NCL Ultimate Beverage Package, Unlimited Open Bar

vpearlkc

Since I booked our cruise suite in feb 2017 things have changed. The ship has changed, we are now on the Breakaway in a haven suite. We did not have to pay gratuities on the ultimate beverage package and it included any drink up to $15. Now the NCL website is advertising an unlimited open bar package that lists draft as the beer option as one of the perks. They are still selling the ultimate beverage package with the $15 dollar limit online. My question is for anyone who has been on a recent cruise with the drink package booked before the change. Will we be grandfathered in and get the ultimate beverage package or have to settle for the unlimited open bar?

Thanks for any input.

It is the same thing. NCL just like to confuse people by calling things by different names.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally, I think they changed the name to make it less confusing. IMO, under the old name (Ultimate Beverage Package), people assumed that coffee drinks and bottled water would be included. Now the name (Unlimited Open Bar) implies alcoholic drinks or soda from the bars.

You have.

Thanks for the information. It is good to know that I will still be able to get a bottle of beer and a decent martini. I wonder how the bartenders will keep these different drink packages straight. It scared me when I saw the draft beer disclaimer on the NCL website. :)

Thanks for the information. It is good to know that I will still be able to get a bottle of beer and a decent martini. I wonder how the bartenders will keep these different drink packages straight. It scared me when I saw the draft beer disclaimer on the NCL website. :)

There aren’t any different packages for them to keep track of. It is just one package.

I can’t see what you are seeing on the website, but there is no way that they restrict it to draft beer. Very few bars even carry draft beer. If such a restriction was ever brought in then this board would melt down within seconds of the first mention of it.

There aren’t any different packages for them to keep track of. It is just one package.

I can’t see what you are seeing on the website, but there is no way that they restrict it to draft beer. Very few bars even carry draft beer. If such a restriction was ever brought in then this board would melt down within seconds of the first mention of it.

I agree, I don't see where the worry is coming from.

An exact quote from the NCL website when the details link is hit below the five free offers list.

"Guests 1 and 2 enjoy all the spirits and cocktails, wines by the glass, draft beer and juice and soda they want."

Under the ultimate beverage package fine print "draft or bottled beer" is listed.

I have not seen the above description of the beverage package before.

An exact quote from the NCL website when the details link is hit below the five free offers list.

"Guests 1 and 2 enjoy all the spirits and cocktails, wines by the glass, draft beer and juice and soda they want."

Under the ultimate beverage package fine print "draft or bottled beer" is listed.

I have not seen the above description of the beverage package before.

Ultimate Beverage Package (Unlimited Open Bar):

Applicable to guests 1-2 on the reservation.

Guest must be at least 21 years of age at time of sailing to qualify for the Ultimate Beverage Package. Guests under 21 will receive the pop package.

Eligible guests are entitled to one beverage per person per transaction.

Includes a variety of spirits and cocktails, wines by the glass and bottled or draft beer up to $15 USD. Includes fountain pop and juice, and non-alcoholic beer.

This is what I see in the fine terms & conditions.

Ultimate Beverage Package (Unlimited Open Bar):

Applicable to guests 1-2 on the reservation.

Guest must be at least 21 years of age at time of sailing to qualify for the Ultimate Beverage Package. Guests under 21 will receive the pop package.

Eligible guests are entitled to one beverage per person per transaction.

Includes a variety of spirits and cocktails, wines by the glass and bottled or draft beer up to $15 USD. Includes fountain pop and juice, and non-alcoholic beer.

This is what I see in the fine terms & conditions.

This is interesting. I too found a page where it stated that the policy was one (1) beverage per person BUT I also found on their on board packages terms and conditions the following:

The Ultimate Beverage Package does not include room service, package sales, ship specific promotions or beer buckets, designated Super Premium brands (subject to change), bottled wine, mini bar purchases, bottled water, fresh squeezed juices, select Lavazza coffee beverages, energy drinks, vending machines, wine stations or spirits, cocktails, draft or bottled beer and glasses of wine over $15 USD. Two (2) beverages per transaction. Package can be used in all restaurants, lounges, bars and Great Stirrup Cay. Any items over $15 USD will receive a $15 USD discount and the guest will be charged the difference to their account. Ultimate Beverage Package is not available for purchase on charters, sailings that are two (2) days or less, the Pride of America or Harvest Caye.

This is what we were experiencing in March, the big difference being Two (2) beverages per transaction. Which makes sense since most people travel as couples, who both have to have the package if the other has it, most of those couples stay together, and most couples send only one person to the bar to get the drinks.

This policy was changed just a few months prior to our trip Mar 18. I hope they haven't changed it back.

And by the way, we drank whatever we wanted. Never had a concern about what type of alcoholic beverage or soft drink. The bartenders just swiped the card and the magic machine told them not to worry and they went to the next customer.

Be careful, there are martinis that exceed $15. You’ll have to pay the difference in price.

The "one per transaction" vs "two per transaction" has flip-flopped several times. In reality, the bartenders won't have a problem with 2 per after the bartenders get to know you and know that you aren't trying to gift drinks to people without a drink package. For those who do try to gift drinks, know that people have been caught and their package has been revoked without service charge refund.

We sailed the Bliss on 8/25 and you could get bottles of beer... they didn't seem too stingy about the 2 drinks thing if you weren't being an idiot about it.. and we did pay the 20% gratuity fee. Are you sure you didn't pay gratuities when you booked?

The OP says they are in the Haven. Back when they booked you didn’t need to pay the gratuities if booked in a Suite.

I was watching a video of changes Carnival made to their drink package. I was shocked at the difference compared to NCL. Not only is the drink package less, they also only charge 15% instead of 20% gratuity.

NCL has a maximum of $15 per drink. Carnival allowed $50 per drink which was reduced to $20. Carnival package includes bottled water, soda, specialty coffees and (get this) milkshakes. LMAO

Now THAT is an Ultimate Drink Package

I think NCL and Carnival should switch drink package names. NCL should be "Cheers" and Carnival should be "Ultimate Drink Package."

I was watching a video of changes Carnival made to their drink package. I was shocked at the difference compared to NCL. Not only is the drink package less, they also only charge 15% instead of 20% gratuity.

NCL has a maximum of $15 per drink. Carnival allowed $50 per drink which was reduced to $20. Carnival package includes bottled water, soda, specialty coffees and (get this) milkshakes. LMAO

I think NCL and Carnival should switch drink package names. NCL should be "Cheers" and Carnival should be "Ultimate Drink Package."

It's so much easier to say "Cheers" for John Heald" so that couldn't happen. LOL

I wonder how many people actually pay for the UBP? I know I never would.

The NCL drink package is the most inferior at sea.

It also has a cap on drinks per day, which NCL doesn’t. So superior in some ways, inferior in others.