Azamara, Greenwich to Lisbon: Pirouette’s observations

Pirouette

A lovely day wine tasting in Margaux. We booked a shared independent tour for half a day. We had 8 people in the group, 7 from the cruise. We spent a great afternoon being transported in a Mercedes coach, much cheaper and more intimate than the ship’s tour. We will do a full day in St Emilion tomorrow.

Dinner in Discoveries was excellent (at least the food), but again the service was off. They cannot seem to coordinate the wine with the meal. Wine service is always slow. In fairness, we arrived at “rush hour” and service was rushed and not particularly attentive.

We have been very impressed with the ever changing menu. Food is subjective. Oceania claims to have the best food at sea. Azamara , to our taste, is better. We also prefer the variety in food offerings to our recent experience on both Regent and Silversea. We have not felt the need to explore specialty dining yet. Too bad about the quality of the wines on Azamara. They really need improvement. It also interrupts the flow of the evening (or lunch) to have to produce our key card each time.

The bar seems to struggle with included vs non included beverages, always checking their computer to verify. I wish there was another way....

We are docked here overnight and will do an all day wine tour of St Emilion tomorrow through the same company we used today. Tomorrow is also the White Night party which should be a lot of fun.

This is the first warm day and we has the opportunity to observe the pool deck and the sun deck. Both are beautifully maintained, far superior to the aging Seven Seas Mariner (Regent) and the Silver Shadow (Silversea) that we experienced earlier this year. Their wine offerings are far superior however.

So far an enjoyable cruise. I wish they could make the service more seamless and consistent, but nothing is perfect.

More tomorrow.

Pirouette

Really enjoying your Blog, we were in Bordeaux earlier this year, can you confirm where you are docked in relation to the city, please.

If anyone wants to visit a Wine Bar/ Cave in Bordeaux, can I recommend Le Bar à Vin at the top of Allée d Orléans, which is run by the local wine society, the wines are priced from 3- 8 Euro per glass and the smoked duck accompaniment is delicious.

Looking forward to your next instalment

You shouldn't need to do it but my strategy when they cannot deliver the wine at the same time as the meal is to go in to the reastaurant with a glass of wine from the bar as it is very annoying when the meal arrives before the wine. Thank for the posts really helpful for our upcoming voyage. It's also a shame about the included vs non included drinks.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Forums mobile app

You shouldn't need to do it but my strategy when they cannot deliver the wine at the same time as the meal is to go in to the reastaurant with a glass of wine from the bar as it is very annoying when the meal arrives before the wine. Thank for the posts really helpful for our upcoming voyage. It's also a shame about the included vs non included drinks.

We encounter the same problem on HAL when we buy their drinks package, wine by the glass has to be sourced from an outside bar (unlike on Celebrity where they have the bottles in the dining room). We always took a glass in with us, otherwise we were waiting until half way through the main course for wine! On some occasions I even left the mdr to get wine myself , that usually got the sommelier hopping (more a policy problem than the staff). I am mildly concerned about the constant criticism/confusion around drinks on Azamara (we are upgrading for a reason!)

Enjoying the commentary

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums

We were on Journey and disembarked yesterday. Can confirm that no peanuts or appetisers were offered to guests waiting in Discoveries to go into dinner. We tended to have our pre dinner drinks in the Living Room, where nuts and tapas were provided. We asked for another key card holder as only one was initially offered.

Lynne:)

Lynne,

I was on the same cruise and was offered both peanuts and a dish of cheese, olives and another choice while having pre dinnner drinks. Also asked for a second key holder and received it. BYW, Celebrity no longer provides them,at least not to those in Aqua.

Agnes

Things like this mystify me. My prior experience has been on a true all inclusive, where although they may have some service issues with the meals they are prompt with the wine while you are waiting, and you don’t have to swipe your key card. Azamara’s prices are at luxury level and it sounds like the ships are wonderful, but the apparent pettiness of the drink policies seems counterproductive. The last thing I would think they would want their customers to remember is that time they had to leave the restaurant to get a glass of wine to share with their meal or the time they had to debate a bartender to order a cocktail. Of course, it may be different once onboard, so I’m keeping an open mind.

I very much hope you're right. I'm only responding to the live commentary. My only personal experience is from a couple of years back where I found the waiters had a habit of staring straight in front rather than catching your eye. I'm hopeful it won't be like that when I'm on board in a couple of months. Here's hoping.

I very much hope you're right. I'm only responding to the live commentary. My only personal experience is from a couple of years back where I found the waiters had a habit of staring straight in front rather than catching your eye. I'm hopeful it won't be like that when I'm on board in a couple of months. Here's hoping.

We have never had food arrive before the wine.

If you are really worried about wine not arriving before your meal, you could be proactive.

When your server brings your menus, let him / her know you would like some wine to sip while you peruse the menu.

We have spent a lovely day near Bordeaux on an independent shared wine tour. There were two others from the ship, the rest in our group of 8 were random internationals from the US and the UK. We had considered the ship’s tour but this was smaller and less expensive. The tour included generous wine tours and tastings at three different properties and a walking tour of St Emilion. We used Ophorus tour. Highly recommended!

It was the White Night party tonight. The buffet was excellent with expanded offerings including frogs legs, escargot, lobster and crab. There was an emphasis on seafood together with an expansive selection of cheeses and crepes Suzette for dessert . The entertainment was fine but geared to an older demographic. In saying that, we are not particularly young at 59 and 60.

That leads to my general observations about the demographic of the other passengers. I also appreciate that age is an attitude and not a number. Other than being some of the youngest on this cruise, we observed a couple of other incidents tonight in the Living Room. We watched as one mature lady approached the DJ and told him to “Remember the age group “. She left in a huff when the DJ did not change the music from early Madonna: “ I don’t live here anymore “. The music was background as it was about 10 minutes from the start of the disco.

Another gentleman approached the DJ and asked him to turn the music down because his group wanted to talk ....this was the disco and the same DJ who has played a broad variety of music to appeal to all tastes throughout the week. He was treated unfairly as he just tried to do his job.

We have had the opportunity to speak with other passengers on our day tours yesterday and today. A number of us are first time Azamara cruisers. Most have chosen this cruise based on the itinerary and the representations that this would be a luxury or boutique type cruise. The price point is similar to Oceania, Silversea or Regent, but the product is not.

No one we have spoken to has complained about the food. The consensus is that the food is good to excellent. The service and the wines offered however are far below the standard of the cruise lines mentioned above. For the price Azamara demands, this is not acceptable. Confusion remains over which liquors are included in each package and wine service at dinner being painfully slow and inadequate is a consistent complaint.

Public washrooms are dated and not well maintained. There is a lack of attention to detail, i.e. hand soap in the dispensers. One passenger told me that not all the laundry machines are in working order ( they were on embarkation day) . Others have commented that the crew is not that friendly and some servers tend to avoid your gaze in the restaurants, a problem if something extra is required. Our experience has been mixed. Some servers are simply excellent and others have no concept of refined service, particularly in the dining room.

We are not loyal to any particular cruise company. We choose our holidays based on the itinerary. Though we are generally enjoying the cruise and the unique features of the White Night and the upcoming Azamazing Evening, we feel this cruise falls short in service, enrichment experiences (lectures) and quality of the wines and spirits included and those in the supplemental packages. It does not meet the standard represented in its promotional materials.

We are off to Bilbao tomorrow after a last minute itinerary change. We will miss St Jean de Luz apparently due to work being undertaken at the port. This is a disappointment but not the fault of Azamara. We will keep hoping for improvements in service.

This has been a difficult post to write. I do not want to be unfair and there are some very good aspects to this cruise, it just does not match the cruise line’s promotional materials or our experience elsewhere. Perhaps with constructive criticisms there will be improvements for future cruisers.

Tomorrow is another day....

Things like this mystify me. My prior experience has been on a true all inclusive, where although they may have some service issues with the meals they are prompt with the wine while you are waiting, and you don’t have to swipe your key card. Azamara’s prices are at luxury level and it sounds like the ships are wonderful, but the apparent pettiness of the drink policies seems counterproductive. The last thing I would think they would want their customers to remember is that time they had to leave the restaurant to get a glass of wine to share with their meal or the time they had to debate a bartender to order a cocktail. Of course, it may be different once onboard, so I’m keeping an open mind.

I suspect the issue here may be when you buy an upgraded beverage package, which we have never done. As far as the included wines are concerned we have never had a problem being served at dinner (or any other time). Our glasses are usually filled pretty much as soon as we sit down, and frequently re-filled - in fact sometimes too quickly!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I suspect the issue here may be when you buy an upgraded beverage package, which we have never done. As far as the included wines are concerned we have never had a problem being served at dinner (or any other time). Our glasses are usually filled pretty much as soon as we sit down, and frequently re-filled - in fact sometimes too quickly!

Interesting. I have been contemplating buying the Ultimate Package to get the better wines by the glass, but if it means slower service then it may not be worth it.

We have upgraded to the Ultimate Package on our last few cruises and have not had many problems with either bar or wine service. Most of the bar staff get to know you after the first couple of days and remember your folio number so showing your cards becomes a rarity.

As for wines once you have chosen your wine for the evening/lunch it's usually kept to hand, exception seems to be the Patio where theres no bar. Usually we select our wine at the bar prior to dining and the sommelier and or bar staff will help and provide tasters if required, after which the wine service is often too good with glasses magically filling up.

As a long time Azamara cruiser I am finding Pirouette’s observations very interesting. My last cruise, a back to back on Quest in June was excellent. The crew were wonderful, friendly and capable but this was before Pursuit was operational. I wonder if some of the service issues mentioned are because some of the wait staff are new and not yet familiar with the Azamara ethos.

It is a shame that a newbie is expressing disappointment and I hope the experience improves in the coming days.

Prices for 2019 are high imo and I am also researching other options but must also say that having started cruising with Azamara in 2008 have always enjoyed a lovely vacation

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have upgraded to the Ultimate Package on our last few cruises and have not had many problems with either bar or wine service. Most of the bar staff get to know you after the first couple of days and remember your folio number so showing your cards becomes a rarity.

As for wines once you have chosen your wine for the evening/lunch it's usually kept to hand, exception seems to be the Patio where theres no bar. Usually we select our wine at the bar prior to dining and the sommelier and or bar staff will help and provide tasters if required, after which the wine service is often too good with glasses magically filling up.

Agree totally, the package is an absolute red herring and we too have had no issues with them on Journey at all. I’m not doubting the issues are there, just the conclusions being made by others.

Pirhoette, have you spoken to anyone about the issue? If I had a dollar for every time on Azamara they say please tell us if things are not right I would be able to pay the 2019 prices. Please speak to the restaurant manager, a head waiter or Heike. With 400 staff c100 of whom are first contract on Azamara training issues could still be there, no ones perfect.

I completed the midcruise evaluation and spoke to a crew member at reception. He was genuinely concerned about the service issues we have experienced. Again, it appears to be a function of a number of new staff who are still learning.

Having a premium or ultimate beverage package is a red herring. We are creatures of habit, eating in the same restaurants each day, at roughly the same time and always the same wine and cocktail order. After five nights it is no surprise where we will be and what we will want to drink. Other cruise lines have always kept our preferred wine nearby.

I was promised a follow up on these matters. I am hopeful for a turnaround.

Thank you Mackdogmolly, the tapas in the Living Room are indeed excellent. Too bad they are not offered elsewhere.

We arrived in Bilbao at 2pm after missing St Jean de Luz. It is beautiful and warm here and Azamara offers a shuttle into the center of town. We have tickets to the Gugenheim tomorrow but we went ito town to get our bearings. The outside of the museum is beautiful and a short walk from the drop off point. We are looking forward to seeing the inside tomorrow.

This was the first warm day with the chance for some pool time. The pool is salt water and a very pleasant temperature. There were lots of deck chairs available in the afternoon. It was also a great time to do laundry as most people were ashore. All machines were operational today.

We had an interesting experience at dinner . We have paid for the Ultimate bevarage package. Suddenly our preferred red wine was no longer available and Azamara proposed to substitute it with the included wine generally available to everyone. This did not go over well given what we had paid for the package.

We met with the hotel manager and were able to arrive at a solution. Azamara offered no other viable option by the glass in the Ultimate package, most surprising and unsatisfactory. She was able to locate a few more bottles of our preferred red which should take us to the end of the cruise. Though she was personable and professional, we never should have been put in this position. When Regent ran out of our preferred choice last September, they automatically upgraded passengers to a similar or superior option without any question. Azamara could learn from the Regent example.

Inconsistent service continues to be the norm. Tonight it was quicker but awkward given the problem with the availability of our preferred wine. There has been no follow up as promised to the concerns set out in my mid cruise review. Nothing has changed.

Thank you Mackdogmolly, the tapas in the Living Room are indeed excellent. Too bad they are not offered elsewhere.

We arrived in Bilbao at 2pm after missing St Jean de Luz. It is beautiful and warm here and Azamara offers a shuttle into the center of town. We have tickets to the Gugenheim tomorrow but we went ito town to get our bearings. The outside of the museum is beautiful and a short walk from the drop off point. We are looking forward to seeing the inside tomorrow.

This was the first warm day with the chance for some pool time. The pool is salt water and a very pleasant temperature. There were lots of deck chairs available in the afternoon. It was also a great time to do laundry as most people were ashore. All machines were operational today.

We had an interesting experience at dinner . We have paid for the Ultimate bevarage package. Suddenly our preferred red wine was no longer available and Azamara proposed to substitute it with the included wine generally available to everyone. This did not go over well given what we had paid for the package.

We met with the hotel manager and were able to arrive at a solution. Azamara offered no other viable option by the glass in the Ultimate package, most surprising and unsatisfactory. She was able to locate a few more bottles of our preferred red which should take us to the end of the cruise. Though she was personable and professional, we never should have been put in this position. When Regent ran out of our preferred choice last September, they automatically upgraded passengers to a similar or superior option without any question. Azamara could learn from the Regent example.

Inconsistent service continues to be the norm. Tonight it was quicker but awkward given the problem with the availability of our preferred wine. There has been no follow up as promised to the concerns set out in my mid cruise review. Nothing has changed.

Pirouette following along from your invite on Regent board. Enjoying this thread, and I also enjoyed your Mariner cruise blog. It’s good to read how you find the differences between the cruise lines, also noting your Silversea cruise experience too. Enjoy the rest of your cruise and thanks for posting your observations. Jean.

Very surprised they offered the included wines, in May on Journey and August on Pursuit the supply of some of the Ultimate Package wines dried up, probably down to us. However the sommelier always came up with a choice of suitable alternatives from the wine list, sometimes it was their recomendation other times we were offered a few alternatives to try.

It always pays to talk with the sommelier as the table waiters probably won't have the knowledge or authority to suggest a substitute.

Very surprised they offered the included wines, in May on Journey and August on Pursuit the supply of some of the Ultimate Package wines dried up, probably down to us. However the sommelier always came up with a choice of suitable alternatives from the wine list, sometimes it was their recomendation other times we were offered a few alternatives to try.

It always pays to talk with the sommelier as the table waiters probably won't have the knowledge or authority to suggest a substitute.

I agree it always pays to have a chat with the Sommelier.

On our last cruise we did not purchase a package but on some nights did buy some excellent end of bin wines at a good discount, worked well for us.

I also agree with Uktog, if the excellent Heike cannot resolve any issues nobody can.

Edited by Bloodaxe

I am pleased to report that I received a telephone message yesterday acknowledging my mid cruise feedback and indicating that my comments had been forwarded to “management”. The dining room manager also approached at breakfast today and was again grateful for the feedback. He wanted to know where they could improve. We had a brief and open discussion and I am satisfied that the concerns raised are being taken seriously by Azamara.

I understand that there is a learning curve for new staff. Given an option, we will now try to sit in the section of the dining room served by the more experienced servers. That being said, I reiterate that the food on Azamara, from our perspective, is superior to the other cruise lines we have cruised, including Regent and Oceania.

Again, I recognize that food is subjective, but we are not luxury cruise newbies and have experienced offerings on those Regent , Oceania and Silversea. Oceania touts the best food at sea. It is very good, but to our taste, Azamara is better. Silversea offers better pizza (it’s an Italian run company) and for some reason, better sushi. For the rest of the menu, including desserts and cheeses, Azamara excels.

I have complained about the wine list but there is not much that can be done ship side. The cellars are stocked based on orders from head office. The quality of the included wines and those on the beverage packages falls far short of both Oceania ‘s beverage package and Regent’s all inclusive wines. For those who share that view, concerns should be directed to head office.

When a cruise line holds itself out as providing a quasi luxury experience, they have to do better than offering a drinkable choice, it should be a quality and enjoyable choice. The options on the ultimate beverage package are what we would drink at home on a Wednesday evening. They are no remotely special and do not complement the excellent food.

We were overnight in Bilbao last evening. We took the time explore the outside of the Guggenheim museum yesterday. Today we did the inside and it was spectacular. We were pleased that we did the outside yesterday because we could be more leisurely on the inside today. There is a lot to see. Azamara provided a shuttle to the centre of town (about 20 minutes) and the museum was a five minute walk. So happy to have seen it.

We are off to the Azamaing evening in a couple of hours, a Basque concert in a unique venue. More later....

I have yet to sail Azamara but did one cruise on Regent, on our first night in the mdr we were offered “red or white” , hardly luxurious. We asked to see a more extensive selection and being the first night to try a couple of the wines, the wine steward response “this is not a wine tasting event”. Hmm. A polite enquirer by letter to the f&b manager asking if we were limited to one red and one white for the entirety of this all inclusive luxury cruise led to prompt improvement in offerings and service.

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums