Panama Canal, Ft Lauderdale to L.A. or L.A. to Ft Lauderdale

Buck Turgidson

I've read where some people prefer one way over the other and was curious as to why. Ships involved are the Volendam and Amsterdam. Thank You:). I'm aware one ship goes to San Diego and the other leaves from San Pedro.

Edited by Buck Turgidson

If you read around, a common reason for preferring west bound is you gain time. East bound you lose time.

Some people have preferences as to when their long flight might be. For example, if you live on the East Coast, you might want the flight before the cruise, so they depart from the West Coast.

All personal preference, no right or wrong answer. No "best" way. Have done both, didn't notice any significant advantage either way.

Have sailed on both ships -- like the Amsterdam better than the Volendam -- JMO

Have also done the full transit both ways several times. Really don't have a preference. To us it is great either way.

What ports are on each itinerary?

East to West hits Half Moon Cay but West to East does not,

East to West - double locks, better views of the new cargo ship canal along the side where it enters back into the common canal, and lots more to see of early interest.

Best of all for us is locating the remnants of the early French canal dig, along the starboard side. Something very haunting about seeing this, knowing the history of the failed prior attempts which made the US completed project even more spectacular. Always fun to see the new bridge construction in progress at that eastern entrance too. Will it be done yet when we see it in a few days?

Quite honestly the interest in the experience wanes as the day goes on so by the time one gets to the locks on the Pacific end, the crowds are way down. But the early am crowds and enthusiasm for the multiple treats at the Eastern end are to be the best part. We always stay out as long as possible because the process is totally fascinating.

Each time we see and learn more - including the changes we have seen after the control of the canal was handed over to the Panamanians - things seem less organized, tightly run and not in good repair - we have been transiting the canal since the 1970's.

The Canal is equally rewarding in either direction. The preferences lie with whether you prefer to gain an hour/loose an hour (we are talking 3 hours over 2 weeks, not a big deal), how it is most convenient to get to the port and then get home... I like west to east so when we get to Florida... I' m home.

Copper, they've done a lot since that photo. I took this one on August 23. It should be almost ready to open when I go under it on the Elegant Explorer.

2121692041_atlanticc(Custom).JPG.c92992b748d9d7acf01b7ca2bee410f4.JPG

I think of the cruises mentioned I like the October 2019 or April 2020 on the Volendam. I prefer Curacau and Aruba over Cartagena.

Roy

I have done the Panama canal cruise from both directions as well, but starting or ending in Vancouver. Going west to east, I have often experienced storms on the Washington and Oregon coast. It seems to be a bit wetter on the west coast of Central America as well and when you enter the Caribbean, you are still in the tail end of the hurricane season and so might get bumpy rides. Going west, this is the dry season and so the island and Central American might not be so lush. But, the weather is warmer since you will be heading into summer. I leave on the 26th of this month on the Volendam from Vancouver to FLL. This will be my third time and I am keeping my fingers crossed for good weather.

Most of my transits have been from the Pacific to the Atlantic. The last one was from the Atlantic to the Pacific. The primary difference between the two routes involves the "other ports" and "where is the long flight". As far as the transit goes, each is magical in its own way.

It may be my imagination, but it seemed to me that the logjam of ships was greater on the Pacific side for the early morning transit. I enjoyed watching the sun rise over the huge container ships waiting to enter the canal.

This was matched by seeing the remnants of the French Dig off the starboard side when sailing from the Atlantic to the Pacific. It was amazing!

Look at the ports, consider when the "long flight" will happen, look at the ship -- the decision as to which Panama Canal transit to take is very personal. Whatever you decide, you will be happy.

Copper, they've done a lot since that photo. I took this one on August 23. It should be almost ready to open when I go under it on the Elegant Explorer.

[ATTACH]428005[/ATTACH]

I think of the cruises mentioned I like the October 2019 or April 2020 on the Volendam. I prefer Curacau and Aruba over Cartagena.

Roy

Thanks for that update pic, Roy! It is anticipated to be completed sometime "in the middle of 2018" unless of course delays have been encountered. A French Company is building it

Thanks for that update pic, Roy! It is anticipated to be completed sometime "in the middle of 2018" unless of course delays have been encountered. A French Company is building it

Didn't a French company start the original canal in the early 1900s? Hope this French co. has more success.

Roz

Didn't a French company start the original canal in the early 1900s? Hope this French co. has more success.

Roz

Isn't it amazing. The country that gave us the failed Panama Canal also gave us Citreon, Peugeot, as well as the Suez Canal, Eiffel Tower, and Statue of Liberty.

Roy

We are coming from Ft Lauerdale to San Diego. Hopefully we will have good sea days. Leave Oct 19th arrive in San Diego Nov 3rd. Flight is arranged for 1:00 PM that day back to Ft Lauderdale. Will stay the night in Ft Lauderdale and then drive home. Back home on Nov 4th.