factory farms are dangerous to our health.

Totally agree! And of course, the hormones are needed to artificially promote growth so the cattle can be slaughtered younger. Saves money on feed!

Having sold beef commercially for 25 years and taken about a dozen HAL cruises I can pretty well assure you most of the beef I've had is USDA choice since actual Prime makes up only 3% or less of all graded beef and is extremely expensive even on a wholesale basis.

There is a level of beef known as "no roll" thats not actually a grade...but usually falls between high select and low choice...border line,so the processor will ask the grader to "no roll" it and its sold as that. I doubt HAL would dabble with that as it can be inconsistent.

IMO the best beef available on the retail market now comes as "Certified Angus Beef". Look for the label at your grocers. Its generally all choice beef but it comes from the top 12% of choice graded beef from select breeders. A bit more costly,but nowhere near Prime prices and a generally superior product.

Happy grilling!