Cremains at sea

Mr Sea Gull

18 hours ago, Fogfog said:

Thanks for this post. I emailed Captains Club on Saturday as I have the cremains of my mom and dad...

Did the original mortician provide you the container? I have the cremains in their original sealed bags/boxes. Have seen online cremains shells etc for burial at sea.

All advice welcome

TYIA f

Unless you really feel the need to, do not waste money on most of the "biodegradable" urns that are "sea salt".  A simple, basically paper mache urn is all that is needed, and 1/4 the price.  You can either get the mortician to order one or get one yourself and have any mortician transfer the remains.

17 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Thanks for sharing and our condolences on your loss.

Does Celebrity charge you for the Event Coordinator and other arrangements? 

Typically, no, but I can't answer for Celebrity specifically.

18 hours ago, Fogfog said:

Thanks for this post. I emailed Captains Club on Saturday as I have the cremains of my mom and dad...

Did the original mortician provide you the container? I have the cremains in their original sealed bags/boxes. Have seen online cremains shells etc for burial at sea.

All advice welcome

TYIA f

Sorry for your loss.  

We purchased a journey water urn which is just like a large envelope made from biodegradable thick paper. I believe they do them in a companion size for cremains of couples. There are lots of biodegradable urns suitable for sea burial available online but try to ensure the company will provide proof of biodegradability as the ship requires it.

Best wishes

On 1/8/2019 at 9:01 AM, Mr Sea Gull said:

Sorry for your loss.  

We purchased a journey water urn which is just like a large envelope made from biodegradable thick paper. I believe they do them in a companion size for cremains of couples. There are lots of biodegradable urns suitable for sea burial available online but try to ensure the company will provide proof of biodegradability as the ship requires it.

Best wishes

TY

Thats what I was looking at -- a companion item like you are describing.  I will be sure to get the paperwork that describe it being biodegradible   I have the other paperwork in order.  

Mom and Dad had been together over 50 yrs of marriage plus dating etc... He passed about 100 days after her. 

I think this burial will take more out of me than I expect-- When I watched the video of how these companion envelope types of containers work etc.. I found myself crying. Its going to be emotional-- as it should be.

I need to call Celebrity--they have not responded to the email 

Best to you too

fog

Just called Celebrity since they had not responded to the email from Saturday

Have sent an email to the dept who handles the requests.  Don't know if I need a form or letter from them acknowledging bringing the cremains onboard. I have the other paperwork and will have the proper biodegr. container.

TY again to the OP who posted this thread. Help to those of us in the "same boat"

Best

fogfog

OP, thank you for sharing your story. I was once privileged to scatter from a high peak the remains of one who had been a passionate rock climber. That link between the person, their interests and desires, and the final resting for their cremains is hard to describe, but it is very real in so many ways.

Stan

On 9/6/2018 at 3:31 PM, Mr Sea Gull said:

Just in case anyone is interested in sending cremains off via a Celebrity ship I thought our recent experience may help.

We are from the UK and after booking our holiday on the Celebrity Silhouette to the Baltics I contacted the Captains Club to ask them if it was possible to do. It was quite a poignant trip as my Father was a merchant seaman and his last ever cruise was to the Baltics.

Captains Club emailed the ship Event Co-ordinator who provided details of what we would need regarding the paperwork and proof of biodegradable urn. We then confirmed that we would like to go ahead and agreed to contact the Event Co-ordinator once we boarded.

We already had the necessary paperwork and purchased a biodegradable urn suitable for deep sea burials, we asked the company to give us a letter of proof of biodegradability which they were happy to do.

Everything in order we boarded the ship with no issues at security, we were prepared with all the paperwork should anyone question the contents of the urn which we carried as hand luggage. Once on board we went immediately to guest services and made contact with the Event Co-ordinator who was already expecting us. They photocopied all the relevant paperwork and asked us where we would like to have the sea burial and they checked with the bridge if and when it could be arranged. A couple of days later they contacted us in our stateroom and gave us dates and times that would be suitable. We arranged to meet at the pre-arranged time with the Event Co-ordinator who took us to a quiet part of the ship and had a rose for us to put with the urn, we advised when we were ready to go ahead so that the co-ordinates could be recorded for the ship log.

We dropped the urn and rose from deck 5, it stayed intact which would then have taken a few moments to absorb the water before sinking but as we were moving we didn't see it go under. It was quite surreal at this point but a great moment as committing my Father's ashes to the sea was his final wish.

A few days later a certificate signed by the captain was delivered to our stateroom with the co-ordinates.

Celebrity were fantastic and we really felt that they honoured a fellow seaman's wishes. As someone who loved to travel his ashes travel on in the ocean forever.

This is amazing. I had no idea they would do this. My husband and I had both said we would want this. I’m glad I’d don’t have to figure out how to sneak him on board. 

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 9:22 AM, jpsykes said:

Wife's father was buried at sea a few years ago having served on the Enterprise during WW2 - her mom is nervous about it as "she does not want all the fishes swimming around her".

My father served on the Big E  (CV-6) as well.  He was always so proud of her.   Took me to a couple of Enterprise reunions.   Salute to the brave crew of the most decorated ship in the Navy.

To the OP....my deepest condolences.    So glad you brought your story here.    I've often thought that when the day comes, this is how I want to be sent off.

On 1/9/2019 at 8:05 PM, Fogfog said:

Just called Celebrity since they had not responded to the email from Saturday

Have sent an email to the dept who handles the requests.  Don't know if I need a form or letter from them acknowledging bringing the cremains onboard. I have the other paperwork and will have the proper biodegr. container.

TY again to the OP who posted this thread. Help to those of us in the "same boat"

Best

fogfog

I did have to contact Celebrity a few times for updates as Captains Club had to contact the ship event co-ordinator who took time to get back to them. The only acknowledgement I had to take the cremains on board was an email from Captains Club confirming that I needed to contact the event co-ordinator once we boarded. I also kept the cremains in my hand luggage as it was easier to confirm what they were if challenged as I had all the relevant paperwork.

Once on the ship it was all very straight forward and they were expecting us.

On 1/13/2019 at 4:53 AM, GottaKnowWhen said:

OP, thank you for sharing your story. I was once privileged to scatter from a high peak the remains of one who had been a passionate rock climber. That link between the person, their interests and desires, and the final resting for their cremains is hard to describe, but it is very real in so many ways.

Stan

I wholeheartedly agree.

19 hours ago, Mr Sea Gull said:

I did have to contact Celebrity a few times for updates as Captains Club had to contact the ship event co-ordinator who took time to get back to them. The only acknowledgement I had to take the cremains on board was an email from Captains Club confirming that I needed to contact the event co-ordinator once we boarded. I also kept the cremains in my hand luggage as it was easier to confirm what they were if challenged as I had all the relevant paperwork.

TY

I guess I am going to have to call Celebrity again

First email to OneTouch at X etc..no response

First Call--the gentleman said that certainly someone would get back to me from my first email (still no response from first email) and he gave me a second email address.

Second Email -emailed that address from phone call  and got an auto response that someone would be in touch. No luck with that either

I will contact the Captains Club AGAIN and ask that they put me in touch with the Events Coordinator on the ship...

Planning to carry on everything, papers in hand etc. The first call to X--the gentleman did say that they needed to know etc. 

On 1/14/2019 at 3:03 PM, Mr Sea Gull said:

Checking in to say -yes had to reach Celebrity several times before I got some direction.

I had emailed the CelebrityOneTouch and got no response.

I Called Captains Club--and the gentleman said he was sure someone would reach out to me BUT to also email another dept.

I emailed that dept and got no response from them --nor from "someone" from Captains Club. 

I then re-emailed that dept "in charge". Still Nothing.

THEN I emailed Captains Club detailing the dates/methods of trying to get an answer over a couple of weeks

Finally got a phone call and email confirming what I understood of docs/container and to go to Guest Services etc.

Just got off the phone with a lovely young lady who walked through it with me. Hopefully no issues come up at embarkation.

Fingers crossed

TY MR Sea Gull for your helpful post. 

15 hours ago, Fogfog said:

Checking in to say -yes had to reach Celebrity several times before I got some direction.

I Called Captains Club--and the gentleman said he was sure someone would reach out to me BUT to also email another dept.

I emailed that dept and got no response from them --nor from "someone" from Captains Club. 

THEN I emailed Captains Club detailing the dates/methods of trying to get an answer over a couple of weeks

Finally got a phone call and email confirming what I understood of docs/container and to go to Guest Services etc.

Just got off the phone with a lovely young lady who walked through it with me. Hopefully no issues come up at embarkation.

Fingers crossed

I hope it all goes smoothly for you and makes for a memorable cruise.

• 1 month later...
On 9/6/2018 at 3:31 PM, Mr Sea Gull said:

As someone who loved to travel his ashes travel on in the ocean forever.

What a beautiful thought! I am so sorry for your loss but may you find comfort in the fact that you honored your father’s wishes so beautifully! In addition, you’ve provided great information for those who may wish to do the same.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/22/2019 at 12:17 PM, Fogfog said:

Fingers crossed

Hi Fog. Going through this process now with Celebrity. What document did you provide to satisfy this requirement: "The remains have been cremated by a facility licensed to perform these services and the guest carries a certification of the compliant cremation." ? None of the documents from either of my in-laws specify compliance. They just list their state license number. Here in California the Mortuary doesn't know what we're talking about, neither did the State Cemetery and Funeral Bureau.

Thanks for any help.

8 minutes ago, sasset said:

Hi Fog. Going through this process now with Celebrity. What document did you provide to satisfy this requirement: "The remains have been cremated by a facility licensed to perform these services and the guest carries a certification of the compliant cremation." ? None of the documents from either of my in-laws specify compliance. They just list their state license number. Here in California the Mortuary doesn't know what we're talking about, neither did the State Cemetery and Funeral Bureau.

Thanks for any help.

@sasset

Hey there.

You will need the death cert. and the card/doc that came with the cremains that is signed/certifies the WHO and what the contents is--that it is Mr xyz cremains... and is signed by the licensed Mortician that did the cremation.

In our case--the cremains are in a bag-- The bag in which the ashes are contained was closed and sealed with a proper metal tag/wired to the bag etc. that indicates it was a licensed mortician/crematorium.

That box was then in a nicer plain black box (plastic). And labelled. and then inside a cardboard box. Lots of layers

BTW cremains are sterile. 

The cremains will be transferred to approved  proper biodegradable bags and those bags will go into a bio-degradable paper container that is approved/marked as for burial at sea.  All of the docs are important because ship MUST document anything that goes overboard. This is not something you can just do off the balcony of your stateroom.

The contacts at Celebrity have supposedly noted in our file that when we board in 3 weeks--that I will be bringing the cremains of my parents. I am to go to GS and speak with the Events Coordinator. The Captain/Events Coordinator will decide on the when/where of the burial at sea. 

The cremains MUST be brought as a carry-on with the docs and I am also taking all emails etc with Celebrity.

Hope that helps.

Best

fog

On 1/22/2019 at 12:17 PM, Fogfog said:

Fingers crossed

Thanks so much.

• Like 1

Mr Sea Gull and Fogfog,

Thank you both so very much for the important information you have provided. My condolences to you both for your losses.

I plan to have my ashes spread at sea by my niece. However, she only sails Carnival. Just in case anyone wants to know how Carnival handles it, click here https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1132/~/bringing-cremated-ashes-on-board-%2F-burial-at-sea for Bringing Cremated Ashes on Board / Burial at Sea.

Thanks again for your information,

Kat 🐈