Carnival cruise Line Cheers program? why wont they make it unlimited like RCCL, NCL?

turbot72lou1

Carnival cruise Line Cheers program? Why won't they make it unlimited like RCCL, NCL? they think 15 drinks over a 24 hour period is enough? not even close and they wont let you buy drinks after you hit 15.
15 drinks is not enough? Maybe try a meeting instead of a cruise.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Forums mobile app

Because there is a certain portion of Carnival’s clientele that would abuse the program if the restriction wasn’t there.

Same reason they make every adult in cabin buy it, and why Carnival recently lowered the maximum drink price from $50 to $20.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Carnival cruise Line Cheers program? Why won't they make it unlimited like RCCL, NCL? they think 15 drinks over a 24 hour period is enough? not even close and they wont let you buy drinks after you hit 15.

May I ask how many drinks you feel is reasonable in a 24 hour period? Also, consider prices including gratuity. On NCL it's $106 per day. Carnival's price is $59.74/day (or $65.49 onboard price). I'd say price has A LOT to do with the limit/no limit.

NCL

The Ultimate Beverage Package (ages 21 & older)

Starting from $89.00 USDper person per day

Enjoy a wide selection of soft drinks, beers, spirits, cocktails, wines by the glass and bottled or draft beer up to and including $15 USD during your entire cruise.

Prepaid @ $89.00 USD per person per day x Cruise Days plus 20% gratuity and beverage service charge.

Carnival

CHEERS!

$51.95/DAY

15% gratuity will be added to cart.

Edited by JennyB1977

15 drinks times a minimum of 1 and 1/2 ounces of alcohol per drink = 22 and 1/2 total ounces. Add in a few more ounces if the bartender gets tipped well and has a heavy hand, so say 28 ounces of alcohol.

A fifth of booze is 25 and 3/5 ounces, so the max limit is over a bottle a day. 7 bottles in a week is not social drinking.

A cruise line is definitely in line with putting a top limit on alcohol consumed.

I suspect that is their break even point for making a profit on the drink package and after that they lose money. They sell the Cheers package to make money, not to save the passenger money. If they didn't make money selling the packages they wouldn't sell them.

there is a way around the limit as far as not being permitted to purchase after the 15 drinks has been met... Most of the bartenders (because they like the tips of course and want to keep you happy) if you ask them in advance to warn you, will tell you when you are at the 14th drink. You can then tell them that you dont want to use your package for your drinks and that you prefer to just purchase drinks separately. Then when you are ready for your last drink on your package you can have them use it then

in a 12hour hour period on vacation easily 20 to 25. yes i drink alot on vacation. Also the price thing didnt click until you said that. That makes more sense now. thanks

May I ask how many drinks you feel is reasonable in a 24 hour period? Also, consider prices including gratuity. On NCL it's $106 per day. Carnival's price is $59.74/day (or $65.49 onboard price). I'd say price has A LOT to do with the limit/no limit.

NCL

The Ultimate Beverage Package (ages 21 & older)

Starting from $89.00 USDper person per day

Enjoy a wide selection of soft drinks, beers, spirits, cocktails, wines by the glass and bottled or draft beer up to and including $15 USD during your entire cruise.

Prepaid @ $89.00 USD per person per day x Cruise Days plus 20% gratuity and beverage service charge.

Carnival

CHEERS!

$51.95/DAY

15% gratuity will be added to cart.

In recent months NCL has included their beverage package (or other incentives) as a perk for booking. Of course, the fare actually absorbs this. Carnival Cheers fee for a 15 drink package seems reasonable. If someone gets the limit, it is about a 50% discount. It gives drinkers the ability to control their spending while discouraging people from passing off drinks to others. For most people 15 drinks is enough. If someone wants more that 15 drinks, I am sure they could find someone who is not using Cheers to put a drink on their sign and sail card.

NCL and RCCL let you drink as much as you want almost as long as your not sloppy. Its called vacation drinking not normal everyday social drinking. I party my brains out on vacation then return to real life.

15 drinks times a minimum of 1 and 1/2 ounces of alcohol per drink = 22 and 1/2 total ounces. Add in a few more ounces if the bartender gets tipped well and has a heavy hand, so say 28 ounces of alcohol.

A fifth of booze is 25 and 3/5 ounces, so the max limit is over a bottle a day. 7 bottles in a week is not social drinking.

A cruise line is definitely in line with putting a top limit on alcohol consumed.

Exactly! My reaction to his comment was [emoji33][emoji33][emoji33]. Although I rarely drink more than 3 drinks a day when on a cruise, I know there are many people out there that drink more than me and the Cheers program is worth it, but 15 drinks not enough??? That’s mind boggling! I happen to like to remember my cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

then that means your not a drinker like i am when on vacation. i only normaly drink 3to4 drinks a day at most nights more on football sundays buit less other nights

Because they don't want people to get hurt or sick. To me I will never reach 15 even if you add in coffee and water.

oh i remember my cruises even with drinking

Exactly! My reaction to his comment was [emoji33][emoji33][emoji33]. Although I rarely drink more than 3 drinks a day when on a cruise, I know there are many people out there that drink more than me and the Cheers program is worth it, but 15 drinks not enough??? That’s mind boggling! I happen to like to remember my cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Royal's drink package was very similarly priced on our RC cruise, (they offer lots of discounts/specials, etc that change the price) and it's unlimited per day. HOWEVER, I'd still chose Carnival's 15 a day limit. On RC, if a drink was more than 10-12, I can't remember the exact amount, we had to pay the difference. Which is fine, but just kind of annoying to me. With Carnival, I've never found the $50 drink, or even the new $20, so its one less thing to worry about. I also never hit 15. I think I hit 13 once. lol. I think all cruise lines are pretty much a wash on things like this- it's the squeezing of a balloon- unlimited drinks/lower price max, free drink package/higher cruise fare.... you just have to decide what is the best fit for you and your vacation.

In recent months NCL has included their beverage package (or other incentives) as a perk for booking. Of course, the fare actually absorbs this. Carnival Cheers fee for a 15 drink package seems reasonable. If someone gets the limit, it is about a 50% discount. It gives drinkers the ability to control their spending while discouraging people from passing off drinks to others. For most people 15 drinks is enough. If someone wants more that 15 drinks, I am sure they could find someone who is not using Cheers to put a drink on their sign and sail card.

NCL and RCCL let you drink as much as you want almost as long as your not sloppy. Its called vacation drinking not normal everyday social drinking. I party my brains out on vacation then return to real life.

NCL often does include the price of the package in your cruise fare and still charges you the 20% gratuity.

Both NCL and RCL have significantly lower max drink price than Carnival and both have higher average drink prices than Carnival.

If you find the $20 drink on Carnival, that is up to a $300 value/day with a 15 drink limit.

We've hit the 15/day but sometimes it's simply because we may not finish a drink. I drink beer but don't like warm beer. If my drink is warm and I still have some left, I just get a new one as opposed to guzzling a warm one.... YUCK! It's not always about trying to get crazy with as many as we can handle. Cheers!