My take on Aqua Class

Zenica

I've taken 3 X cruises and they've all been in AQ. We took a June 2018 cruise on Norwegian Getaway and I say " never again" to NCL. Unless you're in Haven( as our friends were who we travelled with), I would not travel NCL again. Our 3 experiences on X in AQ were great, our rooms were always amazing and clean. I'm back doing research for a cruise next year on X. AQ is a bargain for what you get in comparison to Haven on NCL.

IMHO, wear and tear is one thing (though there needs to be a reasonable point beyond which it should not be allowed degenerate before refurbishment is done), but there is no excuse whatsoever for mold, especially to the extent shown on these photos. Mold is easily dealt with by the room steward using the appropriate mold cleaning solutions. I can't understand why the OP feels the room steward was so amazing if he did not clean the mold, or report it to his superiors for assistance. I personally would not have accepted a bathroom in such a gross and unhygienic state.

I praised our Steward because he did try to keep on top of the mold, if he hadn't been cleaning it twice daily, it would have been far worse. I used Clorox wipes myself before utilizing the bathroom...but when there is that much water in a confined space with what seems like zero ventilation, mold will happen.

What would prevent it is using mold inhibiting materials, ventilation and confining the water to the shower. It seems like none of these measures are in place. I've stayed in hotels in NY where space is a premium to Vegas where grandiose is the motto and I've stayed exclusively in the Haven on NCL, never before have I seen this level of neglect.

My TA reached out to Celebrity. I was advised to expect a call. I feel bad for the person occupying that cabin right now but hopefully their A/C continues to operate correctly.

We were on the Summit in July, in Aqua, on deck 9 and our bathroom was fine. If I walked into a cabin and found mold I would have bypassed the cabin steward and gone right to guest relations with pictures in hand asking to be moved immediately. We had a nice bathroom, yes the shower door leaked so we aimed the shower head in a tiny bit and it was much better but no mold, no other bathroom issues and we had a great cruise.

We were on the Summit in July, in Aqua, on deck 9 and our bathroom was fine. If I walked into a cabin and found mold I would have bypassed the cabin steward and gone right to guest relations with pictures in hand asking to be moved immediately. We had a nice bathroom, yes the shower door leaked so we aimed the shower head in a tiny bit and it was much better but no mold, no other bathroom issues and we had a great cruise.

It is my understanding that cruise ships always depart at 100% capacity. They don't allow cabins to remain empty unless an unusual circumstance happened such as a passenger not arriving in time or at all. Can they legally even put someone in there? What if the paying passenger took a flight to the first port of call?

In a land based hotel, there is usually an unoccupied room the hotel staff can use when issues arise and I've had to be moved a few times for various reasons but I've also been told the hotel was at capacity and could not accommodate moving me until someone checked out. Usually that meant putting up with what ever the issue is, the last time that happened was in San Diego at Comic Con and the issue was not minor, the shower's hot water was a trickle making it more like an ice bucket challenge. They went to replace a valve, the one behind the pull knob but didn't have the right one. A 30 minute fix became a two day repair with multiple incursions into our room.

Sometimes you have to weight the negative against any gain and in our case, we avoided the bathroom to mitigate the negative. if we didn't have access to the Spa shower it might have been different.

Does anyone have a link to the official Celebrity page regarding the 2019 dry dock refit?

I'm looking for information related to the scope of work being done. I've been advised by a few what some changes

to expect but it has all been verbal, I'd like to read it from Celebrity. So far I have only found information as it relates to

the Suite class, no mention of Aqua class.

Zenica, cruise lines to try to sail full but they don't always. Our trip on the Summit was not full, despite the deep discounting after the final payment date. My rule with mold is if I see it, I say something. If it is there on day 2 I escalate my complaint while on the ship. We had a bathroom problem on our cruise to Norway last May. It was Royal, not Celebrity but the same family. One day 3 our toilets would not flush in the morning, then they would flush on their own later, same thing happened on day 4. It was hit and miss. It was not just our cabin. By day 5 it was most of the starboard side of the ship. Apparently something was clogging the lines and they were "trying to fix it". After day 3 we got a tray of sweets delivered to our room, after day 4 and a visit to guest realtions we got sweets and champagne....at day 5 it was another visit to the guest relations and we were offer 15% vouchers for a future cruise. When I got home I emailed Royal's corporate office and got a phone call. We spent half an hour on the phone discussing the issue and working out the details of the future travel credit. If you don't speak up, they never know and they cannot make amends. So if we ever decide to go on a Royal cruise in the next few years we have some free money to add to it. Speak up, do it nicely but be firm. You deserved more than you got, it is that simple.

Zenica, cruise lines to try to sail full but they don't always. Our trip on the Summit was not full, despite the deep discounting after the final payment date. My rule with mold is if I see it, I say something. If it is there on day 2 I escalate my complaint while on the ship. We had a bathroom problem on our cruise to Norway last May. It was Royal, not Celebrity but the same family. One day 3 our toilets would not flush in the morning, then they would flush on their own later, same thing happened on day 4. It was hit and miss. It was not just our cabin. By day 5 it was most of the starboard side of the ship. Apparently something was clogging the lines and they were "trying to fix it". After day 3 we got a tray of sweets delivered to our room, after day 4 and a visit to guest realtions we got sweets and champagne....at day 5 it was another visit to the guest relations and we were offer 15% vouchers for a future cruise. When I got home I emailed Royal's corporate office and got a phone call. We spent half an hour on the phone discussing the issue and working out the details of the future travel credit. If you don't speak up, they never know and they cannot make amends. So if we ever decide to go on a Royal cruise in the next few years we have some free money to add to it. Speak up, do it nicely but be firm. You deserved more than you got, it is that simple.

What ship? Will make sure to put it on our avoidance list!

What ship? Will make sure to put it on our avoidance list!

The Independence of the Sea, just out of dry dock.....we enjoyed the cruise, Norway is amazing, good crew, good food but it always felt crowded and then there was the toilet problem. Not all day but on and off. It would have helped if they had sent out a notice. They kill a dozen trees each day printing ads so why not print a notice about a plumbing issue that eventually effect half the ship for a day?

Just out of dry dock? That does not bode well for building confidence although for a mechanical marvel on the scale of a 965 foot long ship with a thousand cabins, malfunctions are expected. Are cruise ships put through a shake down sailing? A cousin of my wife is married to someone that does contract work refitting cruise ships. His work always entails a few days with the entire work detail taking the ship on a 3 or 4 day cruise, living on the ship as a passenger would.

@Ereggae;

The link you gave doesn't list specifics about what will be addressed during the refit.

The Celebrity ship page only states

"As part of our $500-million fleet-wide modernization program, in February 2019, Celebrity Summit® will making even more waves in the cruise world. From adding brand new staterooms and elevating design concepts and technology across the ship to adding a private The Retreat Sun Deck and The Retreat Lounge for our Suite Class guests, this stunner will be turning heads more than ever. Slip into new eXhaleTM bedding featuring CashmereSM mattresses that will surround you in luxury—literally. Marvel at completely new bathroom modernizations. Wine and dine in reimagined restaurants and lounges, including the main dining room, Oceanview Café, Sunset Bar, and Rendezvous Lounge. Surrender your senses in the newly redesigned spa. Shop in new retail boutiques. The Celebrity RevolutionSM will change the way you experience the world aboard Celebrity Summit."

Nothing is mentioned about non suite class cabins. This concerns me because we really LOVED Bermuda. The people, the island, the ----well, the everything. So much so that we rebooked the same cruise next year. Primarily because it allows for a full 2 days to enjoy all the island has to offer without a clock dictating our time management. NCL has the same itinerary but I'd really prefer NOT to sail NCL again. As a fellow Summit passenger phrased it, the No Class Line. That play on words certainly is reconciled by my own experiences with NCL.

Does anyone have a link to more specific Celebrity information about the pending refit?

Celebrity simply is not maintaining their millennium class ships to the standard they should be. We were on Summit last Summer and the upholstery in the lounges and bars was absolutely filthy. I was even shocked at condition of some of the upholstery on the Eclipse this summer. They need to pay attention to these kinds of details and clean the fabrics and drapes etc. Disgusting at times.

I couldn't agree more.

The chairs smell like farts and I am not kidding.:eek::o

Concerning the syrup. If you are on a cruise to Quebec you can get pure maple syrup right from the source to use on board 🤗. It won’t be any better or different than the same pure maple syrup that you can buy from Costco except for the price. Costco is much cheaper. The only difference is in Quebec you can get light medium or dark.

We folks from Vermont pack our own! :')

We just returned from a seven day cruise to Bermuda aboard the Celebrity Summit.

We were in Aqua class on deck nine. Our Steward was Antonio/Anthony, depending on his name tag or how he would sign a note left that day...

29nYq64

Do you mind if I ask what cabin you were in? We're sailing on the Summit repo on 10/21, in AQ on deck 9...of course your post has me concerned. The condition of that bathroom is unacceptable!

I've taken 3 X cruises and they've all been in AQ. We took a June 2018 cruise on Norwegian Getaway and I say " never again" to NCL. Unless you're in Haven( as our friends were who we travelled with), I would not travel NCL again. Our 3 experiences on X in AQ were great, our rooms were always amazing and clean. I'm back doing research for a cruise next year on X. AQ is a bargain for what you get in comparison to Haven on NCL.

Did you have a molded bathroom on NCL Getaway too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you mind if I ask what cabin you were in? We're sailing on the Summit repo on 10/21, in AQ on deck 9...of course your post has me concerned. The condition of that bathroom is unacceptable!

It was cabin 9048. So far, Celebrity has not called me. I called a number provided by my TA. The person took my information and gave me an email address to send the images to. I did that via Facebook but now they say those images never came through although the FB messenger app shows them uploaded fine.

Thus far, their handling of it is now making what was once a single issue an matter of two concerns. We vacation for 8 weeks a year ranging from cruises to flights to London or Paris to east coast resorts like Disney or Universal and when ever an issue arises, the more reputable companies tend to rectify things or remediate them. Celebrity seems disinterested in doing anything, as the stateroom condition suggests.

I just received a call from Celebrity. We had a delightful conversation about the pending refit, the Edge and of course, our recent Summit experience. We ended the call on a positive note and I feel much better going forward with regard to how their customer service handles such issues. There was a delay in their response but I accept responsibility for that in that I mistakenly believed their FB page would be an effective means of communicating with them. I have so little free time that I prefer email, web chat and PM's over phone calls. I can multitask with a keyboard in a way I can't when on the phone, if I try thinking in C++ but speaking in English, the result is jibbering code!

I won't elaborate with the remedy they provided, suffice it to say it exceeded my expectations and solidifies my loyalty to the line.

I just received a call from Celebrity. We had a delightful conversation about the pending refit, the Edge and of course, our recent Summit experience. We ended the call on a positive note and I feel much better going forward with regard to how their customer service handles such issues. There was a delay in their response but I accept responsibility for that in that I mistakenly believed their FB page would be an effective means of communicating with them. I have so little free time that I prefer email, web chat and PM's over phone calls. I can multitask with a keyboard in a way I can't when on the phone, if I try thinking in C++ but speaking in English, the result is jibbering code!

I won't elaborate with the remedy they provided, suffice it to say it exceeded my expectations and solidifies my loyalty to the line.

Very happy to hear this. Thank you for the update.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Forums mobile app

We sailed on the Summit in August in an AQ cabin. We had no mold issues, Blu was great. Jesus, our cabin steward was wonderful. It was our 6th time on the Summit. We booked another cruise for the post dry dock. Looking forward to seeing the changes. The pool was crazy crowded on sea days, but we knew this going in so avoided the pool areas on sea days and went in the afternoons of port days. The Bermuda cruise is a unique demographic with so many families which is why we chose AQ and ate in the MDR for lunch on sea days. After 25 cruises you learn the best ways to enjoy your cruise.